Author Topic: How to keep ice cream cold on a buffet  (Read 12430 times)

JeanFromBNA

How to keep ice cream cold on a buffet
« on: February 28, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »
I would like to serve ice cream with our dessert buffet, but I'm not sure how to keep it cold.  Any suggestions for an attractive presentation?

Lashley

Re: How to keep ice cream cold on a buffet
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »
How long would it be out on the table? I've seen people put it in a stainless steel container that was kept in the freezer until it was ready to be served, and then nestled in a larger container full of crushed ice. It kept for about an hour before it was too soft to eat. I'm not sure what to do if you need it to be out longer though.

ETA: Dry ice may work even better, but I've never seen that done. Not sure if you've used it before of course so at the risk of sounding obvious, use gloves if you go that route because it can burn skin quickly.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:14:56 PM by Lashley »

Ms Aspasia

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:38:51 PM »
An ice bowl made by setting a bowl within a bowl of water, in the freezer?  With or without petals or food dye in the frozen water?

ncgal

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »
Not sure how well this would work for you, but I was at a party once where they kept the icecream (in the original containers like you see at the ice cream shops) inside the orange type igloos.  Would that work?  maybe you could decorate the container?

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:18:40 AM »
How about you take a pretty punch bowl and fill it with ice.  Then take a metal bowl you've had in the freezer and fill that with the ice cream and place the metal bowl inside the ice filled punch bowl.  You could also put in some pretty flowers within the ice filled punch bowl or some sliced orange rings.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »
I have a double walled stainless steel ice bucket.  I've kept gelato frozen for about 2 hours in it.  I put the bucket in the freezer for about 4 hours, then put a zip lock of ice cubes in the bottom before filling with the gelato.  After adding the gelato, I refroze in the freezer for 4 more hours.  It actually took about 20 minutes before it was soft enough to easily scoop out. 

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
Please see answers in blue below. 

A few questions...

1. How much ice cream? A gallon - plus a gallon in reserve.
2. What quality ice cream are you using? Blue Bell Ice Cream.  I don't know about the quality, but it sure is yummy!
3. What size are the containers? I'm flexible.
4. What is the setting you are it?  On a table at a buffet, with other desserts.
5. Will there be buffet servers who can deal with this stuff? No.
6. What is the atmosphere you're going to be in (formal, fun)? Informal.  About 50 - 75 people.
7. Will you be inside or out?  Inside.
8. What is the weather going to be like?  Dark.

CluelessBride

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
Not exactly a cheap option, but if this is going to be a regular-ish event:

http://www.carlislefsp.com/files/AUG08%20Coldmaster%20IceCream%20FS.pdf

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:45:12 PM »
CluelessBride, that might be an option.  We often host parties, and everybody loves ice cream.

I thank each of you for your suggestions; I'll let you know if I find anything that works.

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 09:53:20 PM »
this is less than classy or pretty. . . . but you could likely find a dorm fridge on Craigslist or the like pretty cheap. . . no not a freezer but still cold and insulated and not that hard to move

Heck if you really want to not worry http://www.lowes.com/pl_White_4294857904+4294837447_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_price|1&rpp=15 is only $170.00.  Plus  it us useful, could be sold to recoup losses if you don't want it, or be found used for less.

$170.00 is not cheap. . .. but it would be a no muss no fuss will work no thought option. 

BeagleMommy

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »
We've done this because DS loves to make ice cream when we have parties.  We put the ice cream in Tupperware containers, place a large stainless steel bowl over ice, fill the bowl with ice and sink the containers into the ice as close to the rims as possible.  It usually holds up pretty well.