Author Topic: Baaaaarbaraaaa? (aka weird phone calls)  (Read 20149 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Baaaaarbaraaaa? (aka weird phone calls)
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »
I was working on an emergency project. Not exactly disaster relief, but similar logistics. Government workers and contractors swarmed into an area and took over most of the available lodging. I wound up living for weeks in a trucker motel. Previously, the only women who rented rooms at the motel were in, um, the entertainment profession.

One night I was awakened by a call.

Caller (male with a thick US southern accent, quite obviously drunk): Y'all got a ladder?
Me (half awake): Huh?
Caller: Y'all got a ladder?
Me: A ladder?
Caller: Yeah, for gettin' into the cab. Y'all got a ladder?
Me: No
Caller: Well, ya see. Ah'm a trucker and Ah thought y'all might be into (pause for effect) haulin' freight?
Me: NO!

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2010, 08:34:53 PM »
I got not one but TWO messages today from a Lori talking to a John about visiting the family and the time that they were arriving at the airport. She even left a number- that I called to let know it was the wrong number (I called from my cell, which may confuse them, but the person has not called again. Both messages were very detailed. I may have an alto voice- but it is not so deep that it would be confused with that of a male. I also have an accent that shows- person talking did not share my accent, so I will make the interesting assumption that the recipient does not share my accent either. Machine reveals my number- and person did not leave an area code, so I am guessing the person meant my area code.

That was my chuckle of the day.
I have pet mice!

Ereine

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2010, 12:06:24 AM »
I had a wrong number this week, which isn't strange but he felt that it was necessary to explain that someone had texted him a phone number and that his cell phone battery had died while he was writing it down and that he was now trying to remember what the number was and trying all possibilities.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2010, 08:13:34 AM »
I had a wrong number this week, which isn't strange but he felt that it was necessary to explain that someone had texted him a phone number and that his cell phone battery had died while he was writing it down and that he was now trying to remember what the number was and trying all possibilities.

That alone is weird enough! I'm cracking up right now  ;D
I have pet mice!

MissRose

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2010, 10:19:41 AM »
A few weird ones from the world of work....

I work for an internet service provider, and I help people with email & general website stuff.

Some of the things I've been asked:

*Is this *Hospital Name*

*Is this directory assistance

*I need to make a hotel reservation

*You aren't Cable company Y? (well my intro didn't say that)

*I need help with my cellphone (we dont sell those)

*Can you connect me with an operator so I can get a phone #

Nora

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »
Upon seeing the title of this thread, all I could think of was, "They're coming to get you, Baaaarbara!"

You and me both! Jeez, that sorta dates us, doesn't it?

Nh, I thought that as well, and I'm 26. Unless 26 is dated.....
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »
Working at a newspaper, I get all kinds of weird phone calls.
I've learned to cringe at the words "I've got a great story for you!"

But when we're not feeding the crazy, we get our share of wrong numbers and strange requests.

There was:

1) The caller that launched into a description of the car he was looking for.
It took a while, but I figured out he was *not* looking for a specific vehicle advertised in our paper, but that he thought we were a car dealership.
It took several tries to convince him that no, we do not sell cars.

2) There was the email asking us to email over all the birth announcements from 1990-1991 because the person thought his ex girlfriend might have given birth to his child around that time.
We referred him to the microfilm catalog at the local archives.

3) There was a recent request for a copy of a photo of someone who had passed away in 1991.
This actually was remotely possible we could do something about, but we had no record of this person.
Again, referred her to the archives.

And I've lost track of the number of times that people have called to berate us about delivery issues, a poor article and so forth, only to have it come out that the paper in question is our competition.
There are only two of us in this city. It shouldn't be that hard to tell us apart.
And don't get me started on the number of people who call asking to be transferred to them, or simply wanting their phone number.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2011, 07:18:25 AM »
Creepy phone call today:
Me: Hello?
Man (after a little pause):Hello. (long pause) How are you,darling?
Me: Excuse me, who are you looking for?
Man: Are you Elena?
Me: No, I'm not.You must have dialled the wrong number.
Man: (after a long pause). How are you, darling? Are you also beautiful?

Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:24 AM »
For about three weeks running, I got at least one call on Sunday afternoons from a gentleman overseas who left me lengthy messages in Arabic.

Every so often I get calls on my cellphone with a number that starts with +26. +27 is South Africa, so I figure it must be somewhere nearby. But I'm also not going to answer an international call. I sent an SMS back once saying, "I will NEVER answer your calls, this is the wrong number, stop calling." The calls stopped for a while then started again. I got annoyed and actually picked up and the person hung up the phone in my ear! Now I just ignore and delete.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
Technology really helps, doesn't it?  Years ago, before the advent of caller ID and voice mail, I would come home to repeated fax noises on my answering machine.  Someone had keyed in the wrong fax number, and the machine repeatedly tried to send the fax.  I called the phone company and they said there was nothing they could do until I told them exactly what time of day I received the calls.  I have no idea why they couldn't look at my call records and see who was repeatedly trying to call me during the work day, but they said no, they needed the exact time.

Fortunately I was home sick from work a few days later and could log the calls.  Then they had no problem contacting the caller and telling them to quit dialing the wrong number!

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »
Another "years ago" story.  I lived far away from my family and would call them once a week or so to check in.  Their number was programmed into my phone.

One day, the phone wires must have been transposed.  I called home and an older woman answered.  My parents weren't that old, but my grandmother lived down the street and there was always a good chance she might be at the house.  I said, "Grandma?"

She replied with an absolute note of joy in her voice.  "Hi!"

We started chatting and a few seconds later I realized she was not my grandmother, and somehow I had dialed the wrong number and called someone else's grandma.  We had a good chuckle and wished each other well.

I really hope her grandchildren called her periodically.  She sounded so happy when she thought I was one of her grandchildren.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2011, 12:21:44 PM »
For about three weeks running, I got at least one call on Sunday afternoons from a gentleman overseas who left me lengthy messages in Arabic.

Every so often I get calls on my cellphone with a number that starts with +26. +27 is South Africa, so I figure it must be somewhere nearby. But I'm also not going to answer an international call. I sent an SMS back once saying, "I will NEVER answer your calls, this is the wrong number, stop calling." The calls stopped for a while then started again. I got annoyed and actually picked up and the person hung up the phone in my ear! Now I just ignore and delete.

*headdesk*  Sadly, ignoring and deleting is all you can do sometimes -- people just aren't always good at taking hints, even when you deliver said hints with a clue-by-four.  My guess is that my guy was trying to call someone else overseas and missed some of the extra digits up front, giving him my number.  At least he eventually figured it out...

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2011, 02:10:58 PM »
Someone called my cell one day and didn't leave a message, but their number was in my call log.  Somehow I managed to accidentally dial that number back when I shoved my phone in my purse on my way to lunch.  I didn't realize it at the time, but saw it in the call log when I came back from lunch.

Around 8 that night I get a phone call from someone who asked if I had called them at 11:30 that morning, I apologized and said it was an accident.  They then yelled at me for waking them up at hung up.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2011, 02:54:42 PM »
I've just gotten a second call in a week, asking for Elfqueen by her maiden name, a name she hasn't used for 2 1/2 years.  They refuse to tell me who they are or what they want, just that it's "private personal business."  They want me to give them her phone number.  Needless to say, I won't do that, nor pass on a blind message that she should call them at (number).  I figure that if it's some legitimate reason that she might want to respond to (like a job offer) there wouldn't be any problem with them telling me , right? 

After the first one, she ventured the opinion that maybe it was someone trying to locate her ex-husband's father, since somehow her maiden name got connected with him.   Would it be rude of me to tell the next caller (if there is one) that if this is why they are trying to locate her, she met the man once 15 years ago, does not know where he is, and doesn't even care whether he's still alive or not?  And stop calling this number. ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pinky830

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2011, 08:39:04 PM »
I got a text that said "Merry Christmas!" on Christmas morning from a number I didn't recognize. It was in the neighboring area code, so it could have been someone I knew, but I still can't place the number.