Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 689509 times)

SoCalVal

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3495 on: October 07, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »
No, I just know that it takes an hour to transcribe 15 minutes of dictation, and that's only if you can understand what you're hearing.

I wish I'd known that during the years I was transcribing dictation.  I just thought I was super-slow and awful (probably still was since I had zero to minimal experience doing it but, at least, I know now that it actually is a pretty slow process).

Shalamar

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3496 on: October 07, 2014, 11:22:19 AM »
He got very upset and accused me of being uncooperative. 

Did you work for my mum's former boss?  He did not like being told "What you're asking for is impossible."  Over time, she learned to say "Sure, boss!", then come back later with a sad face and say "I'm sorry, I just couldn't get it all done in time."  He was fine with that.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #3497 on: October 07, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »
Technically, it may not be impossible.

But two different people called this morning saying that they had deposited items in our bookdrops and that they were still out. I searched every part of the library where they could have been possibly shelved- they did not appear.

Did they really want me to search the whole library- disregarding all other customers and tasks- and look for the missing items?

Not impossible = / = easily doable.
I have pet mice!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3498 on: October 07, 2014, 01:00:05 PM »
Technically, it may not be impossible.

But two different people called this morning saying that they had deposited items in our bookdrops and that they were still out. I searched every part of the library where they could have been possibly shelved- they did not appear.

Did they really want me to search the whole library- disregarding all other customers and tasks- and look for the missing items?

Not impossible = / = easily doable.

I didn't work in a public or university library but I knew people who do.  Because they're frequently visited places, Public libraries often have covered trash cans or mail boxes  near the main entrance.   It's very common for people to mistake these receptacles for book drops. 

Back in the 1950s, NYC had rather elegant trash receptacles on Fifth Avenue.  They were colored gold and raised on a pedestal.  They were removed when too many tourists thought they were mail boxes and were sending post cards directly into the trash.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3499 on: October 07, 2014, 08:20:27 PM »
I am legally entitled to a library card from two different systems (a really great deal for me!). The branches of each that I use most often are located in adjacent cities, and are only a few miles apart.

I got a courtesy email from Library A, that my books were due in three days. But...I returned the books last week. Then I remembered. I had gone to Library B last week, and dumped off ALL my books, including those for Library A.

So I went to Library B in a panic. The nice librarian just chuckled. This happens all the time, he reassured me. People assume that "a library is a library" and return books wherever it's convenient. Especially on Mondays, when Library A was closed--why not just take the books to Library B?

They had a specific procedure for returning books to Library A. Unfortunately, it was cumbersome and took time, so he recommended that I renew my Library A books to avoid fines. I did that, and all was well.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

BigBadBetty

« Reply #3500 on: October 07, 2014, 08:33:12 PM »
I volunteer at a local charity shop and we get strange requests all the time, but one lady last week took the biscuit.

Note that we only sell what people donate to us, we don't buy in stock at all.

Lady- I like these shoes, but the size is too small.
Me- I'm afraid that is the only size we have.
Lady- I like these shoes, but the size is too small
Me- We only have that size, we only have what is donated to us and that is what we were given.
Lady- I want these shoes, but they are too small. Go and see if you have any bigger ones.
Me- We don't have any bigger ones, we only have those ones.......*repeat about 5 more times*

In the end I think she got bored and gave up, but nothing I said could get across the fact that we only had the pair of shoes she was holding and there was no way I could get them in a bigger size.

Related to that, this weekend I was in line to check out at a major US department store that has high prices in general, but really good deals can be found on the clearance racks. But, you know, the merchandise is *clearance*, which means the store is clearing it out.

The woman in front of me did not understand this.

Customer: I like this shirt, but I want it in green. I saw green shirts on the rack, but not in my size.

Sales clerk: Let me check inventory. Oh, I see on the tag that this is clearance. This may be the only color we have in this size. But let me check . . . . No, sorry, we don't have this size in green. It is available at Store X and Store Y (both in cities within a 40 minute drive of where we were).

Customer: There is no way I can get there. I need this shirt in green. Go check out back!

Sales Clerk: I'm sorry, but we don't have any more green shirts in this size in the store. We do have the blue and the pink, though. Or I can call one of the other stores and have them hold a green shirt in your size for you.

Customer [speaking very slowly, as if to a child who cannot comprehend, and in a very angry tone]: I want this shirt in this size in green. What can't you understand about that?

Sales Clerk: I'm sorry, we just don't have that shirt in that size in green anymore. It's a clearance item, which means that we have reduced the price to sell it to make way for new stock. You can choose another color, I can have another store hold a green shirt for you, or you can order the shirt on-line, but there will be a $10 delivery fee.

Customer: I shouldn't have to pay for delivery when you should just have the shirt in the store!

At this point, another sales person happened by, figured out something was wrong, and took over the difficult customer. As my stuff was being rung up, I could hear them going through exactly the same exchanges. The customer ended up snapping out something pretty rude to the second sales person and then stomping out of the building.

I'm not sure what the customer expected the poor sales clerk to do--hop in her car and drive to the nearest branch of the chain that had the shirt, buy it for her and drive back?

I worked in a shoe store. We only had a few shoes in our back room. They were the very expensive athletic shoes. Customers would insist that I check for more sizes on shoes that I knew we didn't have in back. After a while, I just started to go back and "check". I went to the back room (also our break room) and had a snack or go to the bathroom.

MissRose

« Reply #3501 on: October 10, 2014, 08:19:33 AM »
At my work, there have been upgrades on customer side things and some customers are required to make a few minor changes to take advantage of the newer items.

One guy has called in numerous times in the past month and, was told that he must do X, Y and Z for his service to fully function correctly and if its not done, things will not work.  He keeps thinking we will do the changes on his side but the work he must do we cannot automatically do for him even though he insists we can.  He could be also be a PD candidate too as the work he needed to do affects the email functionality for the place he says he does IT support for - makes me wonder if places really check the background of people who claim they are IT people.