Author Topic: Request for low-calorie desserts  (Read 2574 times)

RuneGuardian

Request for low-calorie desserts
« on: May 30, 2007, 05:37:48 PM »
I've been dieting for a few weeks...and while I've been pretty good about sticking to it, there are times when I would love to spoil myself with a brownie, a chunk of coffee cake, and so forth. My friend went grocery shopping with me the other day and he had to practically drag me away from a shelf holding a box of sprinkled chocolate donut holes. I did end up spoiling myself for the first time since I began the diet with a little ice cream from the local hospital cafeteria a few days ago.  :-[

Soooo, my question is this: Does anyone know of any good low-calorie recipes for desserts...preferably chocolatey desserts or cakes? I recall from my nutrition class last summer that substituting applesauce for cooking oil in box brownie mix can cut the calories (and they don't taste too bad, either). It's okay if the recipe is kind of high in fat - on my current diet, I tend to get less than half of the fat I need in a day, so I can afford a few extra grams of fat.

And right now, I'm dreaming about having a big chunk of yellow cake with the sickeningly sweet butter cream frosting.......  ;D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Request for low-calorie desserts
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 05:52:11 PM »
This answer isn't what you're, probably, wanting to hear.  But, I'll say it anyway.

I think you need to have a small piece of yellow cake with frosting.  Because the more you "dream" about it, the more "delicious" it becomes in your mind to the point that your craving will take over.  When that happens, the little piece that you could have now to satisfy that "dream" will become half the cake.

I love Weight Watchers.  I love their philosophy.  However, the one thing I don't like is their concept of "red light foods."  In my opinion, as soon as you make a food "red light" to the point that you can't have it, you destroy any hope of keeping an urge for it under control.  Tell someone that XYZ is "forbidden" and it's all the person will think about.

Other than that, I'll try to think of some desserts for you.  I think I have some good recipes, so I'll see if I can find some to share.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 05:56:09 PM »

I think you need to have a small piece of yellow cake with frosting.  Because the more you "dream" about it, the more "delicious" it becomes in your mind to the point that your craving will take over.  When that happens, the little piece that you could have now to satisfy that "dream" will become half the cake.

I agree.  If your diet has enough leeway, have a *small* piece of cake every once in a while.  Making certain foods verboten just makes them *more* tempting. 

RuneGuardian

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 06:50:42 PM »
*snicker* I already said when I reach my weight loss goal, I'm going to get my friend and I a big cake and we're going to celebrate. Trust me when I say I've been pretty good about my diet - I usually get my sugar cravings satiated with a strawberry daiquiri or a Pop Tart (which, surprisingly, have some nutritional value). I guess I'm starting to miss cake because I haven't had any for almost two years.

I found a recipe for a low-calorie white cake that I may attempt to make if I can get my hands on the proper-sized baking pan.

krista_e

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 07:03:57 PM »
what about an angel food cake?  not to bad for you really, and you can always top it with some fruit or berries.

mmm.. now I want some cake too. :)

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 10:05:09 PM »
Sugar free pudding cups work for me. 

Stormtreader

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 07:50:03 AM »
The weightwatchers frozen desserts are really nice actually, they have chocolatey and cheesecake ones.
I also buy icecreams llike minimilks - they only have about 80 calories each.

Mazdoy

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 10:17:46 AM »
What about a mix of lots of berries with a little bit of spray cream.  It works for me.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
What about a mix of lots of berries with a little bit of spray cream.  It works for me.

Mmmmm....or freeze the berries first.  Gives you a little crunch, so you have a different texture than usual.

Mazdoy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 10:38:46 AM »

Mmmmm....or freeze the berries first.  Gives you a little crunch, so you have a different texture than usual.

Or make the frozen berries into a smoothie and add a bit of honey!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 11:47:57 AM »

Or make the frozen berries into a smoothie and add a bit of honey!

Ok, now I'm hungry! :D

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 11:56:23 AM »
These take a little time but are very yummy, and also work well for a dinner party.

From the Mayo Clinic Cookbook (this has so many good recipes)

Warm Chocolate Soufflés
(183 calories)
Serves 6

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons hot water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground hazelnuts or almonds
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup 1 percent low-fat milk
4 egg whites
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
1 cup fresh berries (I prefer raspberries or blackberries, but strawberries are good too)

Method

Preheat oven to 375˚. Lightly coat six 1-cup individual soufflé dishes, or ramekins with cooking spray. You can also use a 6-cup soufflé dish instead.

In a bowl, combine the cocoa and hot water, stirring until smooth. Set aside.

In a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the canola oil and stir to combine. Add the flour, hazelnuts (or almonds) and cinnamon, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in the brown sugar, honey and salt. Gradually add the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir into the cocoa mixture. Let cool slightly.

In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy with an electric mixer. Add the granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold one-third of the egg whites into the cocoa mixture to lighten it. Then fold the remaining egg whites into the cocoa mixture, mixing just until no white streaks remain.

Gently scoop the cocoa-egg white mixture into the prepared dishes (or dish). Bake until soufflé rises above the rim and is set in the center, 15-20 minutes for individual soufflés or 40-45 minutes for the large soufflé. Dust the top with the confectioner's sugar. Serve immediately, with the berries of your choice.

twinkletoes

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 01:07:04 PM »
I agree with DottyG.  As soon as you tell yourself you can't have a particular food, you'll want it morning, noon, and night.  It's something I had to tell my husband for months to get him to understand.  I had to tell him time and time again that yes, I really do need to have a bit of chocolate every day so I can lose weight.  If I didn't have that little bite, I'd scarf down an entire candy bar the first chance I got.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Skinny Cow ice cream - that stuff is nasty.  You're probably better off having a smaller portion of regular ice cream.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 01:29:14 PM »
what about an angel food cake?  not to bad for you really, and you can always top it with some fruit or berries.

mmm.. now I want some cake too. :)

Oooh my favorite?  Grilled angel food cake.  Seriously.  Grill it lightly and then top with mint and some crushed and whole berries.  Top with a little bit of whipped cream, if you'd like (I like it without).

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 05:27:22 AM »
here's my suggestions, for what it's worth:

first of all, I am quite heavy now, have been battling with my weight, off and on, most of life. What really works is to really change your lifestyle and attitudes toward food and health. and i really truly believe (from my own, and other people's experience) that once you achieve that, the "need" for chocolatey gooey sweet stuff really disappears. really, it does work. the trick is to be consistent.

I can't tell you how to change your attitude, because different strokes for different folks. all i can tell you is that if you really work at this - eat healthy foods (NOT DIET FOODS!! THEY ARE THE WORST THING FOR DIETERS!!), exercise, and find healthy (non-fattening) outlets for your frustrations etc, then you are on your way.

what do i have for dessert?
usualy - nothing. (yes, i succeeded in losing that 'need' for something sweet).
i do make my own brownies - i use butter or oil (no margerine) and only real high quality products. no lower fat, reduced fat, diet stuff. i always put in much less sugar than the recipes tells you, usualy you can cut it by half or a third. i cut them smaller than the recipe directs you, and keep them in the freezer (underbake them by 1-2 minutes, this way they are fudgey-er). i alternate the brownies with home made granola bars. but you have to know yourself - if having the brownines in the freezer is going to make you eat alot of them - then don't do it. just buy yourself *a* brownie, in the best bakery in town, and enjoy it.

i also make a big fruit salad 1-2 times a week (i mean HUGE) and DS and I nibble at it all week long. sometimes i pour a few tablespoons of yougurt on top (again, real yogurt).

sometimes i wil take rice cakes with a little peanut butter and no-sugar jam or honey. (i buy a jam that is made from fruit and natural fruit juice with no sugar, no fake sugar either).

i make poached pears in wine, in the winter - yummy.

so that's how i get around it. but to me - it starts in the head, i need ed to recondition the way i think, and to change my attitudes toward MY health, and it made a big difference. i can look with indifference at most cakes and candies, it just doesn't interest me any more because 'it's really not worth it'.

good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools