(1/3) > >>

Betsy:
OK so I am having a dinner party on Friday. I planned out this menu:

Appetizer: Bruschetta
Salad: Spring greens with vinaigrette
Main dish: Boursin stuffed chicken breasts
Side Dish: dilled zucchini
Dessert: Peanut butter pie

I went shopping for my ingredients last night and the zucchini looked horrible... like a toddler decided to play drums on all of them (which I wouldn't doubt except they are up high enough that I have trouble reaching them :P) So no dilled zucchini...

I thought about doing roast red potatoes, but those seemed so heavy compared to the rest of the meal. I had planned it out to be a light spring dinner, as well as I'm using my new china and wanted it to be a little "dressy". Any suggestions? Something simple to prepare, with preferably 1 main ingredient and spices.

jibby:
Would roasted/grilled asparagus work?  I got a recipe off of here a while back and it was delicious and simple.  Brush the asparagus with olive oil, sprinkle seasonings on top (I used basil and Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt), bake on cookie sheet at 425 for about 8 minutes. 

veryfluffy:
Rather than having a side dish with herbs (boursin is garlic and herb cheese, i think?), what about fine green beans with sesame seeds? Best is the "extra fine" beans, cooked until just tender. Toast a few tablespoons of sesame seeds in a non-stick frying pan (over medium heat, stirring and watching -- they go toasty quite suddenly, so have a bowl ready to transfer them into as soon as they do). You can do this in advance, then just toss the beans in a small amount of butter or olive oil and then toss in the sesame seeds.

jibby:
I'm not the OP, but that sounds delicious, veryfluffy!  I'll have to try that myself (to date, DH only eats his mom's green beans, i.e., swimming in butter). 

I didn't know what boursin was.  :-[ 

Betsy:

--- Quote from: veryfluffy on May 31, 2007, 10:08:12 AM ---Rather than having a side dish with herbs (boursin is garlic and herb cheese, i think?), what about fine green beans with sesame seeds? Best is the "extra fine" beans, cooked until just tender. Toast a few tablespoons of sesame seeds in a non-stick frying pan (over medium heat, stirring and watching -- they go toasty quite suddenly, so have a bowl ready to transfer them into as soon as they do). You can do this in advance, then just toss the beans in a small amount of butter or olive oil and then toss in the sesame seeds.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the idea... I consider sesame seeds a spice so that counts ;)... Although the asparagus would work well too since I have that growing in my backyard. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version