Author Topic: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!  (Read 67207 times)

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
Re: I like my wedding ring just fine, thanks!
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »
Stunning!  I'm glad you love it!
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

nonesuch4

« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »
That is one gorgeous ring!!! If I didn't work with my hands, and didn't have short stubby fingers, and I liked to wear rings, that's one I'd like to have!

One year a friend noticed the lack of jewelry in my wardrobe, and smiled slyly at me when she said she and her husband tried to convince DH to "get something for my jewelry box."  I'm glad he knew me better, because it would have stayed in the box forever.  A cordless drill would be the way to my heart.

I find gemstones,  precious and semi-precious, beautiful and absolutely fascinating - on someone else.

channa17

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2011, 07:58:32 AM »
I didn't get any flak, surprisingly, for our choice of engagement ring (I picked it out and now-husband agreed it was perfect for me...and affordable despite being 24K gold). Maybe that's because we live in Asia, where the "YOU MUST HAVE A DIAMOND ZOMGGG" isn't quite so strangulating. By the time we visited home, everyone who I'd show it to knew that it wasn't a diamond.

Oh, yeah, and it was super cool with a dragon. A DRAGON. C'mon, a dragon beats a diamond anyday, and few others can say that their engagement ring has an awesomepants dragon on it.

AWESOME DRAGON RING by jenna masala, on Flickr

Our wedding rings are also Asian 24K gold, but we plan to eventually by long-term wear tungsten rings.

photo by Keira Lemonis by jenna masala, on Flickr

LilyRose

• City Girl In Cowboy Boots
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »
I didn't get any flak, surprisingly, for our choice of engagement ring (I picked it out and now-husband agreed it was perfect for me...and affordable despite being 24K gold). Maybe that's because we live in Asia, where the "YOU MUST HAVE A DIAMOND ZOMGGG" isn't quite so strangulating. By the time we visited home, everyone who I'd show it to knew that it wasn't a diamond.

Oh, yeah, and it was super cool with a dragon. A DRAGON. C'mon, a dragon beats a diamond anyday, and few others can say that their engagement ring has an awesomepants dragon on it.

AWESOME DRAGON RING by jenna masala, on Flickr

Our wedding rings are also Asian 24K gold, but we plan to eventually by long-term wear tungsten rings.

photo by Keira Lemonis by jenna masala, on Flickr

I just want to say that I think the dragon engagement ring is BEYOND AWESOME.

BB-VA

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2011, 03:07:06 PM »
My MIL didn't get an engagement ring - she got an engagement watch.  Watches were OK jewelry in their church community, plus she married just after WWII, so money was still pretty tight for non-useful stuff.

I don't have an engagement ring, and never wanted one.  My wedding band is plain yellow gold with a beaded edge, and cost $22.00 in 1973.  My husband doesn't have a ring - he says jewelry is a waste of good engineering material.

That said, I do like nice jewelry but I'd rather look at it than wear it.  I do love looking at shiny rocks!!!
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
I have a tungsten ring, which I love - it's actually a man's ring, all the women's rings looked so odd on my sausages. It doesn't fit right now since I'm still shedding baby weight (that's the one downside - they cannot be sized) so I've been ringless for quite a while. I'm kind of getting to like it. It's comfortable and that's one less thing to lose.

Setsu

« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2011, 08:15:39 PM »
My wedding ring looks like this
It's titanium with woven carbon fiber. I love it. My engagement ring was silver and abalone shell, but I dropped it and it broke. Constantly I was told I needed a "real" engagement ring, which was usually responded to with either why would you think that, or a silent stare

Nora

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2011, 12:17:32 PM »
Dragons do beat diamonds any day.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

jackmanifesto

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
:) I wasn't able to read through the entire thread, so I'm not sure if it was mentioned...but a Jewish tradition (Still practiced mainly by the very conservative and orthodox subsets) is to not have a ring at all before the couple is actually married, and an engagement jewelry piece is chosen instead! This can be anything, really, as it is simply a token to represent the impending marriage! Most couples choose to have a necklace or bracelet, and these pieces can cost as much or more than a ring! (Just to add to the background; After the wedding, most couples DO get a sparkly/meaningful ring to go with their plain wedding bands if the bride wants one. For some couples, the engagement token is something relatively cheap and most of the money goes towards a ring, but for others a ring is never bought and the token is worn very prominently every day!)

I'm much more religious/traditional than my family members are, and most of my friends etc. follow this tradition as I also intend to do- without fail, every time I've told my mother or nonJewish/nonobservant friends that XYZfriend got such a beautiful necklace/watch/bracelet/whatever for their engagement I always get a very snarky response! It doesn't matter that the couple is very happy with their choice, or that it is their tradition, or that the token can be more expensive/impressive than the ring they THINK the couple should have...the point is that it isn't a diamond ring on her finger, and for some reason that means that the couple isn't actually engaged or the groom to be is a cheapo! But of course, after the wedding when the ring is on the new bride's finger, clearly the groom had some sort of light bulb go off that he shouldn't be an awful person. (Of course, this after the tradition is explained for the 3294328459348323011 time. :-\ )

Somehow, I imagine I'll be having a very tough time with my family when the time comes for ME to be engaged!  :P

glacio

« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2011, 06:09:55 AM »
I will probably end up with a very traditional looking ring because of my school ring. It is very traditional looking (and is worn by everyone who graduates from my university; I will never go to a business meeting without it) and so any of the more unusual rings just do not look right with it. That said it will not be a real diamond gosh darn it. I refuse to add to the De Beers conspiracy! I have actually written economic papers on the diamond industry, and I am far too analytical to not think about that every time I see a diamond. And I'd be scared stiff carrying around that much wealth.

I am surprised, however by some of my friends. Some of these guys are buying 8,000 to 15,000 dollar rings, while they're still in school! I choked on my drink when my friend told me. My etiquette training did not kick in fast enough for me to not show my shock, I'm afraid.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »
I will probably end up with a very traditional looking ring because of my school ring. It is very traditional looking (and is worn by everyone who graduates from my university; I will never go to a business meeting without it) and so any of the more unusual rings just do not look right with it. That said it will not be a real diamond gosh darn it. I refuse to add to the De Beers conspiracy! I have actually written economic papers on the diamond industry, and I am far too analytical to not think about that every time I see a diamond. And I'd be scared stiff carrying around that much wealth.

I am surprised, however by some of my friends. Some of these guys are buying 8,000 to 15,000 dollar rings, while they're still in school! I choked on my drink when my friend told me. My etiquette training did not kick in fast enough for me to not show my shock, I'm afraid.

The only way that my sister will ever wear a diamond is if it is an heirloom.  She also has written economic papers :) and thus regaled me with her stories of why only an heirloom do.

I told Dark Boyfriend to get me a colored gem (I hinted at emerald by conspicuously and exaggeratedly winking while I reminded him my favorite color is green), and if no gem, the metal better be a silver color.  Other than that, I don't care; I don't wear yellow gold at all and diamonds just aren't my thing.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »
I love emeralds, but I wouldn't want one for an engagement ring because they are so soft and I'm hard on my hands (in other words, clumsy). I've cracked an emerald before.  :(
The status is not quo!

Kittymama

« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »
I have a Canadian diamond. Have I been contributing to the De Beers conspiracy without knowing it? I thought my diamonds were "clean," so to speak.

Tigger

• Always having fun
  • Life is hard. After all, it kills you - K Hepburn
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »
I too have a Canadian diamond and I was under the impression they're conflict free.  Please correct me if I am wrong  :(

Ontario

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »
The DeBeers conspiracy is a reference to the fact that they were the company that started the whole "2 months' salary" thing. They also helped jack up the price of diamonds overall. It's a completely separate issue from conflict diamonds.
The status is not quo!