Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 203346 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1290 on: July 20, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
Directly as a status update.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1291 on: July 20, 2014, 06:46:32 PM »
I've seen people do it with stuff that a lot of their friends might be interested in.  In my case, that means baby items and homeschool stuff.  :)  But I could see, if you had met a lot of your friends through comics/anime and you had a series you'd decided to get rid of, posting it on your FB status.  If the sweatshirts were just regular sweatshirts, though, it sounds a bit weird.  Same with the electronics.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1292 on: July 20, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »
Regular sweatshirts, two different brands/logos. An old iPod touch for the electronic.

I also eye roll over the second person's posts since she posted for tea pots and services to be lent/given to her for a party. I told her I would lend her my silver tea set, but she replied she was going to glue all the pieces together for artistic centerpieces. That was it for me. I know not to lend her anything unless I don't care about it.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1293 on: July 20, 2014, 08:34:55 PM »
Regular sweatshirts, two different brands/logos. An old iPod touch for the electronic.

I also eye roll over the second person's posts since she posted for tea pots and services to be lent/given to her for a party. I told her I would lend her my silver tea set, but she replied she was going to glue all the pieces together for artistic centerpieces. That was it for me. I know not to lend her anything unless I don't care about it.

Once you've glued things together for a centerpiece, you haven't "borrowed" them, you've ruined them.

A friend of mine collects treadle sewing machines.  The antiques with the decals in very good shape are worth more as collector's items than ones that have been sewn on enough to wear the decals off or if they have discolored for some reason.

She was at a flea market (weekend market where buyers rent tables or sell out of the back of a van or pickup) and found a lovely treadle that looked to be in very good shape with the decals....the seller had hot glued artificial vines and flowers to it.  She was moving the leaves aside to check the condition of the decals.

The seller wanted her to stop that because she might ruin the arrangement of the leaves, vine stems, and flowers...then mentioned that she had gutted the workings & tossed them out because they made the "sculpture" heavier.  But wasn't it a pretty poetic comment on old fashioned sewing things???

Friend left the booth immediately, as restoring it to working order would be cost prohibitive with having to rebuild it...and the hot glue was going to ruin the decals - she saw places where the heat from the hot glue had "bubbled" the decals when she moved the leaves aside.

The woman had taken a potentially valuable antique in excellent condition and turned it into a non-working knickknack...

Friend also found a set of the cast iron legs & treadle assembly that someone had fastened to the bottom of a wooden container (large bread trough? small watering trough? window flower holder for potted plants?) to make a plant holder for a porch...it was already rusting...

Friend hated going to markets where people turned sewing machines into oddities.

And never responded to Freecycle or Craigslist requests by people looking for "old sewing machines" to turn into that sort of knickknack - now, if they wanted one to sew with - she had a few garage sale finds that worked, hadn't cost much, and weren't "collector's items" that she was willing to part with for someone  who wanted to learn to sew but couldn't afford a new machine.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:36:40 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

bridalviolet

« Reply #1294 on: July 21, 2014, 01:33:22 PM »

Once you've glued things together for a centerpiece, you haven't "borrowed" them, you've ruined them.

A friend of mine collects treadle sewing machines.  The antiques with the decals in very good shape are worth more as collector's items than ones that have been sewn on enough to wear the decals off or if they have discolored for some reason.

She was at a flea market (weekend market where buyers rent tables or sell out of the back of a van or pickup) and found a lovely treadle that looked to be in very good shape with the decals....the seller had hot glued artificial vines and flowers to it.  She was moving the leaves aside to check the condition of the decals.

The seller wanted her to stop that because she might ruin the arrangement of the leaves, vine stems, and flowers...then mentioned that she had gutted the workings & tossed them out because they made the "sculpture" heavier.  But wasn't it a pretty poetic comment on old fashioned sewing things???

Friend left the booth immediately, as restoring it to working order would be cost prohibitive with having to rebuild it...and the hot glue was going to ruin the decals - she saw places where the heat from the hot glue had "bubbled" the decals when she moved the leaves aside.

The woman had taken a potentially valuable antique in excellent condition and turned it into a non-working knickknack...

Friend also found a set of the cast iron legs & treadle assembly that someone had fastened to the bottom of a wooden container (large bread trough? small watering trough? window flower holder for potted plants?) to make a plant holder for a porch...it was already rusting...

Friend hated going to markets where people turned sewing machines into oddities.

And never responded to Freecycle or Craigslist requests by people looking for "old sewing machines" to turn into that sort of knickknack - now, if they wanted one to sew with - she had a few garage sale finds that worked, hadn't cost much, and weren't "collector's items" that she was willing to part with for someone  who wanted to learn to sew but couldn't afford a new machine.

This reminds me of being at the local library's annual book sale. I love old books from around 1900, and as I was browsing their table of oldies-but-goodies, a woman was flipping through the books and looking at the illustrations. She proceeded to tell me that she bought the old books, cut out and framed the illlustrations (which, admittedly, are frame-worthy) and then THREW THE BOOKS AWAY. It was all I could do not to snatch the books out of her hands and tell her, "You aren't worthy of these wonderful stories!"

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1295 on: July 21, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »

This reminds me of being at the local library's annual book sale. I love old books from around 1900, and as I was browsing their table of oldies-but-goodies, a woman was flipping through the books and looking at the illustrations. She proceeded to tell me that she bought the old books, cut out and framed the illlustrations (which, admittedly, are frame-worthy) and then THREW THE BOOKS AWAY. It was all I could do not to snatch the books out of her hands and tell her, "You aren't worthy of these wonderful stories!"

What do you think happens to those books that aren't sold? They aren't going into some warehouse to see if they are going to be sold next year. I think if someone can get any kind of use for things then good for them - much better then them ending up in a dump someplace. And that is where most of the books, sewing machines and other things will end up. Just because we value certain things doesn't mean the rest of the world does or should.

bridalviolet

« Reply #1296 on: July 22, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »

What do you think happens to those books that aren't sold? They aren't going into some warehouse to see if they are going to be sold next year. I think if someone can get any kind of use for things then good for them - much better then them ending up in a dump someplace. And that is where most of the books, sewing machines and other things will end up. Just because we value certain things doesn't mean the rest of the world does or should.

I know you're right, but oh, it just breaks my heart to see those wonderful books go to waste!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1297 on: July 22, 2014, 03:24:59 PM »

The first person is now listing furniture on her page and getting quite pushy about it, when people don't respond. I've hidden her feed.

padua

« Reply #1298 on: August 07, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »
and there's this:

WANTED: NB baby girl and renovations eqt help (Tenino wa) Taking a chance and posting for a little help don't have much of any income and 8 wks left in my pregnancy having my first baby (girl) and still in need of lots of things such as car seat, stroller, crib, changing table, wanting a breast pump and as for renovation help really need carpet because rite now its a concrete. And wall dividers , and working washer and dryer I'm not trying to sound picky or anything like that anything helps just in need and trying to do the best I can with what I got and will be totally and utterly thankful! Thanks for reading

at least she seems to know she's asking for a lot. but- she's still asking for a lot.

padua

« Reply #1299 on: August 07, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »

(trimmed for book talk)
i agree- with both sentiments. i think it's a bit sad to see books defaced. on the other hand, i've seen some absolutely beautiful book art.

HelenB

« Reply #1300 on: August 07, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
My Inbox this morning - I have a laptop listed on Craigslist:

"hello am  willing to purchase the item urgently,Hope is still in excellent condition,Because i just want to purchase it as a present gift for my sister birthday gift. My form of payment would be via Paypal. you can read on how to signup with paypal at http://www.paypal.com/ and get back to me with your paypal name and email address to send the money once you signup.I am going to Add additional $100 to cover the shipping cost via USPS USPS Registered (express mail)  delivery to my friend place in west africa  .await to hear from you soon"

Signature was last name only, no caps.  I sent a "No, cash only, and I will NOT ship."  I also noted that they didn't tell me what they were interested in using the body of their message - so they could send this same message for a laptop, a game console, a printer, or anything at all that someone might ship to the address after getting a faux receipt from Paypal...

Because I know spam when I see it, but want to give the sender a gentle hint with a clue by two that I'm not falling for their "pitch".  Clue by four would be overkill, because they aren't going to stop TRYING to scam people...just letting them know that I'm not desperate enough to fall for their line of faux offers.

I am so glad that I'd been reading this thread, though we probably wouldn't have fallen for the scam.

We put a piece of furniture on Craig's list, and got a reply almost immediately.  There was someone who thanked us for all the pictures and information about the piece, and said that they wanted to buy it without even seeing it.

But, they would need movers to bring it to them. So, they said that they'd send us a check to cover the cost of the furniture and the cost of the movers, and then we could pay the movers.

Yeah.....no.   Looks like we're going to be donating this one.

amylouky

« Reply #1301 on: September 04, 2014, 05:09:26 PM »
My Inbox this morning - I have a laptop listed on Craigslist:

"hello am  willing to purchase the item urgently,Hope is still in excellent condition,Because i just want to purchase it as a present gift for my sister birthday gift. My form of payment would be via Paypal. you can read on how to signup with paypal at http://www.paypal.com/ and get back to me with your paypal name and email address to send the money once you signup.I am going to Add additional $100 to cover the shipping cost via USPS USPS Registered (express mail)  delivery to my friend place in west africa  .await to hear from you soon"

Signature was last name only, no caps.  I sent a "No, cash only, and I will NOT ship."  I also noted that they didn't tell me what they were interested in using the body of their message - so they could send this same message for a laptop, a game console, a printer, or anything at all that someone might ship to the address after getting a faux receipt from Paypal...

Because I know spam when I see it, but want to give the sender a gentle hint with a clue by two that I'm not falling for their "pitch".  Clue by four would be overkill, because they aren't going to stop TRYING to scam people...just letting them know that I'm not desperate enough to fall for their line of faux offers.

I am so glad that I'd been reading this thread, though we probably wouldn't have fallen for the scam.

We put a piece of furniture on Craig's list, and got a reply almost immediately.  There was someone who thanked us for all the pictures and information about the piece, and said that they wanted to buy it without even seeing it.

But, they would need movers to bring it to them. So, they said that they'd send us a check to cover the cost of the furniture and the cost of the movers, and then we could pay the movers.

Yeah.....no.   Looks like we're going to be donating this one.

That's funny.. we did that once. Only we were the buyers. We bought bunkbeds off of craigslist. There were lots of pictures, and I asked the seller the questions I had. I also said we could pick it up that weekend or if she had a way to deliver, I'd pay her extra. Of course, we didn't send her a check or expect her to pay movers.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1302 on: October 09, 2014, 02:50:23 PM »
Donate for what?  :P
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Phoebelion

« Reply #1303 on: October 10, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »
Have the usual scam of "want your item, will send $ to cover cost of item and shipping".

Replied OK.  Here's my attorney's bank info.  When he receives the wire transfer, I'll contact you to have you arrange pickup.  Tell your shipper they have to pack item.

Never heard from the again.

Of course, bank info to wire $ to was not good.

kategillian

« Reply #1304 on: October 10, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »
Donate for what?  :P
[/quote

Ugh, seriously, for what? What makes people think they deserve something for nothing?