Author Topic: Where do you get your coffee?  (Read 2215 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: Where do you get your coffee?
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:05 AM »
Ah, coffee......delightful stuff.

For the record, I used to hate coffee, except for the smell.  I actually went through *16* years of night shift without coffee!    But later on, I realized that it wasn't *coffee* itself that I hated - it was *bad* coffee.  (I worked on am Army base for 5 years. Talk about bad coffee!).   So I learned how to make good coffee.  Then I became a coffee snob.  Sorry.

I'm in the Washington DC metro area and found these guys in a Costco one day.
http://mayorgacoffee.com/
I was instantly hooked, and now I buy all of my coffee from them.  I try to wait for sales and stock up.

None of this one-cup-at-a-time stuff for me - my favorite coffee cup holds 28 ounces, and that's what I drink.  Every day.  Just one really BIG cup of coffee.  I make a pot of coffee twice a week, doctor the whole pot (hey, I live alone!) with sweetener and half-n-half, then drink the first enormous cup hot, and put the rest in jars in the fridge for the next two days.   Delicious.   On saturdays I either go out for breakfast, or drink tea.  My favorite diner has pretty good coffee, and I like McDonald's in a pinch, but I try to avoid powdered creamer whenever possible. It's just powdered trans fat and tastes nasty anyway. If I really *had* to, I'd use plain milk, but I'm very fond of half-n-half, the regular kind, NOT the fat-free crap. 

I tend to prefer to buy it pre-ground, but it really does stay fresher if I grind it myself. I do it in the blender, a month or two at a time, then keep the ground coffee in an airtight jar.

Starbucks just tastes burned to me, but their green tea is pretty good.

daen

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2014, 12:32:49 PM »

None of this one-cup-at-a-time stuff for me - my favorite coffee cup holds 28 ounces, and that's what I drink.  Every day.  Just one really BIG cup of coffee.  I make a pot of coffee twice a week, doctor the whole pot (hey, I live alone!) with sweetener and half-n-half, then drink the first enormous cup hot, and put the rest in jars in the fridge for the next two days.   Delicious.   On saturdays I either go out for breakfast, or drink tea.  My favorite diner has pretty good coffee, and I like McDonald's in a pinch, but I try to avoid powdered creamer whenever possible. It's just powdered trans fat and tastes nasty anyway. If I really *had* to, I'd use plain milk, but I'm very fond of half-n-half, the regular kind, NOT the fat-free crap. 

The whole fat-free or low-fat half-and-half thing puzzles me. Surely when one removes that much butterfat, it ceases to be "half-milk, half-cream" and becomes, well, milk?

Clearly I don't understand cream and/or marketing.
/threadjack

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
I'm new to the coffee drinking world (had to give up my soda addiction), and DH and I have been brewing coffee at home and taking it in travel mugs.  There are mornings where we run out at home and living in the land of Dunkin Donuts, we both head out to Dunks before work.  This morning I needed breakfast as well and decided to try McDonalds Egg white english muffin (lower in calories and yummy) and since I was there and coffee was a dollar I thought I would try something new.

I researched the calories ahead of time and knew they offered flavored syrup and light cream.  So when the guy asked if I wanted cream, I said yes.  When I got my coffee it was good, but so light I don't think it had any coffee in it.  Which made me think there was way more than 50 calories of cream in there.

So it got me to thinking, where do you get your coffee?  If you brew at home, what is your favorite brand?
I grew up in a coffee drinking family (my dad being Finnish) but don't drink it much any more, and I opt for tea.  When I drink it I like brands like Thanksgiving.  I have a cone that I use to make one cup at a time. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.