Author Topic: And here's to you, Mrs. Malaprop ...  (Read 8631 times)

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
Re: And here's to you, Mrs. Malaprop ...
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2010, 09:30:31 PM »
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a malapropism, but - my former (law enforcement) partner was giving a presentation (to a bunch of other cops, which will important later). Since we had all just been through sensitivity/diversity training, he suddenly decided he'd better not use the word "redneck." Instead he substituted "gentleman of the pickup persuasion."

Of the 40+ cops in the meeting, 25 drove pickups.

However, all were on the floor laughing.

Partner has STILL not lived this down, especially as he is now retired and drives a pickup truck!
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »
Relayed to me this morning by a woman camped near us at an event. She saw the little portapotty in our tent and told me this story:

She used to have a job that required her to visit people's apartments, and she was commenting to a co-worker on her distaste for the amount of air freshener and other heavily scented stuff some people use in their homes.

Co-worker (a guy): "I know what you mean! I was in this one apartment, and they had one of those portapotty things in the living room ... on top of the gas heater! Man, did that smell!"

It took her a while, but she finally figured out that what was on top of the heater was POTPOURRI.

Now I'll never be able to hear the word "potpourri" again without thinking "portapotty."

Apropos of that, the first time Bagman saw the portapotty, he said, "They misspelled it."

Me: "Misspelled what?"
BM: "P!sspot!"

(The brand name is Passport.)
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2010, 01:29:03 AM »
One of my friends says, "Of course, now it's a moo point."
MIL would say it was a "mute point".  Also "for all intensive purposes".
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »
BF says Karmen instead of Karma as in:  "He didn't hold the door for me and I nearly dropped everything in my arms... but I saw him slip and fall on the icy sidewalk right after that... that's Karmen for ya!"

He is also one to say "Are you serial/cereal?" (instead of serious) to which I always reply "Yes, Fruit Loops!"  (But I think he thinks he's cute for saying this way, whereas he really doesn't seem to know about karma... and I won't correct him  ;D)

And we first started dating in Octobter ('06) and were out on a third date or so going to buy fall decorations for his yard and all the way there he was talking about how he really wanted to get some cords.  I thought he needed them to plug something in or tie something up?  Until we got there and he made a bee-line for the gourds... LOL.. it probably led me to fall in love with him right there...  :-*

Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »
"South Park" did an episode that made fun of a certain American politician who, when nobody took his points seriously, repeatedly whined, "I'm serial!"

I know how to spell and pronounce "hors d'oeuvres," but thanks to Archie Bunker, they will forever be "horse ovaries" to me!  ;D

My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 09:57:34 AM »
I've posted this in another thread a while ago, but still find it funny. ;D

Mum: "Do you know, there was ever such an interesting documentary on Radio Four today. All about the life of Vidal Sassoon, and how he went through such terrible things in the trenches, in the Great War..."

(After her lengthy and animated commentary on Vidal Sassoon: War Hero, Dad [who'd been manfully stifling a grin all the way through] finally cracked and murmured: "I think you mean Siegfried Sassoon, love...")

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2010, 10:27:09 PM »
Dh is playing WoW and needed to have a smoke and potty break..

he asked the people he was playing with for a "small intervention"  ;D

Katharos

• I licked a lobster for luck
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
My coworker just couldn't pronounce things correctly so he would say things like
eastamonical for astronomical
confidential reality for confidentiality

Sadly my coworker passed away last month and I'm desperately trying to remember more because they were so awesome.

MizB

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »
One of my (now former today was my last day at that job) said comprehensive for apprehensive.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Mopsy428

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2010, 09:54:54 PM »
My mother has quite a few. Unfortunately, the only one I can remember right now is when she says "ammo" for "M.O."  For example, she'd say, "It was the robber's ammo to leave roses outside the banks he robbed!" I've tried explaining to her that the correct term is "M.O." and what it is short for, but she still uses "ammo".

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »
My mother has quite a few. Unfortunately, the only one I can remember right now is when she says "ammo" for "M.O."  For example, she'd say, "It was the robber's ammo to leave roses outside the banks he robbed!" I've tried explaining to her that the correct term is "M.O." and what it is short for, but she still uses "ammo".
She probably can't hear any difference, Mopsy.  My grandmother would pronounce "Hawaii" as "Haworya" and insist that she was saying it the same as anyone else.  She also worshed her dishes, and when she was done worshin', she wrenched them.
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
And unfortunately, it isn't always funny. :(

There was a case locally several years ago where a 911 operator was charged in a 'wrongful death' case.  The local news played the 911 tapes, and it was very clear that she was at fault.  The frantic caller kept saying that his  mother was "incoherent" and it was pretty clear that he meant "unconscious".  But instead of saying "Sir, 'incoherent' means that you can't understand what she is saying.  Is that what you mean?" she just kept saying "Well, why is she incoherent?"  And finally she said "When you find out, call me back." and HUNG UP ON HIM!!!  :o  And the mother died because she was not transported to the hospital in time.

And come to think of it, a person who has had a stroke might be described as 'incoherent' when suddenly they can't speak clearly, so even if the poor son was using the right term, the 911 op should have sent an ambulance.
into books first.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »

Co-worker (a guy): "I know what you mean! I was in this one apartment, and they had one of those portapotty things in the living room ... on top of the gas heater! Man, did that smell!"

It took her a while, but she finally figured out that what was on top of the heater was POTPOURRI.

Freudian slip?:)))
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

LadyL

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »
I have a twitch about "cutesy" versions of medical/anatomical terminology when used in a conversation between adults (i.e. "wee wee," "tummy ache," "boo boo"). My MIL manages this and a malapropism with "Alt timers." It's a mix of "Old Timer's" and "Alzheimer's." She also uses "Alt timer-ish" as an adjective. Considering that her mother was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease I really wish she would use the proper terminology.