Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 200810 times)

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1020 on: June 30, 2012, 12:49:27 AM »
Yeah... I have one for the dirty minded.  If anyone is interested, PM me. ::)

It's all in how you spell things...

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1021 on: June 30, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »
I moderated our local FreeCycle for a while (before being kicked off for being "not Christian enough," but that's another story).
And what does one's religious beliefs (or lack thereof) have to do with giving away things one no longer wants?

Long story short, someone on the list was spamming everyone she ever corresponded with (including everyone who posted on FreeCycle) asking for donations for her church.  Other members complained.  Other moderator didn't see any problem with it because it was for church; I privately told the other moderator that it didn't matter because FreeCycle is a non-religious organization.  She then sent me a ranty email accusing me of being "not Christian enough" and that she was praying for my soul, then banned me from FreeCycle.  I got no response from the regional FreeCycle liason and gave up until an atheist friend of mine got offended at something the other moderator said a year or so later and finally got a response.  I got allowed to re-sign up (not as a moderator, just a normal member) and the regional lady became our co-moderator.  Still didn't "fire" the crazy moderator, though.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1022 on: July 03, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »
Mr. Sirius showed me another one:

"TABLE AND CHAIR" $40

The text read "Set the table and chair."  However, there were no contact instructions, and from what Mr. Sirius described the "set" consisted of a battered outdoor table and two equally battered chairs.

Wench

« Reply #1023 on: August 03, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »
Obviously the entitlement and insanity levels has got to one of the moderators of our local freecycle!

Dear Freecycle members,

It is with glee that I am informing you all that I will be hanging up my lead moderator boots as quite honestly the amount of morons I have had to deal with is beyond stupid. Between the lady that emailed me saying that freecycle was crap because she never got anything she wanted, the bloke who thinks google are 'after' him, the lady that wanted to report a member to the police for not responding and the total pillock who reports that he makes between £1100 to £1300 pounds a month from selling other peoples stuff, quite honetly I cannot be bothered anymore. Most of you are decent, kind people but the rest are obviously missing more then grey cells. So good luck in your future freecycling and do be more careful who you give your old things to!

Laters Baby ;-)

I have to say this did make me laugh.  Especially the idiot who admitted to selling stuff from freecycle.  I'm sure people do that sort of thing but who would admit to it so openly.

CakeBeret

« Reply #1024 on: August 03, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »
I love the "It is with glee..."
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Amara

« Reply #1025 on: August 03, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »
Poor guy. Freecycle is a really fabulous idea but the freeloaders/resellers/entitlers/etc. who populate it can devastate the quality. And that is truly sad for all the good people who belong.

That message is not all that dissimilar from one the moderator of my Freecycle group wrote a few months ago, except he warned us that he would remove moderation and let the spamming scammers have at it. Fortunately, members responded in droves and he realized how appreciated he really was.

I have mentioned before that I have given many brand new books away on Freecycle. For a long time I would invariably receive at least one and often several emails from people who said, "I will take them all!" Yea, right. All those different genres are of interest to you. When I finally starting including a note about wanting to spread them out and not giving anyone who wanted all of them any of them it stopped. But it was so obvious that eBay, CL and Amazon sellers were trying to grab free inventory. And that just wasn't going to happen on my watch--or with my donations.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #1026 on: August 03, 2012, 02:24:30 PM »
I would have probably genuinely wanted them all. 
A few times I have played a "game" at the library.  I walk down a row at the library and try to make it to the end without finding a book I absolutely positively must read.  I don't even really look at the books.  I have yet to make to the end.  I've found some cool books though.

Amara

« Reply #1027 on: August 03, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
And, Sophia, that would be fine. But what would (invariably) happen was that I would offer them one or maybe two. Which ones would they like, and when could they pick them up? Their response: dead silence. If they couldn't have them all they wouldn't take any.

otterwoman

« Reply #1028 on: August 03, 2012, 04:32:41 PM »
And, Sophia, that would be fine. But what would (invariably) happen was that I would offer them one or maybe two. Which ones would they like, and when could they pick them up? Their response: dead silence. If they couldn't have them all they wouldn't take any.

But for me, one or two books isn't worth the gas to go and get them. I would have emailed back and politely declined your offer. But all the books, I would pass them out to all my bookworm friends and they would probably all have new homes. I do that when people offer up clothes also. Last offer got clothes for my MIL, BIL and niece.

Amara

« Reply #1029 on: August 03, 2012, 05:40:18 PM »
Believe me, I understand the gas situation. And I'd be fine with that if they didn't use them as "inventory." I have in fact given a bagful or two (or three) to a Freecycler I know, a teacher, who would share the ones she didn't want with her fellow teachers. At least I knew they weren't getting sold. The thing for me is that I get them for running a book review website. My managing editor and I both have very strong feelings about selling copies sent to us, and I cannot condone it by someone else if their books come through my hands. *shrug*. A bit righteous maybe, but I honor the trust of the publishers who send them to us. That's important to me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:44:00 PM by Amara »

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1030 on: August 03, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »
It's fairly common on our Freecycle for people to post lots of stuff and say "whoever takes it, takes it all and passes along what they don't want." I assume it's so that people don't have to deal with setting up 20 pick up times and chasing down the 11 that didn't show. Of course, if IIRC you had many newer books, in which case I think you're justified in thinking people are taking them to resell.

ETA: Spanked by you.  ;D

Amara

« Reply #1031 on: August 03, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »
 ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1032 on: August 03, 2012, 08:47:52 PM »
It's fairly common on our Freecycle for people to post lots of stuff and say "whoever takes it, takes it all and passes along what they don't want." I assume it's so that people don't have to deal with setting up 20 pick up times and chasing down the 11 that didn't show. Of course, if IIRC you had many newer books, in which case I think you're justified in thinking people are taking them to resell.

ETA: Spanked by you.  ;D

This is what I do - especially for something like books or clothes or computer games where someone else might want some of what I have but probably also has some of their own to give away.  It seems like whenever I split them up, things get complicated.  One person wants books A, B, C, and D, while another person wants B and C.  So Person 1 comes and gets A and D, then Person 2 doesn't show up, then I'm stuck with books B and C when I could have gotten rid of them all in the first place . . . now I just say "Here's what I got; I'd prefer someone take them all and relist the extras" and get one person to pick up everything.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1033 on: August 03, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »
Lately, my local freecycles (I have 3) have been full of broken electronics being offered. Now, this can be a good thing, as some people can make repairs and some can take them apart to recycle. But if you have offered your three broken VCR's more than twice with no takers, then it is a high probability that no one wants them!

CakeBeret

« Reply #1034 on: August 10, 2012, 10:57:59 AM »
I had a strange Craigslist interaction yesterday.

My parents got new cell phones, and I agreed to sell the old phones on Craigslist. One phone was a great texting phone, and I received a call from a lady who was *so excited* to have found our ad. Her daughter had the same exact phone, but it had been stolen, and she was thrilled to find a posting for that phone. After a few back-and-forth calls, we realized that we were going to be at the same shopping center at the same time. She was going to Target, and I was going to Macy's. The stores are literally about 80 feet apart. We agreed to meet in the Macy's parking lot.

We met and completed the transaction.

About an hour later, I get a call from her number. I answer, and she is SCREAMING, "Oh my g*d! I drove ALL THE WAY OUT THERE to buy this phone! And you know what?! One of my daughter's friends GAVE her a phone!"

Befuddled, I responded, "Okay?"

She stopped screaming and said "So I don't need this phone anymore."

I knew where she was going and decided to head her off at the pass. "Well, you can try selling it on Craigslist. Good luck."

"I don't have time for that!" she shouted. "I'm BUSY!"

"I can't help you. Good luck."

"Won't you take it back? Please? I'm BUSY."

I politely declined, at which point she hung up on me. The whole thing was weird, especially her screaming about driving "all that way" to meet me. 80 feet? All that way? REALLY?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:57:51 PM by CakeBeret »
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."