Author Topic: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!  (Read 62020 times)

Tigger

• Always having fun
  • Life is hard. After all, it kills you - K Hepburn
Re: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2011, 08:50:35 PM »
Oh that conspiracy!!  We definately didn't fall for THAT one.  I have a wonderful ring that I picked out http://www.claddagh-house.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=155&category_id=20&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26
I sent the link to my DH and he loved the fact I took the stress out of shopping.  My ring is with a Canadian diamond and in 14K gold.

The extra money we saved on not spending two months salary went into our house  ;D

Ontario

glacio

« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2011, 01:14:49 AM »
Sorry, the "conspiracy" that I mentioned is the back holding of diamonds to run up the prices. Diamonds are not that uncommon and so the prices should actually be a lot lower. De Beers managed to greatly decrease the supply while running up the demand with their ads. Historically, when they had a lot of bigger diamonds, they would push the large engagement rings and a shipment of smaller diamonds meant a push for eternity rings.

It's an incredible business strategy and worked brilliantly. They even managed to get around the US's monopoly laws, although I can't recall how now (I think the executives weren't allowed to set foot in America for awhile).

As I said in my previous message, I am very analytical and so this is what a diamond means to me. It doesn't matter where they were mined or any of the other social "issues", diamonds have been demoted to a business case study for me.

I'm a dork. I know.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2011, 03:51:11 AM »
I love emeralds, but I wouldn't want one for an engagement ring because they are so soft and I'm hard on my hands (in other words, clumsy). I've cracked an emerald before.  :(

I've never had one; and now that I think of it, as long as it's green, I don't care :)

You have made me think, though, because it's not that I'm all that clumsy with my hands (just the rest of my body), but I tend to do very rough things with my hands.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2011, 06:46:05 PM »
I love emeralds, but I wouldn't want one for an engagement ring because they are so soft and I'm hard on my hands (in other words, clumsy). I've cracked an emerald before.  :(

I've never had one; and now that I think of it, as long as it's green, I don't care :)

You have made me think, though, because it's not that I'm all that clumsy with my hands (just the rest of my body), but I tend to do very rough things with my hands.

There are green diamonds: 
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Mental Magpie

« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2011, 07:12:08 PM »

;D ;D ;D
I knew there were black ones and yellow ones and blue ones, but not green ones.  You just made my very happy!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »
I knew there were black ones and yellow ones and blue ones, but not green ones.  You just made my very happy!

Glad I could help.  That one is Mrs.k2002's engagement/wedding ring.  She's pretty rough on her hands, so having the diamond helps.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »
Try tsavorite or chrome diopside for green too.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
The funny thing is, I know a lot about rocks, but just about nothing about gems.

I have a really pretty termaline necklace that I love, but it's not polished and thus not shiny.

Thanks for the tips artk2002 and Valentines Mommy!

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »
I too have a Canadian diamond and I was under the impression they're conflict free.  Please correct me if I am wrong  :(

*Looks out front door*

Nope, no bloody civil war raging here.

lkb

« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »
I'm not sure what the DeBoers controversy is (though I can guess), but if it has to do with the old saw that an engagement/wedding band must equal a certain percentage of the giver's salary, I say "hogwash." How on earth does that matter in any way?

I have a plain wedding band and a matching engagement ring with a simple diamond. Not a speck but not a huge honkin' rock either. It's like my mother's and it's all I've ever wanted. Just not into jewelry.

Portugal79

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
My cousin has an allergy to gold, so her engagement and wedding rings are silver. very nice, simple and elegant with no gem stones. the amount of people who think her husband is cheap for not splashing out on a rock the size of an eyeball

also when my sister was pregnant naturally her very slender finders swelled up, as she couldn't wear her wedding ring or any of her normal rings i told her she could help herself from my jewellery box (my fingers are fuller then hers) i thought she would pick my favourite ruby or sapphire ring. instead she choose a skill and cross bones ring that was a left over from my goth days. i think she loved for 6 months showing people new new wedding ring!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »
My cousin has an allergy to gold, so her engagement and wedding rings are silver. very nice, simple and elegant with no gem stones. the amount of people who think her husband is cheap for not splashing out on a rock the size of an eyeball

also when my sister was pregnant naturally her very slender finders swelled up, as she couldn't wear her wedding ring or any of her normal rings i told her she could help herself from my jewellery box (my fingers are fuller then hers) i thought she would pick my favourite ruby or sapphire ring. instead she choose a skill and cross bones ring that was a left over from my goth days. i think she loved for 6 months showing people new new wedding ring!

Heehee!! That rocks!  I have a skull and crossbones ring too, though I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than yours is, as I think I got it at Walmart for $10 tops.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Portugal79

« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »

Heehee!! That rocks!  I have a skull and crossbones ring too, though I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than yours is, as I think I got it at Walmart for $10 tops.

acatually mine is about the same in the uk (about 7 english pounds), i was a goth for most of my teenage years. until i realised i didn't have to wear the "outfit" to enjoy (and i still do the music). i am still friends with people from the goth scene and they are still shocked when i go to the goth pub down the street, wearing casual clothes...but can still scream out Nine Inch Nails but regarding my sister as she fell pregenent so soon after her wedding and it was a overseas affair, most of my family hadn't seen the ring. So you can imagine at family gathering, my sister sith her expanding stomach showing off that ring. the best thing was , she never corrected them and naturally being polite they usually complimated her "unique choice"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:29:43 AM by Portugal79 »

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Yup, it's a rarer color, which makes them a bit pricey, but they are out there. I'm wearing one now, it was my Grandmother's (Grandpa was a jeweler).
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2011, 03:47:47 PM »
I'm always glad of an excuse to show off my ring (engagement ring when we were engaged, wedding ring now that we're married).

This is from the jeweler's site:

Mine is made of white gold, with amethysts, lapis, opal and sugillate (like lapis, but purple)
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).