Author Topic: Baaaaarbaraaaa? (aka weird phone calls)  (Read 20285 times)

Shea

Baaaaarbaraaaa? (aka weird phone calls)
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:15:50 PM »
Today at about 2:00 my cell phone rang. I answered it.

Me: Hello?

Caller (sounding drunk): Baaaaaarbaraaa?

Me: Er, sorry, no one by that name here.

Caller (protracted pause): Baaaaarbaraaaa?

Me: I think you've go the wrong number, there's no Barbara here.

Caller (another pause): Buuuuuutttttttt...Baaaarbaaraaaaa?

Me: Sorry, wrong number! ::hang up:: ::start laughing hysterically::

Anyone else had a weird phone call incident recently?

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
Re: Baaaaarbaraaaa? (aka weird phone calls)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:30:03 AM »
I have a cell phone number that is one digit off from the news tipline for a local news station. Let's say my number is 551-1234. Their phone number is 557-1234.

I get calls every now and then for the news station. I once got a call at 3:00 AM. I was very displeased over that. I also once got a call at 5:00 AM on a saturday.

I'd change my number, but the calls aren't frequent enough to be a true annoyance, and I've had this number for something like 8 years, now.

I also once had a voicemail left by someone's boss, telling them to turn around come back because there was another package that had to go on the truck, and the delivery had to be made THAT DAY, and it was urgent. They left the voicemail in the morning, and I didn't check my phone until much later in the evening. You'd think the fact that my voicemail message states my full name would have clued the guy in that he had the wrong number.

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:41:45 AM »
I got a very strange call at work the other day.

Shatzie: Company Name, Shatzie speaking, how may I help you?
Male Caller: [silence]
Shatzie: Hello, Company Name, how may I help you?
Male Caller: Hello?
Shatzie: This is Company Name, how may I help you?
Male Caller: [shouting in a very angry voice] WHERE MY MONEY AT?!!?!?!
Shatzie: I'm sorry, sir, this is Company Name. Is there something I can help you with?
Male Caller: WHERE GINA AT?
Shatzie: I'm sorry, sir, this is Company Name, there is no Gina here.
Male Caller: [in a perfectly cheerful and polite tone] Sorry, wrong number!

It was really bizarre. After the WHERE MY MONEY AT?!?! I was 99% sure it was a customer and good friend of mine prank-calling me, so I almost said something really inappropriate in reply...very glad I didn't!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »
We had our cell number for about three years and thought we had finally finished with calls for the previous owner, Tony. Everyone who uses this number knows I don't text (old keypad and slow brain and perfectly good voice mail).

We got a text about going to a cookout at Angela's backyard at a certain time, address about 2 blocks from our house. We didn't respond as it wasn't important and I figured if they hadn't contacted Tony in 3 years I was done bothering with it. About a half hour after the party began, we heard another beep, I checked and there was another text for Tony, "Buddy, where are you?"

Years ago, before caller i d, or even *69 and 911, we received a call that sounded like children clearly in trouble. We couldn't do anything in a city of 100,000 people except try to calm the kids down and tell them to try their number again. Even calling the police would have done nothing. We never read anything in the police blotter that could have been it, so to this day I worry about whatever that was for.

I must add that last summer for about 3 weeks (before we got our caller i d), at 10:30 every weekday morning we would get a Latino woman calling. We live in a very small town with almost no Mexican population and our Spanish could be written on my fingernail. We just kept telling her she had the wrong number but didn't persue it (I wanted to, my husband didn't). I really felt sorry for her.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:06:13 AM by Lucinda7 »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:21:59 AM »
The only cell phone I carry is my work issued one.  It is text enabled but I never use it; in fact, I hardly use it even for phone calls.

A while back, I felt my phone buzz in the evening.  Since my boss would call me on my home line if it was important, I didn't immediately get up and look at it.  It buzzed again.

So I checked it.  The first text read, 'Dude, I think my knee is (expletive)ed.'

The second text read, 'Sorry.  Wrong number.  My bad.'

I LOL'd.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:23:05 AM »
I get the SAME woman calling EVERY Sunday.  After a few weeks of missing the call & it going to voicemail I answered & told her she had the wrong number.  She told me that the person she was calling must've gotten a new number and hung up.  She didn't give me a chance to tell her that I've had this number for 5 years!!  She keeps calling.  I've told her and texted her that she.has.the.wrong.number.  I normally don't pay attention to the phone on weekends so her calls usually go unanswered and straight to vociemail.  I know her name, the support group she's calling about and I even know her home address as that's where they hold the meetings and she frequently leaves that in her messages.  On Sunday I admit to having lost it a bit...  

Her:  Hi, this is Her from SupportGroup...
Me:  I've told you before that this is the wrong number but you still call me every week.  I've had this number for 5 years.  It is not PersonYoureLookingFor's number.  

Seriously, every week?????  Did you not understand the first 5 times I told you it was the wrong number that you need to get her correct number?  ACK!   ;D

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:24:42 AM by Bibliophile »

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »
I had a guy who kept leaving messages on my answering machine for 'Nicky' (not my name) but he never left a phone number.  And he never called when I was at home.

So finally, I changed my outgoing answering machine message and added 'If this is Bob calling for Nicky, you have a wrong number.' and left it for a month or so.  Never got another message for Nicky and amused all my friends no end.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:25:50 AM »
My last phone number had something special about it. I got the strangest calls.

The urgent guy with the wrong phone number. One day I got home from work and my answering machine is blinking non-stop. There was a series of about 10 calls, all from the same man. First, he was in Big City and driving up to the "office," and would Sam be there at a specific time? Please call him back. Then there were 9 more calls, each one a bit more frantic than the first, as the caller drove north and tried to get in touch with Sam. There was something urgent the two of them needed to do together, that was clear, but what it was and where the caller thought he was calling were complete mysteries.

The mysterious triple caller. One night about 7 the phone rang. I answered, and there was no sound on the other end. I hung up. The phone rang again. Again, no sound. The phone rang a third time, no response again. Fifteen minutes later, the same thing. All evening long, every 15 minutes, a series of three phone calls. Once I heard a man's voice speaking in a language I could not identify, but that was it. I ending up calling the phone company about it, but they said they couldn't do anything. I finally had to turn the ringers off on all my phones. Checking my answering machine the next morning showed that the calls continued until 3 am.

The chair rental calls. My phone number must have been really close to the number of a place that rented chairs and slipcovers for weddings and the like. About four times a year, I'd have a message with very detailed instructions about reserving a certain number of chairs for a certain date and what slipcovers and chair bows would be needed. No one ever left their full name or their phone number, so I was not able to contact them and tell them that their chairs were not reserved.

Barbara Ann. Barbara Ann must have moved and gotten a new phone number that was very close to mine. Her friends and family called and left numerous messages for a month. They never left their phone numbers and they never called when I was home. Finally, one of them called on a weekend. I remember scrambling out of the shower dripping wet and running to catch the phone so that I could finally let someone know that Barbara Ann was not at this number. The calls started to die down, but it was another month before they stopped completely.

The credit card company calls. Again, this must have been a similar phone number. Every other month or so, I'd start to get calls for Brian. Brian clearly hadn't paid his credit card bill (or so I inferred; the callers never really said why they were calling, but the fact that they called several times a day sort of gave it away). I was accused of being Brian's girlfriend, of lying about his whereabouts, of lying that I didn't know him. I snapped one day and demanded to speak to a supervisor. I tried to convince her that Brian Did Not Live Here. She kept saying that this was his phone number. In a stroke of enlightenment that must have come down from on high, I asked her what state he lived in. She couldn't tell me that. I told her my state and asked her to check the area code for Brian against the state listed as his address (there was a 6 and a 0 in my area code--it's very easy, if these numbers are handwritten, to mistake one for the other). There was a very long silence, and then a very hushed voice saying, "I think you will not be bothered by these calls again, ma'am."

The random female name calls. About once a month, I'd get a message for a woman. The name always changed, Angela, Gloria, Marie. The male callers' voices changed. They sounded like husbands or boyfriends. I never did figure out what place in town had a similar phone number that would have had a rotating staff of women working there.

Trust me, my answering machine message should have made it clear who lived at that address and that it was not a business. "Hi, you've reached the Lancer family. To leave a message for Cammy, Charles or Chester, wait for the beep."

My new phone number is so boring. I've lived here two years and only had one wrong number.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 05:11:53 PM »
I got a very strange call at work the other day.

Shatzie: Company Name, Shatzie speaking, how may I help you?
Male Caller: [silence]
Shatzie: Hello, Company Name, how may I help you?
Male Caller: Hello?
Shatzie: This is Company Name, how may I help you?
Male Caller: [shouting in a very angry voice] WHERE MY MONEY AT?!!?!?!
Shatzie: I'm sorry, sir, this is Company Name. Is there something I can help you with?
Male Caller: WHERE GINA AT?
Shatzie: I'm sorry, sir, this is Company Name, there is no Gina here.
Male Caller: [in a perfectly cheerful and polite tone] Sorry, wrong number!

It was really bizarre. After the WHERE MY MONEY AT?!?! I was 99% sure it was a customer and good friend of mine prank-calling me, so I almost said something really inappropriate in reply...very glad I didn't!

Ha!  I had a very similar thing happen to me once at home. 

phone rings
Me: Hello?
caller: WHERE'S SALLY!
Me: I'm sorry, you've got the wrong number.
caller: Don't lie to me (expletive)!  I know she's (F-bomb) there! Put her the (F-bomb) on the (F-bomb) phone!
me:(much firmer) I'm sorry, you have the wrong number.

I started to hang up the phone and as I was replacing it, I heard the caller say, "Oh, I'm so sorry.  Diety bless you!"

I've also been called collect from jail.  And not by anyone I knew.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 05:17:26 PM »
I had a guy who kept leaving messages on my answering machine for 'Nicky' (not my name) but he never left a phone number.  And he never called when I was at home.

So finally, I changed my outgoing answering machine message and added 'If this is Bob calling for Nicky, you have a wrong number.' and left it for a month or so.  Never got another message for Nicky and amused all my friends no end.

I had to do the same thing when I got someone's old number. I'd get calls from people wanting to set up some kind of lecture with Nancy (not my name).

Then I had to change it again when this little old lady kept trying to reach her doctor. <sigh>
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 05:27:22 PM »

My parents' line was good for crazy calls.

For a while someone was calling and pushing buttons. I started pushing the same ones back at them and for a few months every once in a while they'd call and we'd have a nice game of Simon. No idea who it was.

Someone kept calling collect from jail, and they had the same name as my brother, so that got accepted a few times. They called a lot. My parents finally put a block on collect calls on their line because of him.

Similar to Lucinda7 ... when i was pretty young i got a call from someone saying, "Honey, it's Grandpop. I need you to tell your Daddy to come over here right away. Grandpa fell and needs help." That one still haunts me. He had that extra super fake calm tone of voice you use when you're trying to not upset a kid. I hope he was ok. He sounded like a nice man.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

magicdomino

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »

I had similar calls from a young man from out of state.  The first time, he admited that he wasn't sure of the area code, hoped this was correct, but didn't leave his number (not that I particularly wanted to call long distance anyway).   He'd call about once a month, telling the young lady which clubs he would be at that night.  Finally, after a sad message wondering if "Caroline" was mad at him because she never called or showed up, I changed my message.  That worked!

Stranger

• diligo ergo sum
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 05:40:05 PM »
Great topic!

I have story to contribute, but it's about voicemail setups resulting in hilarious phone conversations with the mailbox.

I once had a client who had some hearing impairment, but he could use mobile phones. We had weekly telephone conversations, and he sometimes asked me to speak up so he could hear me. And by speak up I mean yell  :) His voicemail setup used to be :"Hi, this is Charles. I am not available at the moment, please send a text message and I will return your call as soon as possible."

He thought it was VERY funny to change it to :" Hi, Charles speaking! *pause for 5 seconds* Hello! *pause for 5 seconds* Hello! HELLO!!?? * pause for 5 seconds* Hahahahahahahahahaha! I am not available, please send a text and I will call you back."

I fell for that message twice  :)

HorseFreak

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 05:53:45 PM »
I got a voicemail on my cell phone once that totally creeped me out.
Man (imagine a serial killer trying to lull you into a false sense of security): Hey baby, you need to come back to me. I only did those things because you made me. Come back and I'll make it all better. You had better come back tonight if you know what's good for you. I'm sorry, baby. (and so on)

It scared the poop out of me. Unfortunately, the police can't act on what only sounds like, "Baby, if you come back I'm going to beat the crap out of you and finish the job." I hope "Baby" is OK, wherever she is.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 05:57:40 PM »

He thought it was VERY funny to change it to :" Hi, Charles speaking! *pause for 5 seconds* Hello! *pause for 5 seconds* Hello! HELLO!!?? * pause for 5 seconds* Hahahahahahahahahaha! I am not available, please send a text and I will call you back."

Hee hee ... i used to have an outgoing message like that.  ;D

When we still had a house line it had voice mailboxes. #1 was for Gish, #2 was for me, and #3 was for "if you just want to babble into the machine for a bit." Surprisingly, our landlord loved option 3.  :)

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem