Author Topic: Thanksgiving traditions?  (Read 7394 times)

Hollymom1229

Re: Thanksgiving traditions?
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »
Always had the black olive tradition growing up, and have taught the same thing to my four year old niece.  DH and I have developed our own tradition.  After we finish everything with family on Thanksgiving we drive up to Ephrata, PA and spend the night there.  The next day we go to an awesome PA Dutch Farmer's Market.  We arrive first thing in the morning and completely restock our freezer with fresh meats, and we buy tons of stuff for the Christmas season, and then do the start of our Christmas shopping. 

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 05:42:04 PM »
My bro & I had the black olive tradition too.  His new wife is allergic so no more black olive tradition, just more for me AFTER they leave  >:D  Other than that, the tradition is for me to do all the cooking and then clean up while people veg on the sofa...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 02:48:56 AM »
Actually, I'm starting a new tradition this year! I'm going to work (double time and 1/2)! For the past few years I have spent 3 days preparing and cooking for a feast. My kids and spouses show up, full from the 3 + dinners they went to before mine, and are not hungry. Several of us in the family also work at jobs that are 24/7 so don't have the day off either.

This year, my future son-in-law's mother and I are cooking the day after together. That way, when the kids show up, they will be  hungry!

MissRose

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2010, 08:37:27 AM »
The last few years, my parents have me, my sister & her kids, and my aunt & uncle come over for dinner.

My parents cook most of the food.  Me, my sister & kids and my aunt & uncle each bring something to pass.

Detroit Lions game is on the TV to listen to in the other room during dinner then after dinner, most of us retire to the living room to watch the game (win or lose, Detroit football on Turkey Day is tradition in Michigan IMO, and you don't monkey with tradition... AMEN!!).