Author Topic: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!  (Read 64048 times)

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
Re: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2010, 02:46:14 AM »
I get that all the time. I have an amethyst e-ring and matching w-ring. I don't like diamonds, never have and amethysts have special meaning for me as they are my DH's birthstone, my father's birthstone and my grandfather's birthstone. All the important men in my life were born in February. But people constantly tell me I "need" a diamond, to which I always say "why?"

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2010, 08:04:04 AM »
I get that all the time. I have an amethyst e-ring and matching w-ring. I don't like diamonds, never have and amethysts have special meaning for me as they are my DH's birthstone, my father's birthstone and my grandfather's birthstone. All the important men in my life were born in February. But people constantly tell me I "need" a diamond, to which I always say "why?"

Yes, in the same way I "needed" to marry in a church (I told the girl we weren't Christians, she told me it didn't matter) and "needed" to wear a big white dress (because with my colouring, I'd look like a zombie - Corpse Bride, anyone?),

My boss has the prettiest wedding ring I've ever seen. It's a white gold band with little chips of diamonds, sapphires and emeralds embedded irregularly all around the band. It looks a lot like this, but with smaller stones and a little wider:

So very, very pretty.

That's stunningly beautiful!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »
It's kind of funny, my engagement ring is a lovely oval-cut aquamarine in a super-simple setting. It sparkles in the sun like a drop of water and everyone assumes that it's a blue diamond because of the finger it's on!   ;D

I don't correct them since I don't want to cause any embarrassment. >:D

If someone likes diamonds, that's just fine.
But I've never understood the NEED for a specific stone/metal in rings.

Amalthea

« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »

To be fair, some people do need specific metals due to allergy reasons.  I had to stop wearing my gold jewelry recently because my reaction to it got bad enough to really bother me, so I know I won't be able to wear a gold wedding or engagement ring.  Which is totally unfair because that white gold ring with all the little stones that was posted a while back is amazingly pretty. :P

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »

To be fair, some people do need specific metals due to allergy reasons.  I had to stop wearing my gold jewelry recently because my reaction to it got bad enough to really bother me, so I know I won't be able to wear a gold wedding or engagement ring.  Which is totally unfair because that white gold ring with all the little stones that was posted a while back is amazingly pretty. :P

Me too!  It's looking like platinum is the only type that will work for me atm, but I am still open to other rings.  The specific stone I don't need, but pretty and sparkly is always good, no matter what the colour!

And Mrelia, the description of your ring is gorgeous.  :)

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

JacklynHyde

« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »
May I also suggest titanium as a wedding band material?  It's solid as all heck, hypoallergenic and can be made into lovely designs.  Mine has two interwoven strands that form a band of infinity signs.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2010, 03:34:31 AM »

Also, you can have old rings electroplated with Rhodium (it is a metal in the platinum family).  I did that to a few rings and other jewelry that were gold because I break out from it.  I do have to have it done every few years for pieces I wear a lot.  http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/rhodiumplating_skvm.htm
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2010, 09:24:03 AM »

Also, you can have old rings electroplated with Rhodium (it is a metal in the platinum family).  I did that to a few rings and other jewelry that were gold because I break out from it.  I do have to have it done every few years for pieces I wear a lot.  http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/rhodiumplating_skvm.htm

My wedding set from my ExH was white gold with rhodium plating.  The plating keeps is very shiny and more scratch resistant too.  I wore the engagement ring from the set for about 3 years before I had them replated.
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2010, 10:58:36 AM »
Me too!  It's looking like platinum is the only type that will work for me atm, but I am still open to other rings.  The specific stone I don't need, but pretty and sparkly is always good, no matter what the colour!

Titanium should work for you as well.  It's pretty bio-compatible, though not as readily available as platinum.

I was so sad to find out that tungsten-carbide usually contains nickel.  I love the look of those rings, but they would likely make me itchy. 

Kaymyth

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2010, 12:18:07 AM »

Titanium should work for you as well.  It's pretty bio-compatible, though not as readily available as platinum.

I was so sad to find out that tungsten-carbide usually contains nickel.  I love the look of those rings, but they would likely make me itchy. 

A less expensive alternative to platinum is palladium.  Not all jewelers are set up to work with it, though, as it has a reeeeeally high melting point.  It's only been in the last few years that the techniques for casting it have been developed, but if you can find a jeweler who carries it, it's got all the qualities of platinum (including being hypoallergenic) at a fraction of the price.

My own ring is a white gold/palladium alloy.  It's one of the few golds you can get with no nickel at all, you just have to ask for it.  I love my ring; it's a dusky silvery color that doesn't need rhodium plating to hold its color.

Delta

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2010, 02:29:53 AM »
I love the rings that have been pictured here!! My BF and I have discussed the kind of rings we want to get when we eventually marry (no rush, going to wait until I finish college) and both of us like simple understated rings, without any stones that "stick out", and have decided we'll get these with a blue sapphire instead of a diamond. I absolutely love them.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2010, 11:48:38 PM »
I'm going to say up front that I had no say in my e-ring. DH bought it as a surprise from a cousin of his who, as he put it: "has a bad habit of buying jewelry a little too early." That said, I love my little diamond ring. It looks a lot like my Mom's, and it's from DH, so I love it.

Anyone who gave me grief for wearing it, for whatever reason, is not going to be taken seriously. Who cares if somebody thinks I need a 2c compass setting in platinum, or a sunstone ringed with angel tears set in mithril?

Unless he or she's buying, in which case, my right ring finger's a 7 and a half. :D
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Snooks

« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »
I had it in a shop when we were looking for rings.  My engagement ring is set low so getting a flat band seemed my only option.  One ring shop recommended a horseshoe ring (with a bit cut out - think that's the name for it!), I told the guy I didn't like those as I thought it would remove the option of wearing just my wedding band his reply was "Well everyone else likes them", needless to say we didn't buy the bands from that shop!

Delta

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »
I love the rings that have been pictured here!! My BF and I have discussed the kind of rings we want to get when we eventually marry (no rush, going to wait until I finish college) and both of us like simple understated rings, without any stones that "stick out", and have decided we'll get these with a blue sapphire instead of a diamond. I absolutely love them.

I haven't visited in a couple months, and just had to share - while I had *assumed* that I wasn't going to get an engagement ring (I had told him it wasn't important) HE had other plans...

He proposed 10/10/10. Here's the ring. I was (and still am!) blown away. Until I had it on my finger, I never dreamed that I'd ever WANT an engagement ring!!!

Jan74

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2010, 12:43:45 PM »
That is a gorgeous ring.