Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Request for low-calorie desserts

(1/4) > >>

RuneGuardian:
I've been dieting for a few weeks...and while I've been pretty good about sticking to it, there are times when I would love to spoil myself with a brownie, a chunk of coffee cake, and so forth. My friend went grocery shopping with me the other day and he had to practically drag me away from a shelf holding a box of sprinkled chocolate donut holes. I did end up spoiling myself for the first time since I began the diet with a little ice cream from the local hospital cafeteria a few days ago.  :-[

Soooo, my question is this: Does anyone know of any good low-calorie recipes for desserts...preferably chocolatey desserts or cakes? I recall from my nutrition class last summer that substituting applesauce for cooking oil in box brownie mix can cut the calories (and they don't taste too bad, either). It's okay if the recipe is kind of high in fat - on my current diet, I tend to get less than half of the fat I need in a day, so I can afford a few extra grams of fat.

And right now, I'm dreaming about having a big chunk of yellow cake with the sickeningly sweet butter cream frosting.......  ;D

DottyG:
This answer isn't what you're, probably, wanting to hear.  But, I'll say it anyway.

I think you need to have a small piece of yellow cake with frosting.  Because the more you "dream" about it, the more "delicious" it becomes in your mind to the point that your craving will take over.  When that happens, the little piece that you could have now to satisfy that "dream" will become half the cake.

I love Weight Watchers.  I love their philosophy.  However, the one thing I don't like is their concept of "red light foods."  In my opinion, as soon as you make a food "red light" to the point that you can't have it, you destroy any hope of keeping an urge for it under control.  Tell someone that XYZ is "forbidden" and it's all the person will think about.

Other than that, I'll try to think of some desserts for you.  I think I have some good recipes, so I'll see if I can find some to share.

Harriet Jones:

--- Quote from: Dottyg on May 30, 2007, 05:52:11 PM ---
I think you need to have a small piece of yellow cake with frosting.  Because the more you "dream" about it, the more "delicious" it becomes in your mind to the point that your craving will take over.  When that happens, the little piece that you could have now to satisfy that "dream" will become half the cake.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  If your diet has enough leeway, have a *small* piece of cake every once in a while.  Making certain foods verboten just makes them *more* tempting. 

RuneGuardian:
*snicker* I already said when I reach my weight loss goal, I'm going to get my friend and I a big cake and we're going to celebrate. Trust me when I say I've been pretty good about my diet - I usually get my sugar cravings satiated with a strawberry daiquiri or a Pop Tart (which, surprisingly, have some nutritional value). I guess I'm starting to miss cake because I haven't had any for almost two years.

I found a recipe for a low-calorie white cake that I may attempt to make if I can get my hands on the proper-sized baking pan.

krista_e:
what about an angel food cake?  not to bad for you really, and you can always top it with some fruit or berries.

mmm.. now I want some cake too. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version