Author Topic: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!  (Read 64092 times)

JacklynHyde

Re: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »
Wow.  My engagement ring is an opal (his birthstone) with a garnet chip (my birthstone) on either side.  I love that it's so unusual and that my husband didn't spend a ton of cash on it.  Our wedding bands are also practical (he wears tungsten and I wear titanium) because our jobs require our jewelry be durable.  If anything, the men with whom I work seem to admire my happiness with what my husband and I could afford without going into debt.

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2010, 11:21:11 PM »
Diamonds are pretty. Rubies are pretty. Most gems are pretty.
I don't like to wear them. When BF & I get married we want to get titanium rings (I really want a black one). I have told my mom this several times and each time she says, "Well you can get a diamond ring later."
I have to keep telling her that those aren't my style.

I *might* wear a sapphire ring (birthstone) but if I wear jewelry it is either very simple or funky. I'm not a diamond type of girl and never will be.
Some people just don't get it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
Well I did get an update to my ring as an anniversary present! :D  Well I haven't gotten it yet, but DH ordered it for me on St. Patrick's Day (the day I wish we could have gotten married on -the 20th is our anniversary)

Not a diamond on it and still a claddagh! The stone in the heart is Connemara marble, mined in the region of Ireland by the same name.  The gemstone is a peridot.    I can't wait for it to get here! :D :D

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.aol_refer.false.tpl.detail.msn_refer.false.item.J147422.ref.GBA?cm_ven=GOOGLEBASE&cm_cat=Jewelry&cm_pla=Rings&cm_ite=J147422
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »
That is beautiful!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »
Thanks!!  I think it is too!  And supposedly Connemara marble is said to bring one luck, so that's always good for a wedding ring!  :D :D 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kitty_ev

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 05:43:31 AM »
Oooooh! That's so pretty!

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 10:07:13 AM »
Thanks!!  I think it is too!  And supposedly Connemara marble is said to bring one luck, so that's always good for a wedding ring!  :D :D 

It truly is beautiful! :D

As for wedding rings, my husband and I originally bought medieval poison rings for our wedding rings - but he bowed to pressure from our friends and family and we ended up with way more traditional rings.  The poison rings are, however, on display in our shadowbox in our coffee table (long story) and he still refers to them as our "real" wedding rings.  The goof.   ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
Thanks!  It just arrived in the mail yesterday and it's so pretty! :) 

claddagh lass

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »
My Mom gets that.

The only reason my Mom's ring has a diamond is because it was on sale.

People have commented to her, "Why don't you have him [Dad] trade that diamond in for a bigger one?"

Mom would respond, "I like this ring."  One afternoon after having a particularly fustrating day someone made the remark causing Mom to snap and shout, "If you want me to have a bigger diamond ring then you pay for it!"

She never has been bothered again.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 05:44:10 PM »
That's a great reply!!!  LOL!!!   

And similar to what I say when people tell me I really ought to try for a girl since I have two boys.   I used to get this a lot when the boys were in daycare and because it was so expensive, if they really pushed the issue I'd jokingly ask "Will you pay for the daycare expenses?"  That usually got them to shush.

I get that people like all sorts of stones for their rings and that's fine, but I dislike the insinuation from some people like the woman who said DH owed me a nicer ring that the size of the diamond is in direct correlation to how much the man loves you.    ::)

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »
I get that people like all sorts of stones for their rings and that's fine, but I dislike the insinuation from some people like the woman who said DH owed me a nicer ring that the size of the diamond is in direct correlation to how much the man loves you.    ::)

So basically, since my wedding set was $49.99 on sale (clearance!  WOOT!!) at Target, is she saying that I'm CHEAP?  Snerk...  ;)

phoenix

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »
I have a similar-but-different problem with my ring.  I actually have a diamond, as I tend to change my mind on colors too often and wanted a simple solitaire that sparkled.

Oddly, I get harassed about it constantly.  I work in marketing, and one of our clients is a jewelry store who specialized in colored gemstones.  Colored engagement rings are really big right now, so they do a lot of that.  I cannot tell you how many times they (and my boss, a fan of theirs) make fun of my ring.  Diamonds are passe, they say.  It's such a generic ring, they say.  A ring from Zales has no special meaning, they say.  You need a ring unique as your love, they say.  On and on and on. 

I now alternate between staring at them until they stop talking and saying cheerily "this ring symbolizes a sentiment from my husband, why would I change it for you?"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2010, 05:23:07 PM »

So basically, since my wedding set was $49.99 on sale (clearance!  WOOT!!) at Target, is she saying that I'm CHEAP?  Snerk...  ;)

Heck my new Connemara claddagh was $43, a St. Patrick's Day special price on QVC so if you're cheap, so am I! :)

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2010, 05:43:50 PM »
I agree, it shouldn't matter to anyone but the ring wearer and the ring giver. 

My husband ended up getting a plain gold band after a few years. He held onto the claddagh but didn't wear it anymore because the point of the heart kept digging into his skin.  I didn't really mind, as he still wears a ring.   Someday I think it would be nice to get a band with the claddagh design engraved but it depends on how he feels.

I actually lost my claddagh ring - I kept on taking it off because the "crown" was getting stuck on things.  The BF replaced it with a ring that looks just like this  - http://www.claddaghring.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Wedding-Rings-LS-WED15&Click=1399  I love it & don't have to worry about getting stuck!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2010, 05:52:57 PM »
Oh that's pretty!!  I've been looking into getting something like that for DH.  When we first got married, we both had claddaghs but the point on the heart of his ring was a bit sharper than mine was, and it ended up forming a callous on his ring finger.   So he replaced it with a plain gold band and put the claddagh in my jewelry box. 

Well sometime last year, his claddagh went missing.   I have a feeling someone took it, though I don't know who exactly and can't really say for sure.  All I know is I didn't take it out and when we moved the dresser it was sitting on, the ring wasn't on the floor, either.   

I'd like for him to have a claddagh so I want to find something with the design engraved in a band so it won't catch or dig.