Author Topic: Baaaaarbaraaaa? (aka weird phone calls)  (Read 19737 times)

deadbody

Re: Baaaaarbaraaaa? (aka weird phone calls)
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »
LOL!  Apparently attending church hadn't done him much good yet at that point!   ;D

The girls that still attend the church still have the morals and such.  he wanted the quitters who were more likely to have loose morals and be much more up for a game of scrabble I think. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »
I hate when I get a call for a man from a female and it's a wrong number.  I always wonder if they think they got the right number and 'another' woman answered the phone.
One day at work I got a call very early in the morning and it was a man groaning n a vulgar way.  It always bugged me becase it sounded like the voice of someone I knew, but there was nothing I could do about it.  It was disgusting and creepy.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »
We once had a very cheerful and unflappable receptionist. She answered phones with a standard greeting.

Receptionist: Acme Widgets, Marilyn speaking. How may I help you?
Male Caller: So, Marilyn, do you want to [play scrabble]?
R: No thank you. But it was very kind of you to inquire.
MC: *click*

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

JoW

« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:54 PM »
There have been so many.

At one point the county I was one of 6 unrelated people in my county with my last name and some variation of my first name.  One of the others worked at the same place I did and was behind on a credit card at the same bank that held my mortgage.  I got calls for him so often I kept his boss’s phone number taped to my phone. 

A series of calls, the first was a legitimate wrong number.  The caller asked my name and I gave my standard answer “I’m sorry, I don’t give out that information over the phone”.  He called 3 more times that night and intermittently for the next couple of years, demanding that I tell him my name.

A 10-year old boy learned a new insult and told my answering machine “You’re a ***** man.  I hate your guts”.  He called every 10 to 15 minutes from about 2:30pm until 5:30pm, repeating that same insult.  I’m guessing he got home from school at 2:30, his mom got home from work at 5:30. 

A woman, I don’t remember what she said but I hope she was calling from home where she could pass out safely. 

I got a series of hang-up calls.  It turned out someone had hacked my cordless phone.  One of the last calls they made from my number was to 911, and they hung up.  Which is why the police came to my house at 11pm.   After I disconnected that phone I started getting faxes to my voice phone at all hours of the day and night.  I suspect, but can’t prove, that the hackers gave the faxer my phone number. 

I got many calls to my cell phone, up to 6/day, looking for Michael.  I googled the number, discovered it was the automobile loan department at a bank.  Apparently Michael lied on a car loan application, gave them my phone number instead of his, then stopped making payments.  My cell provider suggested I put the number in my contacts list and assign it the ring tone “no ring”.  I did that for 2 weeks, then took one call telling the caller “you have GOT to stop calling me” and explaining the situation.  I got one more call for Michael the Deadbeat, this one from a 3rd party bad debt collection firm. 

Pinky830

« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »
I got a bunch of wrong-number texts in Spanish. I looked up how to say "wrong number, please stop calling" on Google Translator and that seems to have done it.

booklover03

« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2011, 12:55:54 AM »
I remember a phone call I got a few years ago that really sticks out. Dh was deployed and would use phone cards to call home. Whenever he'd use a phone card the caller ID would show the number and from what state the area code was in. A lot of times I'd get calls from NJ or FL and it was dh.

One night I'd gone to bed super early because I'd had a horrible migraine, so I was trying to get some rest. I'd just about drifted off when my cell rang. I didn't recognize the number and it was a MI number and we were in KY. I got excited and grabbed the phone and answered with a really excited hello. This is the conversation that followed:

Me: Hello?
Lady: Hey! How're you doing? I haven't talked to you in awhile.
Me: I'm doing ok, how are you?
Lady: Pretty good. Were you in bed? It's really early.
Me: Yeah, I had a horrible headache today and am not feeling well.
Lady: Well, you sound like ****.
Me: Well, I kind of feel like it.
Lady: I'm playing this game online right now about bowling with penguins. I'd like to get the full version, but I don't know where to get it.
Me: Well, you could try Amazon. They have pretty much everything.
Lady: That's a good idea, I'll try that. Thanks!
Me: Well, I'm gonna let you go and try to get more sleep.
Lady: Ok, it was good to talk to you. I'll call again soon! Bye!
Me: Bye.

I had a conversation with someone I'd never met before. I really had NO idea who I was talking to, but she was talking to fast for me to tell her she had the wrong number. My sister says when I'm talking to someone who I don't know, but they seem to know me, my voice changes. Not a lot, but I'm more formal and extremely polite. It's very odd. I honestly thought I'd dreamed it until I checked my phone and there was the number. My sister and husband thought this was hilarious. I guess the lady figured out she had the wrong number because she never called back, lol.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
I knew someone who met her husband by a wrong number. He called, they ended up talking a long time, met, got married, then divorced within a few months. Guess it really was a 'wrong number'. (She was a divorcee in her 30's, I don't know about him.)