Author Topic: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!  (Read 66326 times)

wheeitsme

Re: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »
My husband had a horrible time getting me my pearl engagement ring.  They kept trying to push diamonds.  I LIKE pearls.  I could care less about diamonds.  He knew that.  He ended up spinning a story about my being ethically opposed to diamonds due to the bloody diamond trade before they helped him with pearls...

Is it really bad, that I find that really amusing?

No, I found it  funny too.

However, the thing about pearls is that they are really fragile and not well suited to every day use as rings.   I have a pearl and diamond ring that my dad gave my mom and I've had the replace pearls on it twice before I retired for special occasion use only.

My wedding set has a 1/3 carat diamond with excellent color and clarity with sapphire and diamond wrap.  The only thing I would ever change about it would be I would have preferred white to yellow gold.  It's never occurred to me to exchanged it for something different..........I've had it nearly 19 years now.

Yeah. After the wedding I only wore it for special occasions.  Then it got stolen.  Now I sometimes wear my mother's emerald and gold band with my wedding ring.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 07:38:08 PM »
I think it's absolutely no one else's business what someone else is wearing for a wedding ring, if anything.  For many years my mother's severe metal allergy kept her from wearing almost every type of jewelry except for pins.  Finally, my dad bought her a 24K gold band and had the inside treated, and she was able to wear that.   However, if someone had said to my mother that my dad didn't love her very much since he hadn't given her a diamond (her original wedding set had diamonds) she'd have told them what they could do with their opinion.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »
I was given my grandmother's engagement ring as a gift.  My grandparents couldn't afford a ring when they were young and engaged.  It just wasn't financially possible.  After about 6 years of marriage, my grandfather was finally able to buy her a ring.  She didn't want a diamond.  Instead she chose a gold ring (1940s) with a cameo on a black background.  The face of the ring can be flipped over to a plain black onyx.  It is stunningly beautiful and it is my only special occasion ring (and fits me perfectly).

I defy anyone to tell me my grandfather didn't love my grandmother because she didn't get a large stone.

kitty-cat

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 11:04:34 AM »
My mom's birthstone is Saphaire, and so she really prefers when her ring has saphaires in it.

My birthstone is Garnet. Mainly paired with a gold ring.... My BF knows this, or at least he should from all of the 10-ton hints I've told him...  Eh, step one is to finish college before we talk about that seriously though.

I just don't like diamonds, too flashy for my taste. I just think that a garnet stone is just prettier...

NE Florida

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
I was given my grandmother's engagement ring as a gift.  My grandparents couldn't afford a ring when they were young and engaged.  It just wasn't financially possible.  After about 6 years of marriage, my grandfather was finally able to buy her a ring.  She didn't want a diamond.  Instead she chose a gold ring (1940s) with a cameo on a black background.  The face of the ring can be flipped over to a plain black onyx.  It is stunningly beautiful and it is my only special occasion ring (and fits me perfectly).

I defy anyone to tell me my grandfather didn't love my grandmother because she didn't get a large stone.

I love that story!   

From what I've been told by my own grandparents and others who had parents or grandparents during the 2nd world war, most people then did not have BWW's at all.   The couple usually went to the courthouse in a suit or military uniform for the groom and the bride's nicest dress, one she made or an inexpensive one she bought for the occasion. 

If they had a wedding ring at all, it was a simple but lovely one.   Personally I find that to be more romantic than the BWW, but that's just me.   But I'm a sucker for old fashioned romance. ;)   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Amalthea

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 01:09:18 PM »
My mom's birthstone is Saphaire, and so she really prefers when her ring has saphaires in it.

My birthstone is Garnet. Mainly paired with a gold ring.... My BF knows this, or at least he should from all of the 10-ton hints I've told him...  Eh, step one is to finish college before we talk about that seriously though.

I just don't like diamonds, too flashy for my taste. I just think that a garnet stone is just prettier...

Garnets are really underrated, aren't they?  I think the only stone I'd be a little disappointed in receiving would be a ruby because I really prefer garnets for red stones.  It's my birthstone too, so I'm also a little bit biased. :D  My favorite of the moment changes just about every time I pass a jewelry store (right now it's amethyst and rose gold), but I always love garnets.   

Mrs. Pilgrim

• I use cleaning for therapy. The carpets don't brag about needing cleaning, and the dishes don't diss me.
  • I love waffles--but only the food kind.
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 07:27:27 PM »
She insisted dh "Owed" me a diamond ring of some sort.  I showed her a ring DH got me for our 5th anniversary that had rubies and diamonds in it.  That didn't count.  I should have a huge "rock" and told me "You need to tell that boy to buy you a diamond!"

Am I weird for finding particularly offensive the co-worker's referring to the husband as a "boy"?

Misandry makes my eyes get all deadly.
"Use the proper word, not its second cousin." --Mark Twain, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »
I'll say one thing if any ever says I need a "bigger" stone. My sweetheart spent two months researching diamonds, listened when I asked for a small stone with a white gold setting and drove twenty hours across the country to suprise me with the ring and proposal. When he slid it onto my finger and asked me to marry him, no other ring on the face of the earth would ever hold the same value as when he put this one on my finger.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 09:12:30 AM »
Garnets are really underrated, aren't they?  I think the only stone I'd be a little disappointed in receiving would be a ruby because I really prefer garnets for red stones.  It's my birthstone too, so I'm also a little bit biased. Cheesy  My favorite of the moment changes just about every time I pass a jewelry store (right now it's amethyst and rose gold), but I always love garnets.

I love garnets too.   A friend of mine let me have a marcasite and garnet ring she had that didn't fit her very well and I love it!  She also gave me an opal and diamond ring of hers that didn't fit her very well.  LOL It's like getting hand-me-downs from a cool big sis.  The cool thing is that opal and diamond are my sons birthstones (April and October) so it fits! :)

Am I weird for finding particularly offensive the co-worker's referring to the husband as a "boy"?

Misandry makes my eyes get all deadly.

No, not weird.  I would say it might have been because she was older, but other friends who are older than us don't call DH a "Boy". 

I'll say one thing if any ever says I need a "bigger" stone. My sweetheart spent two months researching diamonds, listened when I asked for a small stone with a white gold setting and drove twenty hours across the country to suprise me with the ring and proposal. When he slid it onto my finger and asked me to marry him, no other ring on the face of the earth would ever hold the same value as when he put this one on my finger.

AWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! Okay, that made me melt!!  That's so sweeeet!!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 11:59:20 AM »
Oh she rolled her eyes and made a comment about him being lucky to not have a wife who's willing to demand what she deserves.   ::)

She was a very shallow woman so it really didn't surprise me in the least that she felt like this and thought I should too.   

What a ridiculous cow. If my DH came home with a big fat diamond for me, he'd be sleeping on the couch. Seriously. Whether I "deserve" a diamond or not, I do not want one. I bet she'd roll her eyes so hard at me that she'd see her brain.

RubyDoomsday

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 05:41:09 PM »
I think the problem really comes down to the fact that we now have WAAAYYYYY too much information on what celebrities and such are getting for their rings (and even non-celebrity celebrities like the Kardashian krew et al). It puts this false idea into people's minds that getting a honking ring is the ONLY acceptable kind. And the wedding industry hasn't helped by informing us that "How do you know he is serious unless he forks over half a years worth of salary??" (because that is what those little sparkly beasts cost)

I want a diamond ring when I get engaged because I like the simplicity and the universality of the clear stone, not because it is the only way I will believe my betrothed loves me.

I think every bride needs to write the worlds "And why would I want to do that?" on her hand everyday for the engagement process in order to combat the litany of "suggestions" for ring upgrades.

DianeRN

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 09:04:54 PM »
My ring has one center stone that is about 1/5 carat and four tiny channel set stones on each side. The wedding band is matching channel set. Three things make it perfect: 1. He picked it out knowing my taste; 2. it was a total surprise; 3. he paid CASH without having to save for months and months. 

Amava

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 09:12:33 PM »
Ooooh.... that sort of attitude makes my blood boil!
Mine too. I don't understand it at all. I'm not into jewelry so why on earth should I spend money on it or make someone else spend money on it?

Correction: I'm not into *wearing* or *possessing* jewelry. I like looking at jewelry and I will give other's people jewelry sufficient enthusiastic attention when they ask for it. I will give it attention for its beauty - but don't start talking to me about the price cause I'll beandip. TMI for me, I don't want to know the worth of what other people wear, or how they spend their money!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 11:31:10 PM »
I like jewelry myself, but mostly things that I just find are really pretty and/or have some sort of meaning for me even if its because it's from someone special to me.

The garnet and marcasite ring? Just because a friend gave it to me, really.  I also have a silver jade ring she once got for me on eBay, too, and the opal and diamond ring.   

Then there's the blue goldstone ring I recently got myself on eBay, and I love the way blue goldstone looks like the night sky. 

And I tend to make my own jewelry too, mostly necklaces and bracelets, though since I've found a really neat bead store nearby that has regular classes, I'm thinking of taking one or two to learn how to make more things.

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 12:34:45 AM »
I was once told that my ring was a piece of junk and that I should have thrown it in my husband's face. Well, it is a Sears jewelry counter special (cost less than $100) but 1.) I picked it out and 2.) if my husband had spent any more for a ring I would have rethought our entire compatibility. I'm a very practical person and I didn't care how much it cost as long as it looked pleasant and was completely unostentatious (which is apparently not a word).  I don't like to stick out. I know that's hard for some people to understand. If my husband would have decided to spend significantly more than what I instructed him I would have been pretty upset.

The thing is that the person who told me this was a man who was attempting to flirt with me. I got away from him about as fast as possible. I'm sure his underlying scheme was to convince me that I deserved better, and and by the way he is better. No thank you. I onder if anyone actually falls for that kind of thing?  ::)