Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 204300 times)

snowfire

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1275 on: April 18, 2014, 12:04:59 AM »
I'll virtually send you the LARGE broken chocolate bunnies I found in the clearance section at Fred Meyer's last weekend.  Ears were broken off.  Bunny foo foos, anyone????  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1276 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »
I never turn down a vitual Bunny Foo Foo - or two, when the plumber's been here twice in two weeks....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

HoneyBee42

« Reply #1277 on: June 28, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »
Bringing this hilarious thread back to life with an ad I have seen posted my my local CraigsList for at least six months now. Can't figure out why no one has stepped up to help this guy out. After all, he's "awesome"!  ::)  And by the way, Montecito is a section of Santa Barbara that is generally quite wealthy. A lot of celebs have second or third homes there.

$1 Seeking a free room (Montecito / SB)

I'm awesome.
That's it.
Truly, though.

I require a parking spot, wifi. Privacy and an awesome attitude.
I prefer my own bathroom.
I have an awesome attitude.
Well, maybe if by awesome he means "will perform all outdoor maintenance, yard work, and clean your house as well as Merry Maids would" ...

HGolightly

« Reply #1278 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:26 AM »
I have been trying to sell my no name electric guitar for a while.  I had one generous purchaser offer me two thousand and twenty dollars for it.  Wow! What an offer!  Here's the catch: I get the $20 in cash and he rest by cheque.

I was denied membership to my local freecycle because I did not post anything for giveaway.  I needed a membership to post......... I found out from a friend that it is a select group of people that run it, trade stuff and don't allow anyone they do not know on it.  Who knew the freecyclers could be cliquey.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1279 on: June 29, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
I was denied membership to my local freecycle because I did not post anything for giveaway.  I needed a membership to post......... I found out from a friend that it is a select group of people that run it, trade stuff and don't allow anyone they do not know on it.  Who knew the freecyclers could be cliquey.

It was our Freecycle's suggestion to post a give before a request.  I sent 2 gives in response to requests; the posters never contacted me. I didn't have an offer, but I knew I would soon. I have talked to others and found the same thing: in general, our Freecycle group was pretty cliquey.

It's been out for about 3 years now. Makes me sad, but I'm not surprised. It was just too much moderated - although the "no pets!" thing I think is very responsible.

laughtermed

« Reply #1280 on: June 30, 2014, 11:23:56 PM »
While giving away a tube TV, I saw a request for broken jewelry. Since I was decluttering, I did have some broken jewelry and costume jewelry. I didn't see any specific use mentioned. I asked the poster if he/she might be an artist. She replied her church was going to repair it to sell and help fund a mission trip. She asked what I had. I replied with the description of my stuff and said I would be happy to mail to her in care of the church's name and address. Indignant, she must have seen the word costume jewelry and said her church would not dream of accepting it.

Oh, well, a druggie couldn't get her fix by fencing it at a pawn shop......

Seraphine1

« Reply #1281 on: July 01, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
I saw one today... someone was asking for a free pair of size 6 Hunter wellies.

Wellies (or Wellington boots, or gum boots, depending on your country) can be purchased at our local supermarket for about 8 - 10.  Hunter Wellies are a very posh, hard wearing yet fashionista type item... they retail for about 80. 

So of course I'd have a pair floating around that I'd be happy to give to someone.  Sure. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #1282 on: July 07, 2014, 01:06:53 PM »
I saw a new one yesterday.  Fortunately, it got caught in moderation, so I deleted it and sent a note back to the owner.

Someone posted a WANTED for 'Donations' to help her finish college.  And she included a link to her gofundme site. 

Yeah, not gonna happen, lady.  Freecycle is NOT a charity and you should have known better. 

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #1283 on: July 07, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »
We have one woman who keeps posting that she needs bricks for a retaining wall and dirt to go behind it.  Oh yea, she doesn't have a car so you will need to deliver it to her . She is an hour drive from the main part of town. 

Miss March

« Reply #1284 on: July 07, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »
I saw someone who always posts looking for Beanie Babies- the same post appears every 10 days. So I thought maybe the poster was trying to get them to give to soldiers, or the police, or for charity groups. I did a quick google of their contact info before I reached out to them, and I am glad I did. The poster is a huge Ebay seller.

I was happy to hand off my old Beanies to a good cause, but not to someone who is going to try and turn a profit off them.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1285 on: July 08, 2014, 03:09:48 AM »
I saw someone who always posts looking for Beanie Babies- the same post appears every 10 days. So I thought maybe the poster was trying to get them to give to soldiers, or the police, or for charity groups. I did a quick google of their contact info before I reached out to them, and I am glad I did. The poster is a huge Ebay seller.

I was happy to hand off my old Beanies to a good cause, but not to someone who is going to try and turn a profit off them.

In the local Freecycle-type groups I'm a member of, that's a huge no-no, and will get you booted. I imagine the repeated requests would make the mods a bit testy, as well.

I'm a bit appalled at some poster's experiences in their groups. In the ones I have joined in my area, there's generally far more offers than requests, and very few really specific ones.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1286 on: July 08, 2014, 01:47:17 PM »
Someone on the local Freecycle list is repeatedly asking for twenty or thirty Beanie Babies, as they are a "teacher" and need them for some kind of school related thing - some kind of awards program where the kids get to pick a prize for attendance, good behavior, or the like.  I have three - that I plan to keep - as they are MY collection (unicorn, Siamese cat, and a white tiger, if I recall correctly - I'm not sure if the white tiger is a Beanie Baby or just that size...).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cattlekid

« Reply #1287 on: July 20, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »
From a local buy/sell Facebook group....

Good Morning To Everyone,
ISO of a pickup truck year 99 - 05. I am looking for a Chevy Colorado, S10, or Silverado 1500. GMC S15 Pickup or Sierra 1500. Considering a Dodge Ram depending. My friend has ask me to help her find a well owned vehicle. She is a country girl a very good friend of the family. She is willing to spend the amount of anywhere from $1800 - $2500 cash. I told her to look on Craigslist, but after 2 months evening with me looking all we seen was JUNK!!! So? If you have or someone you know have a pickup truck for sale send me a friend request lets talk. PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU CONTACT ME. The vehicle must have under a 150,000 miles, a good clean exterior n interior, receipts n maintenance records (the whole history of ownership). NO TRUCKS THAT HAVE BEEN USED FOR PULLING EXTREME HEAVY LOADS, CONTRACTOR OR COMPANY TRUCKS, OR BEEN USED FOR SCRAPING NOT INTERESTED. I will be posting on other groups and checking other resources.

I can see looking for a specific model/year of truck, looking for low-ish mileage, but all of the other stuff and for less than $2500??  Good luck buddy.  I see a lot more searching in your future.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1288 on: July 20, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
I've seen a few of my facebook friends now posting items for sale. One is wanting to sell used sweatshirts at $10 each and the other is selling used electronics. What happened to garage/yard sales or listing things on Craiglist?

cattlekid

« Reply #1289 on: July 20, 2014, 02:19:46 PM »
Are they posting directly as a status update/photo or are they posting to a group?  We have a local buy/sell group (see the post above) and I could see something getting on your timeline if they post to an open group.  Happens to me all the time with cousins of mine who post to an open group in their local area.  Having said that, I should probably check my settings if I start posting to our local buy/sell group.

If they are posting directly as a status update/photo, then yeah, that seems a little off to me. 

I've seen a few of my facebook friends now posting items for sale. One is wanting to sell used sweatshirts at $10 each and the other is selling used electronics. What happened to garage/yard sales or listing things on Craiglist?