Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 192079 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1275 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »
Posted some things to Freecycle (a Yahoo! group) on Monday the last week of March.  Went to post that they were taken later in the week.

That website & list are GONE.  From the Yahoo! website, from my list of groups, and from the search engines...

I had to find another Freecycle list for my area to post the stuff to.  It has a much smaller membership and it has taken several days to get any replies on the listed items.

It is much simpler to post a "Taken" message to, though.  It sends out the email and drops the message off the bulletin board online.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Shalamar

« Reply #1276 on: April 17, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »
I've probably told this story before, but I had a similar tale to the laptop saga when I was trying to sell some brand-new china on Craigslist.  I got an e-mail purportedly from some young fellow who was moving out of province, had therefore closed all of his bank accounts, but he really wanted to buy my "items".  Because, naturally, if you're a young guy moving across the country, the thing you need the most is fragile china.   ::) 

I got the same type of "give me your banking info, and I'll pay you, plus I'll throw in some extra $ for your time" nonsense.  I said "Sorry, cash only", whereupon I got a "What?   Are you afraid I'm trying to scam you?  How DARE you?" type of reply. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1277 on: April 17, 2014, 08:06:43 PM »
I still have the "spare" laptop.  I was offered $75 from a reseller...the same laptop line but one model older (same amount of RAM, lower speed #, and smaller hard drive) was a bit over 3X that price on their shelf, right behind me.

Decided for that amount of money, I'd rather have a spare computer on hand (two story house).  Then VorGuy's Windows 7 laptop died in November 2013 (about two months after the $75 "offer") and he used it while I first tried to get his to work, get a backup made (didn't work very well either), and then transferred what I could recover to a new laptop with Windows 8 on it.

Just tried to use that hard drive for a back up of my laptop - it is one very dead hard drive...not recognized by either of my laptops...

But I don't feel like buying a NEW hard drive & trying to set it up at the moment - I've had one minor crisis after another lately, including two leaks under the kitchen sink.  The plumber came back for a second visit in 13 days this morning.  I'm hoping that there will be an interlude in this drama over Easter.

I could use some chocolate and a weekend where nothing breaks down.

snowfire

« Reply #1278 on: April 18, 2014, 12:04:59 AM »
I'll virtually send you the LARGE broken chocolate bunnies I found in the clearance section at Fred Meyer's last weekend.  Ears were broken off.  Bunny foo foos, anyone????  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1279 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »
I never turn down a vitual Bunny Foo Foo - or two, when the plumber's been here twice in two weeks....

Amara

« Reply #1280 on: June 28, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »
Bringing this hilarious thread back to life with an ad I have seen posted my my local CraigsList for at least six months now. Can't figure out why no one has stepped up to help this guy out. After all, he's "awesome"!  ::)  And by the way, Montecito is a section of Santa Barbara that is generally quite wealthy. A lot of celebs have second or third homes there.

$1 Seeking a free room (Montecito / SB)

I'm awesome.
That's it.
Truly, though.

I require a parking spot, wifi. Privacy and an awesome attitude.
I prefer my own bathroom.
I have an awesome attitude.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #1281 on: June 28, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »
Bringing this hilarious thread back to life with an ad I have seen posted my my local CraigsList for at least six months now. Can't figure out why no one has stepped up to help this guy out. After all, he's "awesome"!  ::)  And by the way, Montecito is a section of Santa Barbara that is generally quite wealthy. A lot of celebs have second or third homes there.

$1 Seeking a free room (Montecito / SB)

I'm awesome.
That's it.
Truly, though.

I require a parking spot, wifi. Privacy and an awesome attitude.
I prefer my own bathroom.
I have an awesome attitude.
Well, maybe if by awesome he means "will perform all outdoor maintenance, yard work, and clean your house as well as Merry Maids would" ...

HGolightly

« Reply #1282 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:26 AM »
I have been trying to sell my no name electric guitar for a while.  I had one generous purchaser offer me two thousand and twenty dollars for it.  Wow! What an offer!  Here's the catch: I get the $20 in cash and he rest by cheque.

I was denied membership to my local freecycle because I did not post anything for giveaway.  I needed a membership to post......... I found out from a friend that it is a select group of people that run it, trade stuff and don't allow anyone they do not know on it.  Who knew the freecyclers could be cliquey.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1283 on: June 29, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
I was denied membership to my local freecycle because I did not post anything for giveaway.  I needed a membership to post......... I found out from a friend that it is a select group of people that run it, trade stuff and don't allow anyone they do not know on it.  Who knew the freecyclers could be cliquey.

It was our Freecycle's suggestion to post a give before a request.  I sent 2 gives in response to requests; the posters never contacted me. I didn't have an offer, but I knew I would soon. I have talked to others and found the same thing: in general, our Freecycle group was pretty cliquey.

It's been out for about 3 years now. Makes me sad, but I'm not surprised. It was just too much moderated - although the "no pets!" thing I think is very responsible.

laughtermed

« Reply #1284 on: June 30, 2014, 11:23:56 PM »
While giving away a tube TV, I saw a request for broken jewelry. Since I was decluttering, I did have some broken jewelry and costume jewelry. I didn't see any specific use mentioned. I asked the poster if he/she might be an artist. She replied her church was going to repair it to sell and help fund a mission trip. She asked what I had. I replied with the description of my stuff and said I would be happy to mail to her in care of the church's name and address. Indignant, she must have seen the word costume jewelry and said her church would not dream of accepting it.

Oh, well, a druggie couldn't get her fix by fencing it at a pawn shop......

Seraphine1

« Reply #1285 on: July 01, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
I saw one today... someone was asking for a free pair of size 6 Hunter wellies.

Wellies (or Wellington boots, or gum boots, depending on your country) can be purchased at our local supermarket for about 8 - 10.  Hunter Wellies are a very posh, hard wearing yet fashionista type item... they retail for about 80. 

So of course I'd have a pair floating around that I'd be happy to give to someone.  Sure. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #1286 on: July 07, 2014, 01:06:53 PM »
I saw a new one yesterday.  Fortunately, it got caught in moderation, so I deleted it and sent a note back to the owner.

Someone posted a WANTED for 'Donations' to help her finish college.  And she included a link to her gofundme site. 

Yeah, not gonna happen, lady.  Freecycle is NOT a charity and you should have known better. 

Amara

« Reply #1287 on: July 07, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
I recently dumped my membership in my local Freecycle group. I found that everyone crowded around me when I was giving books away (and once, a Kindle; I nearly got squashed in the mad rush for that). It seemed that everyone loved my giveaways, but the very few times I asked if anyone had something--always inexpensive and used--no one responded. I got tired of being taken for a fool. So things are either dumped now or go to my favorite thrift store. The rude and greedy can keep Freecycle to themselves.

A shame really because the concept is a good one. But the reality stinks.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #1288 on: July 07, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »
We have one woman who keeps posting that she needs bricks for a retaining wall and dirt to go behind it.  Oh yea, she doesn't have a car so you will need to deliver it to her . She is an hour drive from the main part of town. 

Miss March

« Reply #1289 on: July 07, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »
I saw someone who always posts looking for Beanie Babies- the same post appears every 10 days. So I thought maybe the poster was trying to get them to give to soldiers, or the police, or for charity groups. I did a quick google of their contact info before I reached out to them, and I am glad I did. The poster is a huge Ebay seller.

I was happy to hand off my old Beanies to a good cause, but not to someone who is going to try and turn a profit off them.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo