Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 197530 times)

HelenB

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1305 on: August 07, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
My Inbox this morning - I have a laptop listed on Craigslist:

"hello am  willing to purchase the item urgently,Hope is still in excellent condition,Because i just want to purchase it as a present gift for my sister birthday gift. My form of payment would be via Paypal. you can read on how to signup with paypal at http://www.paypal.com/ and get back to me with your paypal name and email address to send the money once you signup.I am going to Add additional $100 to cover the shipping cost via USPS USPS Registered (express mail)  delivery to my friend place in west africa  .await to hear from you soon"

Signature was last name only, no caps.  I sent a "No, cash only, and I will NOT ship."  I also noted that they didn't tell me what they were interested in using the body of their message - so they could send this same message for a laptop, a game console, a printer, or anything at all that someone might ship to the address after getting a faux receipt from Paypal...

Because I know spam when I see it, but want to give the sender a gentle hint with a clue by two that I'm not falling for their "pitch".  Clue by four would be overkill, because they aren't going to stop TRYING to scam people...just letting them know that I'm not desperate enough to fall for their line of faux offers.

I am so glad that I'd been reading this thread, though we probably wouldn't have fallen for the scam.

We put a piece of furniture on Craig's list, and got a reply almost immediately.  There was someone who thanked us for all the pictures and information about the piece, and said that they wanted to buy it without even seeing it.

But, they would need movers to bring it to them. So, they said that they'd send us a check to cover the cost of the furniture and the cost of the movers, and then we could pay the movers.

Yeah.....no.   Looks like we're going to be donating this one.

amylouky

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1306 on: September 04, 2014, 05:09:26 PM »
My Inbox this morning - I have a laptop listed on Craigslist:

"hello am  willing to purchase the item urgently,Hope is still in excellent condition,Because i just want to purchase it as a present gift for my sister birthday gift. My form of payment would be via Paypal. you can read on how to signup with paypal at http://www.paypal.com/ and get back to me with your paypal name and email address to send the money once you signup.I am going to Add additional $100 to cover the shipping cost via USPS USPS Registered (express mail)  delivery to my friend place in west africa  .await to hear from you soon"

Signature was last name only, no caps.  I sent a "No, cash only, and I will NOT ship."  I also noted that they didn't tell me what they were interested in using the body of their message - so they could send this same message for a laptop, a game console, a printer, or anything at all that someone might ship to the address after getting a faux receipt from Paypal...

Because I know spam when I see it, but want to give the sender a gentle hint with a clue by two that I'm not falling for their "pitch".  Clue by four would be overkill, because they aren't going to stop TRYING to scam people...just letting them know that I'm not desperate enough to fall for their line of faux offers.

I am so glad that I'd been reading this thread, though we probably wouldn't have fallen for the scam.

We put a piece of furniture on Craig's list, and got a reply almost immediately.  There was someone who thanked us for all the pictures and information about the piece, and said that they wanted to buy it without even seeing it.

But, they would need movers to bring it to them. So, they said that they'd send us a check to cover the cost of the furniture and the cost of the movers, and then we could pay the movers.

Yeah.....no.   Looks like we're going to be donating this one.

That's funny.. we did that once. Only we were the buyers. We bought bunkbeds off of craigslist. There were lots of pictures, and I asked the seller the questions I had. I also said we could pick it up that weekend or if she had a way to deliver, I'd pay her extra. Of course, we didn't send her a check or expect her to pay movers.