Author Topic: Baaaaarbaraaaa? (aka weird phone calls)  (Read 19725 times)

Punky B.

• I prefer not to.
Re: Baaaaarbaraaaa? (aka weird phone calls)
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »
Upon seeing the title of this thread, all I could think of was, "They're coming to get you, Baaaarbara!"

Hah! ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
A woman who may or may not have had my number before we got it gets debt collector calls all the time.  We have had the number now five years and they are still calling even though I tell them she is not at this number and have them remove it from their list.  Kicker is, I wonder if she is still giving our number out.

We got a phone call from the children's hospital recently leaving a long and detailed message about her son.  He apparently is at the hospital undergoing a procedure.  They wanted her to call immediately back to make some decisions.  So, seeing how this sounded important I called them up and explained that they have the wrong number.  They asked me if I was sure because she had just given them my number when her son was admitted. 

I'm wondering if she is seriously dyslexic/dysgraphic and thinks that she IS giving out the correct number (at least to the hospital).  Or if she is so used to giving the number that she is accidentally giving the "wrong" number when she should be giving out a number that works to reach her (because she has given out the *other* number so many times that it rolls off her tongue first).

We had YEARS of a wrong number (including the wife's brother - she had the same not-too-common in the USA first name) because it was in the phone book under their name as their kids' number/second phone number.

I have no idea how OUR unlisted number got in the phone book under their name - but after three years I was going bananas, calling the phone company AND their other number to try to get the next phone book corrected..........because I didn't want three years of getting their calls to turn into four or five or six years of getting their calls.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 01:17:35 AM »
A woman who may or may not have had my number before we got it gets debt collector calls all the time.  We have had the number now five years and they are still calling even though I tell them she is not at this number and have them remove it from their list.  Kicker is, I wonder if she is still giving our number out.

We got a phone call from the children's hospital recently leaving a long and detailed message about her son.  He apparently is at the hospital undergoing a procedure.  They wanted her to call immediately back to make some decisions.  So, seeing how this sounded important I called them up and explained that they have the wrong number.  They asked me if I was sure because she had just given them my number when her son was admitted.  

I'm wondering if she is seriously dyslexic/dysgraphic and thinks that she IS giving out the correct number (at least to the hospital).  Or if she is so used to giving the number that she is accidentally giving the "wrong" number when she should be giving out a number that works to reach her (because she has given out the *other* number so many times that it rolls off her tongue first).

We had YEARS of a wrong number (including the wife's brother - she had the same not-too-common in the USA first name) because it was in the phone book under their name as their kids' number/second phone number.

I have no idea how OUR unlisted number got in the phone book under their name - but after three years I was going bananas, calling the phone company AND their other number to try to get the next phone book corrected..........because I didn't want three years of getting their calls to turn into four or five or six years of getting their calls.

With phone numbers connected to land lines connected to addresses connected to people connected to credit agencies, information gets recycled for years. My parents got mail for tickets that hadn't been paid for license plates (of mine) on cars that i never owned for years after i had lived at their address, and years after the plates had been turned in.

It's all recycled information.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:20:19 AM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 08:31:49 PM »
I live in an area with a heavy prison population and I have gotten a lot of collect calls from inmates. I'll answer the phone and hear "You have a phone call from *Boochie, Raydog, Bubba, unintelligible*, an inmate at *insert prison name*. Will you accept the charges?" I always say no and hang up.

Boochie called six times in a row one day...I was just before calling the prison to send some kind soul down to teach Boochie his numbers when he gave up.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

claddagh lass

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »
My Dad kept getting these weird texts from a woman in our area code.  They were really flirty and Dad kept deleting and ignoring them.

Finally he got fed up and complained to the phone company to get her number blocked from his phone.

We still never have found out just who it was sending the texts.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 02:46:56 PM »
My Dad kept getting these weird texts from a woman in our area code.  They were really flirty and Dad kept deleting and ignoring them.

Finally he got fed up and complained to the phone company to get her number blocked from his phone.

We still never have found out just who it was sending the texts.
Now see, my dad would have responded in kind!!!

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 07:23:34 AM »
This isn't all that weird, but over the last two weeks I have been getting hang ups.  Both on my cell and on my land line.  Multiple a day!  They are from a caller about 6 hours away in another state (based on the area code), but they never speak a word and if I try to call back they don't pick up and have no answering system.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 10:27:14 PM »
Soon after I got my new phone number I started getting calls from a rehab clinic for "Charles". They were automated calls reminding Charles of his appointment times, so I couldn't call anyone back to tell them they had the wrong number. Then one morning, barely ten minutes after I had woken up and was still rather cranky, I got a call from a live person asking for Charles. Being fed up with all the phone calls, I blew up and rather bluntly told her that there is no Charles here and to STOP calling this number. I think I scared the poor woman on the other end of line.

Then there was the time a teenage boy kept calling the house. As luck would have it I had the same name as the person he was looking for. I finally convinced him I wasn't the "Mary" he wanted to talk to, but not before he had passed my number on to another teenage girl who proceeded to call me up and tell me I was a whore for stealing her boyfriend.

SkyTalon

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 02:12:35 AM »
Every now and again I get calls on my cell phone from this guy working at (I think) a college trying to get a woman to come in and do some work. It first started when my phone's screen broke. I kept it off during the time I was waiting for my new phone to get mailed to me. When it did, I found I had several voice mails. They got increasingly more annoyed sounding at their fails to contact this woman.

Eventually they called and I was able to answer it, as I couldn't call them since for some unknown reason their phone doesn't take incoming calls or something. Anyway, I told him I had received all the voice mails, but there was no Woman. I had this number for years, and never have  I know this Woman. He apologized, said it wouldn't happen again and hung up. Every month or so I still have to remind him, that this number he's dialing is wrong...
This drill will open a hole in the universe!
And that hole will be a path for those behind us!
The dreams of those who've fallen!
The hopes of those who'll follow!
Those two sets of dreams weave together in a double helix!
Drilling a path towards tomorrow!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 10:21:37 PM »
I was staying at a hotel in Buffalo one night, when I was awakened twice by a caller who, without pausing for breath, started babbling "Hello! Hello! How are you? I am from (foreign country)! Do you like (foreign country)? Hello! I am from ...." until I hung up in his ear.

I mentioned it to the desk clerk on checkout the next morning, and he said there had been complaints. I suspect a guest had started drunk-dialling all the rooms. At 3 am.  ::)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2010, 08:25:55 AM »
I was staying at a hotel in Buffalo one night, when I was awakened twice by a caller who, without pausing for breath, started babbling "Hello! Hello! How are you? I am from (foreign country)! Do you like (foreign country)? Hello! I am from ...." until I hung up in his ear.

I mentioned it to the desk clerk on checkout the next morning, and he said there had been complaints. I suspect a guest had started drunk-dialling all the rooms. At 3 am.  ::)

At a hotel in Hollywood, my family's room got calls asking "Are you watching TV?" and "I want to talk to Michael" (no Michaels in the family). It was so creepy, I dubbed the hotel "Hotel California" as a result!
I have pet mice!

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 10:55:39 AM »
I run a call center with a 1-800 number.  A 1-800 number with our preferred ending four digits became available about four years ago and we snatched it up.  Well, it had previously been a state's Dept of Child Services number and seemed to be where people called to complain.  Most people were fine when we explained that we were a financial service's firm's internal IT department.

The best wrong number call : perfectly nice woman who apologized for the wrong number, but caller ID showed as "Lady Pimp". 

Now, we are getting a run of wrong numbers for a substance abuse clinic.  I think that organization printed up some incorrect literature...

My now deceased step-grandmother was one digit off of a very popular golf course.  Thankfully, she was always up early and the 6:30 AM calls for tee times didn't annoy her.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 03:03:27 PM »
My number is, let's say, 123-3456.  The number of the local upscale supermarket is 122-3456.  I get a lot of calls that go like this:

Me: Hello?

Caller: (pause) Um... is this the Fresh Market?

Me: No, you're off by one digit.  But they have really nice strawberries this week, and their pork chops are on sale!

(Caller laughs and apologizes.)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »
A few years ago my brother went through a "rough patch".
He lived with my parents while getting the counselling and medication he needed.

Unfortunately, in the months leading up to his recovery, his decision making skills were...subpar...to put it mildly.

This lead to my mother having the following conversation about 3 am one night:

{sleepy Mom} "Hello?"

Strange Woman "Joe?"

{Mom} "Hello?"

SW (in sultry voice) "Oh Joe, you need to come over right now! I'm sooooo hot!"

{now very awake Mom} "This is his MOTHER!" click

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 12:12:53 AM »
I have had the absolute worst luck with phone numbers.

My cell phone-

*I got random calls for some guy delivering gravel.

*A young woman who said I had her bf's cell phone and she was going to *()*^ and then ><#)*@ and went on from there.  I initially tried to talk to her, but I gave up and hung up.  She never called back.

*One day in the middle of the day I started suddenly getting phone calls in another language.  I watched my voicemail count go up on my phone. 

*One day in the middle of the day I started suddenly getting phone calls in Spanish.  I watched my voicemail count go up on my phone.

After taking multiple phone calls I finally connected who spoke enough English to communicate with and discovered that the Spanish radio station announced a job opening with my telephone number.  Finding someone that spoke English at this radio station was this side of impossible, but my sister who speaks limited Spanish was finally able to communicate well enough to get someone to talk to her and then they miraculously spoke perfect English.  She told them that they had the wrong number, but the guy at the station still thought my cell number was the owner's cell instead of the business number.  My sister recorded a bilingual message on my voicemail, but you would not believe the angry messages people would leave.  They thought I was lying and I just didn't want to hire them.

Kid's cell phone-
Repeated calls for a guy who goes by Rev So-and-So, as in all calls for him were for Rev So-and-So and there were calls of all kinds although mostly collections calls.  After some point his pharmacy called and said his prescription was ready.  I was tired of it so I found him on whitepages and called his home number to discuss it with him.  He was very nice and apologetic and when I mentioned the pharmacy he said ďOh, thatís my cream I need to go pick up.Ē TMI, TMI, TMI!  It did work as the calls dropped off dramatically after that.

Short lived landline-
Had been previously owned by a family who spoke fluent Spanish.  As Iíve noted above I donít speak enough to communicate.  Happened a few years after the cell phone incident and I thought I was in the Twilight Zone.
*Multiple calls from the school district.  A few were about a kid having trouble and as the teacher left her email address I emailed her to inform her of the problem and totally failed in communicating since she emailed me back an even more detailed response.
*Multiple collections calls.
*And last, but not least they had a sideline business for a Spanish-speaking clown.  This is what eventually led me to cancel the service as my phone number was all over the internet and I couldnít get anyone to take it down.  Unfortunately most of those calls ended up with the adult handing over the phone to a kid to whom I had to explain that I was not the clown and no I didnít have the number for the clown.