Author Topic: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!  (Read 64283 times)

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
Re: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010, 01:45:58 AM »
Heh, *I'm* the one who bought our wedding rings.  I am pretty much allergic to most metals except for sterling silver.  So of course the rings would be sterling siver.  Then a friend of mine who has a small side business with jewelry had a catalog she let me look through, and I found some nice celtic knotwork rings that came in men's and women's sizes.

And I spent a whole $35 for each ring.   ;D ;D

Funny story with that, I figured on getting 2 of each, so that when DH and I lost weight, we could have them cut down.  Well, at a rpg gaming session, his ring somehow breaks at the weld, and his friends are joking that he has freedom for a little while, and I say "Don't worry honey, I have the other ring at home"  and the guys are all saying "She bought a duplicate ring?!?!? You're doomed!!!"    ;D ;D

Oh, and no engagement ring, and no diamond.  If i had to have a stone, it would probably be a moonstone, like a ring I wear on another finger.

Orisha

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
Unfortunately, it's not just stones that people feel the need to comment on.  My engagement and wedding rings are yellow gold.  I can't tell you how many people have tried to tell me that it's "tacky" that I didn't go platinum.  I happen to like yellow gold, first of all.  Second of all, my DH couldn't afford platinum.  I wasn't about to ask him to go bankrupt and honestly, it could have been a ring out of a Cracker Jack box and I would have been happy with it - for me, it's the sentiment behind it.

kitty_ev

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 09:25:20 AM »
Unfortunately, it's not just stones that people feel the need to comment on.  My engagement and wedding rings are yellow gold.  I can't tell you how many people have tried to tell me that it's "tacky" that I didn't go platinum.  I happen to like yellow gold, first of all.  Second of all, my DH couldn't afford platinum.  I wasn't about to ask him to go bankrupt and honestly, it could have been a ring out of a Cracker Jack box and I would have been happy with it - for me, it's the sentiment behind it.

Good grief, gold's supposed to be the 'eternal metal'! There's supposed to be all this symbolism about yellow gold and surviving into eternity. It's also traditionally the only yellow metal in use, so was a sign of status. Platinum is pretty, but it's another silver metal like so many others (not that any silvery metal isn't pretty, don't get me wrong- I love silver metals!). The people telling you yellow gold is 'tacky' are seriously strange.

RubyDoomsday

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »
The whole yellow gold thing is silly. I think it depends upon the woman's colouring and what looks best on her. On me, yellow gold looks cheap because I am very pale with a rose tint to me, silvers even look a little odd. Actually dark gunmetals look the best because I am so pale. However, several of my friends have darker skin and silver rings don't look nearly as nice as gold rings do against their skintones.

I blame SATC for prepetuating the myth of the "tacky gold ring." Also for putting the idea out there that it is ever okay to call the symbol of someone's love and dedication "tacky" in the first place.

(SPOILERS: for those unfamilar, in "Sex and the City" one of the characters sees a ring their boyfriend is planning to propose to them with. The ring is a pear shaped diamond with a gold ban and all the other girls go "Ewwww" in disgust when she tells them about it later....the ring is later switched for a 70K 5 carat Harry Winston ring.)

PaddedPaws

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 04:39:16 PM »
If I ever get engaged, I would have a very difficult time with anybody insulting my fiance's gifts to me. Personally, I would actually prefer not to have an engagement ring. But if I change my mind, or somehow end up getting one, I would be incensed at anybody disparaging a gift of betrothal from my intendended spouse. I'm glad I have ehell to prepare me to react in a civilized manner to such a situation. I'm glad you were able to keep your cool, Piratelvr1121.

kitty_ev

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 05:07:46 PM »
I think engagement rings are a perfect example of beauty being in the eye of the recipient. If the recipient is happy with his/her ring, then that's all that matters. I don't think anyone else has the right to insult their ring whether their opinion on the ring is solicited or not. Engagement rings are one of those occasions where a polite "Oh my goodness, that is beautiful!" is always warranted. Even if a ring isn't to your taste, there's always something about it that is beautiful and it's absolutely inexcusable to insult someone's engagement ring.

RubyDoomsday

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 05:46:43 PM »
I think engagement rings are a perfect example of beauty being in the eye of the recipient. If the recipient is happy with his/her ring, then that's all that matters. I don't think anyone else has the right to insult their ring whether their opinion on the ring is solicited or not. Engagement rings are one of those occasions where a polite "Oh my goodness, that is beautiful!" is always warranted. Even if a ring isn't to your taste, there's always something about it that is beautiful and it's absolutely inexcusable to insult someone's engagement ring.

Agreed, I think this is like people who complain about the bride's choice in dress after the wedding. Unless you know for a fact that the bride hated her gown it is NEVER okay to say it didn't look good...and even then, you are not given the job to make her feel worse by saying "Yes, friend, that gown really did look that craptastic."

Engagement rings, babies and brides = beautiful

FunkyMunky

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 06:32:08 AM »
(SPOILERS: for those unfamilar, in "Sex and the City" one of the characters sees a ring their boyfriend is planning to propose to them with. The ring is a pear shaped diamond with a gold ban and all the other girls go "Ewwww" in disgust when she tells them about it later....the ring is later switched for a 70K 5 carat Harry Winston ring.)

I have a pear-shaped diamond (white gold band). Well, sort of. It's not actually a diamond. It's a very very clever lab-created fake. However, to the human eye, it's indistinguishable. DF plans to 'upgrade' it later to a platinum band and Argyle diamond. I frankly would be happy to keep my shiny ring as is, but he's insisting. :sigh: However, I have noticed that my friend, who has a lovely pink sapphire, has got some  negative comments, whereas no-one says anything about something that LOOKS like a diamond. It's weird.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 04:57:45 PM »
I'm glad you were able to keep your cool, Piratelvr1121.

Actually it was all I could do to avoid laughing at her!!  LOL!!  I tend to have strange reactions to things, sometimes.   While we were saying our vows at the wedding, while some brides might cry with happiness, I was giggling!

I guess I'm just easily amused, and instead of being insulted or mad, I was quite amused at coworkers shallow attitude!   The only thing, if anything at all, I would like if Dh offered to upgrade the ring is to get the same style with a bit of Connemara marble in the heart. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mopsy428

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
What is it with people and the emphasis on the stone? My cousin had this attitude that if her bf (now husband) really wanted her, he would get her at least a 2 carat diamond ring.  ::)

I like diamonds. It's my birthstone. I love the color blue, though, so I'm a big fan of blue diamonds. I've seen the Hope Diamond, and I have to confess that I wished it was mine!  :P

If my BF proposes, I don't think I'd care which stone he'd propose with!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2010, 09:08:42 PM »
I like diamonds. It's my birthstone. I love the color blue, though, so I'm a big fan of blue diamonds. I've seen the Hope Diamond, and I have to confess that I wished it was mine! 

My engagement ring is a heart-shaped sapphire with diamond chips around the edges so it does somewhat resemble the Hope Diamond.  AKA the "Heart of the Ocean" in Titanic.   I was a bit obsessed with the movie around the time DH proposed. :D :D

Our 10th anniversary's coming up this coming Saturday. :) :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RubyDoomsday

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »

I have a pear-shaped diamond (white gold band). Well, sort of. It's not actually a diamond. It's a very very clever lab-created fake. However, to the human eye, it's indistinguishable. DF plans to 'upgrade' it later to a platinum band and Argyle diamond. I frankly would be happy to keep my shiny ring as is, but he's insisting. :sigh: However, I have noticed that my friend, who has a lovely pink sapphire, has got some  negative comments, whereas no-one says anything about something that LOOKS like a diamond. It's weird.

My mother also has a pear shaped diamond with a gold band, so that is why I always remember the episode so well. I personally, do not like the style, but my mother LOVES her ring. My dad tried to upgrade it, and she refused.

FunkyMunky

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 08:02:09 AM »
I personally, do not like the style, but my mother LOVES her ring.

I think this is the main thing that matters with rings, but really for most anything - if the owner or recipient loves it, that's all that matters. And if you don't like it, there's no need to rain on their parade. I personally think my sister's wedding set is gaudy, but I would never say that to her.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »
However, I have noticed that my friend, who has a lovely pink sapphire, has got some  negative comments, whereas no-one says anything about something that LOOKS like a diamond. It's weird.

How do they know it's not a pink diamond?

I have a taste for (that is to say, I like the look of) pink diamonds, but I told my boyfriend that I've seen that they go for an arm and a leg and I'll be just as happy with a pink sapphire.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2010, 11:28:04 PM »
I would tell her I consider diamonds sinful.   Not that I do, of course, but it shuts people up.