Author Topic: Thanksgiving traditions?  (Read 6738 times)

Mrs. Pilgrim

• I use cleaning for therapy. The carpets don't brag about needing cleaning, and the dishes don't diss me.
  • I love waffles--but only the food kind.
Thanksgiving traditions?
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »
I realize it's early in the year yet to think of Thanksgiving, but it's something I've been contemplating lately.

Other than what you serve at suppertime or what you might watch on TV, does anyone have any traditions for Thanksgiving?  Mr. P. and I are seriously considering doing more to celebrate a religio-patriotic (and largely uncontroversial!) holiday.

Among the ideas I've already concocted are:

1.  Three dinners in a row--the first on the day before with fish and such; the second on the day itself; the third with venison (to commemorate the contribution by the Native guests);
2.  More decorations;
3.  Encouraging the kids to do a pageant (when they're older).

Does anyone else do nifty things that day?  I'm starving for ideas.
"Use the proper word, not its second cousin." --Mark Twain, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses

allgone

Re: Thanksgiving traditions?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 12:30:58 AM »
We go bowling after dinner.  I don't think that's exactly what you are looking for but we do it every year as a family.  Even if we all scatter for dinner to in-laws houses, we meet up at a certain time to bowl.

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:40:20 AM »
Invite people who don't have anywhere to go and make a cool meal together. I've also watched movies all evening by myself. My favorite is going and visiting people in hospitals or nursing homes. I always ask for someone who hasn't had visitors that day.

PeterM

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
My favorite Thanksgiving tradition from childhood might not be to everyone's taste. Instead of the parade, we'd watch monster movies. Channel 9 out of Jersey and channel 11 out of NYC went head to head in a monster movie triple feature. One played King Kong, Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young every year, the other countered with three more or less random Godzilla movies. The challenge was deciding what to watch. The second two hour block always went to Godzilla, 'cause Son of Kong sucks. But King Kong and Mighty Joe Young are powerful good movies, no matter how many times you see them. But some of the Godzilla movies might be things you hadn't seen in years. The pressure would occasionally just melt my poor little brain. And if King Kong vs. Godzilla was up against Mighty Joe Young, all bets were off. We'd wear out the remote changing back and forth. Good times, good times.

As for actual, you know, meal related advice, your three dinner idea sounds like a great time, but my advice is not to kill yourself. Too often I've seen the hosts go overboard with this sort of thing to the point that they can't actually enjoy the day themselves. My favorite Thanksgivings have always been the ones that had plenty of good food - doesn't much matter what kind - that I could spend with family and friends. No pomp and circumstance or fancy stuff needed.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:39:05 AM »
The Thanksgivings that I remember were full of conversations with lots of people. Especially lots of people who were sort of new to the event (like the aunt who came this year when she usually doesn't).

Multigenerational conversation especially!

My favorite one was the one where at 4pm, when dinner was cleaned up, we got out the board games and played with the aunties, parents, etc.

Having the structure of the games gave us something to talk about with people who we liked but didn't see often, and had few conversational gambits for.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »
(and largely uncontroversial!) holiday.

LOL!

Our main thanksgiving tradition is football. :P We always make a point to invite over anyone we know who can't be with family as well, though.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Jessie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 01:47:16 AM »
My Thanksgiving tradition is waking up to watch the parade. Now that we live so far away from our families though, we've started a new tradition of going away for thanksgiving. Last year we went to Vegas (it was lovely watching the parade while eating room service breakfast) and this year we're thinking of doing a cruise. Which I guess means we'll have to dvr the parade  :(

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »
Invite people who don't have anywhere to go and make a cool meal together.

This can be a lot of fun, particularly if you don't have family nearby that you celebrate with.  I had friends who did a yearly "Thanksgiving for the Stranded" that consisted of friends and coworkers who were too far away to go for Thanksgiving, had no-one to celebrate with, or were from countries that didn't celebrate it. They provided the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and pumpkin pie, and everyone else contributed sides, appetizers or other deserts. We all ate dinner and then watched movies or played board games for the rest of the day. (Not watching the game was a big part, too).

Part of the fun was the diverse mix of people - the coworker camp was split between scientists and theatre people, and part was the interesting variety of food people brought.

bellawitch

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 12:26:02 PM »
I think one of my favorite Thanksgivings was a year when it was just me and the kids. I wasn't in the mood for a traditional meal, so I told the kids to think about anything they wanted to eat. (I usually spent a fortune on a regular turkey dinner, so unless they picked cavier and foie gras I figured my budget would be safe.) We went to the store and they had a ball picking out the groceries. So on Thanksgiving we watched movies, munched and just hung out together.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »
The day after Thanksgiving my friend E makes turkey soup from the leftover turkey and he and is wife open up their house, put out stacks and stacks of books and everyone drops by through out the day to snuggle up read stories out loud to each other.

It is FUN!
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 02:43:48 PM »
We used to have a "tradition" of my grandmother would start insulting the food (and me and my mom) and my uncle wouold get drunk and start telling anyone that would listen what a "easy girl" my grandmother is. (His weird way of defending Mom and me)

And everything would end in either a fist fight, me having a breakdown, or both.

Until last year.

Last year, since my mom was dead, I of course had the holiday with my dad, stepmom and stepbrother. (Who I hate to say step about... that kid's been my baby brother since he was four. Mineminemine.) DB and I made angel thumbies, we all watched a batman movie while we ate, then we all trouped out to the grasslands nearby to look for acorns for my chickens.

It was honestly one of the nicest holidays I've ever had. I hope it becomes a tradition.

Oh, and the next day I made turkey pasties with the last of the refridgerated pie dough and filled them with red jelly, because I have drawn faces on them and thought it would be funny when they bled. Turns out orange cranberry jelly and turkey are YUMMY.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »
In our house we watch movies!  March of the Wooden Soldiers is a must (anyone else in the NYC area remember watching it every year on PIX 11?)  As is Miracle on 34th Street (the original!) and Home For The Holiday's. Since Home for the Holiday's is actually a Thanksgiving movie & Miracle on 34th Street opens w. the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, they fit in perfectly with the day.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »
I always think at Thanksgiving.  How about a pie making day the night before?  Bake some pies and maybe speciality breads?

What about a craft project for the fall or a christmas one (if you start xmas early)?  Like making a nice wreath to hang up or a photo collage?

Also for the evening you could make a nice spiced apple cider to share.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 02:57:28 PM »
My favorite is going and visiting people in hospitals or nursing homes. I always ask for someone who hasn't had visitors that day.

That is awesome.
The status is not quo!

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 02:57:46 PM »
Kimblee, I started enjoying Thanksgiving when I stopped spending it with my family.  They invite me every year and every year I tell them I am busy.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.