Author Topic: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!  (Read 62161 times)

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
Re: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »
That same site has a very similar (if not the same) ring for men. Heh, I'm actually a little miffed - the ones they are selling are cheaper than what we paid for mine!  (I guess that tells you all you need to know about how I feel about really oversized engagement rings ;))

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »

Shea

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2010, 04:41:22 PM »
My boss has the prettiest wedding ring I've ever seen. It's a white gold band with little chips of diamonds, sapphires and emeralds embedded irregularly all around the band. It looks a lot like this, but with smaller stones and a little wider:

So very, very pretty.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

kitty_ev

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
My boss has the prettiest wedding ring I've ever seen. It's a white gold band with little chips of diamonds, sapphires and emeralds embedded irregularly all around the band. It looks a lot like this, but with smaller stones and a little wider:

So very, very pretty.

My engagement ring's a little like that, but it has a central diamond and the flanking stones are aquamarine nearest the centre, then blue topaz then sapphire. I loved the design- it reminds me of the night sky.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2010, 03:49:36 PM »
Well I did get an update to my ring as an anniversary present! :D  Well I haven't gotten it yet, but DH ordered it for me on St. Patrick's Day (the day I wish we could have gotten married on -the 20th is our anniversary)

Not a diamond on it and still a claddagh! The stone in the heart is Connemara marble, mined in the region of Ireland by the same name.  The gemstone is a peridot.    I can't wait for it to get here! :D :D

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.aol_refer.false.tpl.detail.msn_refer.false.item.J147422.ref.GBA?cm_ven=GOOGLEBASE&cm_cat=Jewelry&cm_pla=Rings&cm_ite=J147422

Pretty!!!!
The status is not quo!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2010, 04:59:08 PM »
Well I did get an update to my ring as an anniversary present! :D  Well I haven't gotten it yet, but DH ordered it for me on St. Patrick's Day (the day I wish we could have gotten married on -the 20th is our anniversary)

Not a diamond on it and still a claddagh! The stone in the heart is Connemara marble, mined in the region of Ireland by the same name.  The gemstone is a peridot.    I can't wait for it to get here! :D :D

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.aol_refer.false.tpl.detail.msn_refer.false.item.J147422.ref.GBA?cm_ven=GOOGLEBASE&cm_cat=Jewelry&cm_pla=Rings&cm_ite=J147422

Pretty!!!!

Thanks!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
My engagement ring was my grandma's.  My dad, her only child, bought it for her after he graduated from college and started his career.  It was a "Thank You" for all her love and support (and for putting him through college). 

I've had a few people comment that Sweet Pattootie should have bought me a new ring.  I did that the first time I got married.  I wanted to do something different.  Plus, I've always loved this ring.  The small Tiffany set round center diamond is encircled by lots of little bitty diamonds.  It always reminded me of a ballerina wearing a tutu.  So it was dubbed "The Ballerina Ring".   ;D  I inherited it shortly after my ExH and I separated.  When and I started talking about marriage, I knew I wanted to wear this ring.

It was never important to me that SP buy a ring.  I'd rather he use the money for something else - like food, or a down payment on a car.  And I love that this ring was originally bought with love, even it was a son's love for his mother.  Anything from Granny's marriage to my granfather would have been completely wrong to use.  My Granny R and my grandfather had a horrid marriage.  I have her wedding ring from the 1st time she married him - with the message to "Never make the same mistake twice."   8)  Sissy got the wedding ring with diamond in it from the second time she married my bacon-fed-knave grandfather.  Her message was "If you make the same mistake twice, at least get a diamond out of it."  Granny R had a really wicked sense of humor.
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

phoenix

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2010, 10:29:34 AM »
I actually have a Cannemara marble claddagh myself, bought it when I was there.  Wanted to take a piece of Ireland home, ya know?  Plus I had to replace the Claddagh that my ex-boyfriend had bought me...my new boyfriend (now husband) never complained, but if felt like time.

NotCinderell

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2010, 08:09:21 AM »
I like diamonds. It's my birthstone. I love the color blue, though, so I'm a big fan of blue diamonds. I've seen the Hope Diamond, and I have to confess that I wished it was mine!  :P

I felt the same way looking at Kandinsky's "Riding Couple" in the Lenbachhaus.  I wished I could hang it over my bed.

Emmi

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
My high school ring is a beautiful pearl ring.  My parents told me that while they both got class rings they don't wear them anymore because it would be weird to wear it after being out of high school for so long.  So I though that instead of getting a traditional ring with the school's name on it and a stone to match the school colors I would buy a ring that I liked. 

People kept telling me I should just get the traditional ring, because no one will know it is a class ring. 

I like my ring, I know it is my class ring and while it doesn't look a class ring, the symbolism is still there.  My parents also loved the idea because my ring was cheaper and I will wear it for much longer.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
I was just thinking the other day that I regret buying my High School ring.  I only wore it for a couple of years.  ... If only it was socially acceptable to still wear my letter jacket.  I loved that thing. 

Odyssey

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2010, 01:22:36 AM »
My big sis had her class ring lost in the mail (the company did not resend, refund, or even apologize!), so we never bought mine or my little bro's. I do have a pendant from middle school, but it stays in the jewelery box.

I still don't understand the people who think you have to pay x amount for a ring. I've fallen in love with two wonderful sapphire rings that are both less than $900. I was raving about the more expensive of the two to my step-grandmother and she said I deserved better, I almost cried right there. It was at that point I decided not to tell her I would prefer the ring in steel like our promise rings. That little $8 piece of metal actually saved my intended from losing a finger once. I wish I had the courage to say something to her about it. Value should be determined more by the emotion behind it, if he wants to prove his monetary worth than he can start a college fund for the kids so they won't start out in debt like we will.

missmolly

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2010, 02:07:36 AM »
I was having a conversation about this kind of thing with one of my friends, when her mother, famed for her wicked sense of humour, told us about her own engagement ring story. Her first husband bought her a ring with a small ruby solitaire, (her birthstone), which suited her well. One day she started getting the "he should have got you a diamond" spiel from one of her coworkers. She replied that she could never have a diamond after what happened to her grandmother, and then on the spot made up a story about a cursed diamond ring. She claims the coworker believed her until she interjected pirates into the story.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2010, 08:52:09 AM »
I was having a conversation about this kind of thing with one of my friends, when her mother, famed for her wicked sense of humour, told us about her own engagement ring story. Her first husband bought her a ring with a small ruby solitaire, (her birthstone), which suited her well. One day she started getting the "he should have got you a diamond" spiel from one of her coworkers. She replied that she could never have a diamond after what happened to her grandmother, and then on the spot made up a story about a cursed diamond ring. She claims the coworker believed her until she interjected pirates into the story.

I love that!!   That's a great idea too!   Come to think of it there is the Hope Diamond, that is said to be cursed...
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2010, 04:08:18 AM »
We got it from the other side of the equation.  DH and I picked out our wedding rings together, and decided at the time that we liked the look of white gold.  When he showed them to his parents, his mother insisted that they were "too fancy" and we should just wear plain yellow gold bands.  The "fancy" set should live in the jewelry box and only be worn for formal occasions. ::)  Which would have been two or three times in the first 20 years we were married, counting the wedding itself.

The thing is, they're not fancy or gaudy.  You'd have thought my engagement ring had a 15-carat diamond surrounded by sapphires or something, instead of  a 26pt. diamond, just over a quarter-carat. There is a simple geometric  design engraved into them; my engagement ring only has half the pattern, as does the wedding ring.  The two put together duplicate  DH's ring, except  his does not have the diamond.

MIL got told "No.  We picked these out, and we're going to wear them."  And we have.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~