Author Topic: And here's to you, Mrs. Malaprop ...  (Read 8825 times)

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
Re: And here's to you, Mrs. Malaprop ...
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »
I always love being asked if I have something "Pacific" in mind. 

A (very un)esteemed member of Congress, who shall remain nameless but who is from my hometown (darn it) says "pacific" when she means "specific."

However, since she is about as sharp as a bag of wet hair, this is the least of her sins.

A lot of my co-workers say "pacific", too. Drives me nuts.

Just to give the other side: My dad cannot pronounce "specific" so it comes out "pacific" for him, too.   If these people are saying it from not knowing the real word, then it is funny :) It's less funny when it's a speech impediment, though.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »
I always love being asked if I have something "Pacific" in mind. 

A (very un)esteemed member of Congress, who shall remain nameless but who is from my hometown (darn it) says "pacific" when she means "specific."

However, since she is about as sharp as a bag of wet hair, this is the least of her sins.

A lot of my co-workers say "pacific", too. Drives me nuts.

Just to give the other side: My dad cannot pronounce "specific" so it comes out "pacific" for him, too.   If these people are saying it from not knowing the real word, then it is funny :) It's less funny when it's a speech impediment, though.

Nope, no speech impediments amongst my co-workers.

I actually think in my case, it might very well be regional....like how a lot of people here pronounce "phone" as "foam"

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 12:35:48 AM »
And here's one on myself:  I was once telling DH (we had just met at the time, and he was way too nice to laugh at me about it, but I did have a good laugh at myself) about a movie I'd seen where they were throwing "Mazel Tov" cocktails at something in an attempt to blow it up.

Oh, that is SO getting appropriated.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 04:23:04 PM »
I used to get amused at customers coming to the pharmacy for their subscriptions. Because there are amagazines inside those tiny pills, you see.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »
I used to get amused at customers coming to the pharmacy for their subscriptions. Because there are amagazines inside those tiny pills, you see.

Subscriptions for their health "issues," perhaps?  ;D
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Danismom

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 10:34:24 PM »
When I waited tables, I would do my best to not cringe when someone ordered "scrimps" with their meal.  That one drives me bonkers.

Any chance you were waiting tables at a chain of family owned restaurants that now has restaurants that specialize in seafood, Cajun seafood (-deaux), steak house, Italian (-mia), Greek (Ya-Ya), and of course, Mexican (-sitos)?  I've waited tables there and we all laughed about those scrimps!!  Unfortunately it was a glaring red sign that said the tip would be minimal or non-existent also.

kitty-cat

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 10:46:35 PM »
Mine happened during a presentation for a class. A big presentation too...

I forgot the word "Diocese"

Instead I said "Bishopy area"

I don't think they are ever going to let me forget, and to make it never die? One of my friends sits right by me in class...

NE Florida

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 12:20:20 AM »
One of my friends says, "Of course, now it's a moo point."

I thought maybe it was just me hearing it wrong, but then I saw her type it out that way in an email.  I chuckle a little internally when she says it, but she's the type that would not take it well if I were to correct her.  She is very touchy with being publicly outed as wrong, so someday, I hope, she'll figure it out on her own.

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 01:14:08 AM »

I thought maybe it was just me hearing it wrong, but then I saw her type it out that way in an email.  I chuckle a little internally when she says it, but she's the type that would not take it well if I were to correct her.  She is very touchy with being publicly outed as wrong, so someday, I hope, she'll figure it out on her own.

This may be a reference to the TV show Friends.

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 02:50:11 AM »

This may be a reference to the TV show Friends.

Can you elaborate?  I haven't seen many episodes, unfortunately.  Does one of the characters use the phrase?  Like a running gag?

chibichan

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ifdqEmlx-I

Here you go . Actually , it does make sense the way he explains it  ;D .

I once was discussing some paycheck issue with a co-worker . I told her that I had been shorted on my check for about 4 hours of overtime .

She told me " You make sure they give it to you radioactive ."
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

marcel

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »
Bagman has a co-worker I've dubbed Mr. Malaprop, because he seems to come out with a new one every day. Recent ones I enjoyed were "cutting-age technology" (that's plastic surgery, right?) and "unthaw" (I guess that means freeze).

Slightly OT,
The Dutch language has the word unthaw (ontdooien) and it means the same as thaw (dooien).
They are used in different ways though. dooien (thaw) usually refers to the weather, while ontdooien (unthaw) refers to items (like meat you get out of the freezer.)
Wherever you go..... There you are.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2010, 12:02:29 PM »
I saw where a character had made a MUTE point in a book the other day - I wanted so badly to grab a pen (or at least a Post It note) and change it to a moot point. 

I make a point of only correcting the grammar & spelling in books that I own - not borrow. 

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »
A girl I know told me that she kept roses all over her house because they were "scarce" to her.  

I am pretty sure she meant "sacred".  She was talking about her beliefs and religion and how the roses connected to it.

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ifdqEmlx-I

Here you go . Actually , it does make sense the way he explains it  ;D .

OK, that's pretty hilarious.  Thanks for the link!