Author Topic: What sentimental/heirloom item will you keep forever?  (Read 2300 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What sentimental/heirloom item will you keep forever?
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »
My grandmother's handmade lace doilies. The strand of pearls my maternal grandfather gave to my mother on her wedding day and that she gave to me. Jewelry and Eeyore stuff from my DH.

My wedding album, my son's baby album, and the ring bearer pillow I made for my wedding.

green.and.blue

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
Turns out my Grandpa gave my Grandma an engraved charm for her charm bracelet for each grandchild's birth. She only wore it on very special occasions, and none of us had ever had a close look at it. When he passed, my uncle gave each grandchild their own charm, and had the rest mounted and framed in a shadow box which he has at his house. It's been fun at Christmas to gather around and try to guess what each of the other charms signify.

lofty

• My blog and shops
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 01:32:28 PM »
I'm sniffling slightly at these...must be allergies...

-my grandmother's first wedding ring. Yes, you read that correctly; for their 50th anniversary they got new ones and had to have the original ones cut off their fingers. A bit of solder and it was good as new, so she gave it to me as first-born granddaughter. It's a perfect pinky ring and I never take it off.

-DH's grandmother and mother died within a year of each other, and as the only one who was on his way to starting a family we got many of their things. His grandma's cedar chest with treasures within; the flag from his grandfather, a few family records, his mother's journal from when DH was young. His mom also gave me her mom's pearls and I wore them as a bracelet for our wedding.

-when DS was baptized, my FIL surprised us by giving him a rosary that belonged to DH's mom.

-when I met DH, he wore a green whetstone pendant 24/7/365 that he gave me when we started "going steady".

-every year for our anniversary we trek out to a waterfall and find a rock from there to commemorate the occasion. Last week my DH & DS played hookey and headed out to one themselves, after which DS presented me with rocks 'for Mommy'. Oh yeah, those are on my desk forever.
Coffee and paper make everything better, hence why my blog is www.CaffeinatedPapercuts.com

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »
I was named after my grandmothers. Each one of them left me her diamond ring. Mr. Nutrax and I had the diamonds set into a custom design for my wedding ring. I still have the original mounts so the diamonds can be put back in & passed on to the next generation.

When I got my ears pierced at age 16 (without parental permission) my father offered to make me an earring holder. He traced my hand on a piece of thick plastic and drilled holes along all the fingers to put earrings in. He painted the hand link & mounted it upright on a black base. It's been almost 50 years and it is still my earring holder.

My best story: I took a tour of southern & eastern Turkey two weeks after 9/11. There were 10 of us, all American, plus our guide & a driver. The Turks we met invariably expressed sympathy. One day, we stopped our van for gas in a town that sees few tourists. Two of our group got out to stretch their legs and began talking to the proprietor in German. When they told him we were Americans, he suddenly stopped the conversation, walked over to the van and started counting us. He then summoned a little boy and sent him into the small shop that was part of the gas station. The boy emerged with 10 small serving bowls, apparently the only thing the proprietor had 10 of. He insisted on giving us each a bowl, as they only way he could think of to express his feelings.

The bowl is cheap, ugly and useless. I wouldn't part with it for anything.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

mime

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »
Oh, I'm a big mush bucket.

My grandmother's engagement ring - it is a "flip" ring.  A cameo on one side and the it flips on a hinge and there's a plain onyx on the other.  I also have her pin watch.  It looks like a tree branch and the watch face hangs in the middle.

The star sapphire necklace that belonged to my favorite aunt who passed 10 years ago.

My late MIL's cedar check.  It's a very old Lane cedar chest (late 1940's-early 1950's).  She gave it to me when DH and I got engaged.  I will pass it to whomever DS marries.  Also the sweaters and afghans she knitted for all of us.

The green silk pajamas with gold dragons DH brought back from a trip to Singapore for DS when he was two.

The flip ring sounds like a very unique heirloom!

The cedar chest stories remind me that I will eventually get my grandparents' cedar chests. There were two of them in our attic for as long as I can remember. When I was growing up two of my grandparents were dead. When my mom would indicate the cedar chests in the attic and say "those are your grandparents' ", I didn't understand that she was telling me that those were my grandparents' chests. I thought she was telling me that those were my grandparents... in the chests. I actually thought they were coffins in which we were keeping Grandma and Grandpa in the attic. I had become used to this idea at such a young age that it didn't seem odd to me at all, until I was a bit older and realized how creepy that was.  :P