Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 201428 times)

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2010, 03:33:01 AM »
A friend of mine saw a request on Craigslist asking for free air tickets to Orlando for a family of four, because Mom & Dad promised a WDW trip to the kids but now they can't afford it.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2010, 07:29:12 AM »
A friend of mine saw a request on Craigslist asking for free air tickets to Orlando for a family of four, because Mom & Dad promised a WDW trip to the kids but now they can't afford it.

Seriously?  :o

*keels over*
Stewart/Colbert '16

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2010, 07:42:04 AM »

:o :o ::) ::) ??? ???

talk about special snowflakes...

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2010, 08:06:52 AM »
I don't think airline tickets can be given to someone else. Like if you buy tickets but then can't use them...

I think you have to have the persons correct name and address and it must match their address on their photo ID.

So these people want a bunch of strangers to BUY them some airline tickets? Yeah....i don't think it's gonna happen.

(I could totally understand someone giving airline tickets to someone who had a death in the family or similar emergency...but to WDW? NO.)

I think they'd have better luck asking for tickets to WDW. People have to cancel vacations all the time and would rather sell their tickets and take a loss on them than losing the money on them.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

MissRose

« Reply #184 on: May 26, 2010, 06:19:35 AM »

Now that takes a special level of gall to ask for that. 

Can I ask for roundtrip airfare tickets to Ireland next??? ::)  :o  (ooops thats rude and presumptious of me to ask for that even though I want to go back to Ireland in the worst way but can't afford it  :'( )

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
Just saw one for maxi pads.  An unopened pack, but still...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

ghost

« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »
I once saw a request for lingerie.

:-X

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2010, 08:50:54 PM »
Not so much outrageous - but my post clearly stated that the item(s) had to picked up that day or the next day as I would be out of town Sunday and Monday (taking kids to camp & returning by way of my parents' house in case I get a chance to see my brother {hospital after motorcycle accident}).  I thought that I was very clear - pick it up by Saturday or wait until Tuesday.

The first person to ask tells me in her second post (arranging when to pick it up) that she is out of town - can she pick it up Sunday or Monday? 

I am not a happy Freecycler right now.........at least, not with her.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2010, 08:55:01 PM »
Not so much outrageous - but my post clearly stated that the item(s) had to picked up that day or the next day as I would be out of town Sunday and Monday (taking kids to camp & returning by way of my parents' house in case I get a chance to see my brother {hospital after motorcycle accident}).  I thought that I was very clear - pick it up by Saturday or wait until Tuesday.

The first person to ask tells me in her second post (arranging when to pick it up) that she is out of town - can she pick it up Sunday or Monday? 

I am not a happy Freecycler right now.........at least, not with her.

This is why I don't Freecycle anymore unless I respond to a wanted--it's easier to drop it at the Goodwill down the street. I've had people ask me to drop it off, hold it for them for an unspecified amount of time, ask to pick it up during the two hours of the day I've said I can't have pick up, so on and so forth. What I hate more than that is when I offer something to someone because they had a huge sob story about why they needed it and they say "Oh yes, I'd be so grateful," and then never show up.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2010, 08:59:08 PM »
Yeah - I am debating adding the items to a bag for the Salvation Army - although I have a dozen more requests in line behind hers.......

Just easier to deal with. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2010, 10:28:34 PM »
Reading this thread convinced me to sign up for my local freecylcle.

First item listed was a Taken Offer: Prada handbag.

So hey, it can happen.

ica171

« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
I saw a wanted for a toilet seat today. I guess it's possible someone has a spare sitting around, but what are the odds it's a new spare toilet seat? Plus toilet seats are about $5; you'd probably have to spend that much in time and gas to go get one. Just buy a new one. This is one instance where I think it's perfectly fine to let something go to the landfill.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
I saw a wanted for a toilet seat today. I guess it's possible someone has a spare sitting around, but what are the odds it's a new spare toilet seat? Plus toilet seats are about $5; you'd probably have to spend that much in time and gas to go get one. Just buy a new one. This is one instance where I think it's perfectly fine to let something go to the landfill.

That makes me laugh because we did have a spare, brand new toilet seat lying around for about a year.  We wouldn't have given it away, though, we just took our time getting around to installing it ;)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »
Here's one word for word from today's Freecycle:

to all i know a young lady who is due in five weeks she has only justfound out and has nothing for a baby any baby items will help if you canhelp this lady out plz call (mobile phone number) thank you ps we have no car so ifyou do have anything you would like to give we will have to work outsomething to pick up thank you again

I always do a CRIVINS! when I see these...like, how can you not notice you haven't menstruated for the past 8 months? Or no longer fit into you old clothes?

I just checked my local CL...someone on there is asking for a pro bono lawyer to deal with a child custody case....

I joined Freecycle but haven't been on...when I first signed up, I didn't know that e-mail alerts was automatic. I'd set up a new Yahoo account just so I could sign up for Freecycle and two other Yahoo groups, and all the e-mails went there. I didn't check it for months, until I put something up for sale on one of the Yahoo groups. Eeek. I had like 15,000 e-mails...and you can't just "delete all", so I've been individually clicking the message boxes for months now. I'm down to about 6,000... :P
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

ica171

« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »
Here's one word for word from today's Freecycle:

to all i know a young lady who is due in five weeks she has only justfound out and has nothing for a baby any baby items will help if you canhelp this lady out plz call (mobile phone number) thank you ps we have no car so ifyou do have anything you would like to give we will have to work outsomething to pick up thank you again

I always do a CRIVINS! when I see these...like, how can you not notice you haven't menstruated for the past 8 months? Or no longer fit into you old clothes?

I just checked my local CL...someone on there is asking for a pro bono lawyer to deal with a child custody case....

I joined Freecycle but haven't been on...when I first signed up, I didn't know that e-mail alerts was automatic. I'd set up a new Yahoo account just so I could sign up for Freecycle and two other Yahoo groups, and all the e-mails went there. I didn't check it for months, until I put something up for sale on one of the Yahoo groups. Eeek. I had like 15,000 e-mails...and you can't just "delete all", so I've been individually clicking the message boxes for months now. I'm down to about 6,000... :P

Are you using the "new" Yahoo or the "old" Yahoo Mail? In the new version there is a checkbox that will check every email so that they can all be deleted. I don't think there is in the old one.