Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 191712 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »
Slightly OT, but since you brought it up... most of the cases in which women haven't known they were pregnant either seemed to be that the woman wasn't surprised not to be menstruating (she was breastfeeding, or she was older and thought she was in early menopause) or that the woman was in the uncommon but not totally rare situation where she continued to have what are similar to menstrual periods during her pregnancy.  Some women also don't gain a lot of weight, or are somewhat overweight to begin with and don't gain a lot of additional weight, or they're on a medication that they attribute the weight gain to, things like that.

Our Freecycle has been a bit frustrating lately.  First, they have a rule that you can only post a WANTED once a week.  So I posted one, then a while later I posted another, and got a warning from a moderator that I wasn't following the rules for WANTEDs.  So I checked... my posts were 8 days apart.  One on Sunday, one the following Monday.  Couldn't figure out how I violated the rules.  Oh, well.  Then I notice that they've been posting the rules every week, claiming that there have been a lot of violations, etc., and reminding people of the rules.  One of which is to include your location in your offer.  Posts must be moderated before they get posted.  And yet I saw an offer that looked interesting the other day, but it didn't have a location.  So I don't know what's going on with the moderation, but something sure is.

HorseFreak

« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2010, 02:39:04 PM »
Not so much outrageous - but my post clearly stated that the item(s) had to picked up that day or the next day as I would be out of town Sunday and Monday (taking kids to camp & returning by way of my parents' house in case I get a chance to see my brother {hospital after motorcycle accident}).  I thought that I was very clear - pick it up by Saturday or wait until Tuesday.

The first person to ask tells me in her second post (arranging when to pick it up) that she is out of town - can she pick it up Sunday or Monday? 

I am not a happy Freecycler right now.........at least, not with her.

Be careful saying online you'll be out of town- now any interested party can contact you to pick up the item and if you give them the address they know exactly when to rob you. Even without giving your address someone good at googling can locate you fairly easily.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »
Our Freecycle has been a bit frustrating lately.  First, they have a rule that you can only post a WANTED once a week.  So I posted one, then a while later I posted another, and got a warning from a moderator that I wasn't following the rules for WANTEDs.  So I checked... my posts were 8 days apart.  One on Sunday, one the following Monday.  Couldn't figure out how I violated the rules.  Oh, well.  Then I notice that they've been posting the rules every week, claiming that there have been a lot of violations, etc., and reminding people of the rules.  One of which is to include your location in your offer.  Posts must be moderated before they get posted.  And yet I saw an offer that looked interesting the other day, but it didn't have a location.  So I don't know what's going on with the moderation, but something sure is.

We have the same rules and our list is supposedly moderated but I see the same people post mulitple WANTED messages a week and I have seen WANTED and OFFERED messages for items against the rlaw including perscription medciations and alcohol!

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »
I saw a wanted for a toilet seat today. I guess it's possible someone has a spare sitting around, but what are the odds it's a new spare toilet seat? Plus toilet seats are about $5; you'd probably have to spend that much in time and gas to go get one. Just buy a new one. This is one instance where I think it's perfectly fine to let something go to the landfill.

That makes me laugh because we did have a spare, brand new toilet seat lying around for about a year.  We wouldn't have given it away, though, we just took our time getting around to installing it ;)

As did we-- it was a white elephant gift, so it was clear with plastic fish inside it, but still, it was a toilet seat...

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »
I saw a wanted for a toilet seat today. I guess it's possible someone has a spare sitting around, but what are the odds it's a new spare toilet seat? Plus toilet seats are about $5; you'd probably have to spend that much in time and gas to go get one. Just buy a new one. This is one instance where I think it's perfectly fine to let something go to the landfill.

That makes me laugh because we did have a spare, brand new toilet seat lying around for about a year.  We wouldn't have given it away, though, we just took our time getting around to installing it ;)

As did we-- it was a white elephant gift, so it was clear with plastic fish inside it, but still, it was a toilet seat...

I totally would have traded my plain white one for clear with plastic fish!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2010, 09:00:17 PM »
Not so much outrageous - but my post clearly stated that the item(s) had to picked up that day or the next day as I would be out of town Sunday and Monday (taking kids to camp & returning by way of my parents' house in case I get a chance to see my brother {hospital after motorcycle accident}).  I thought that I was very clear - pick it up by Saturday or wait until Tuesday.

The first person to ask tells me in her second post (arranging when to pick it up) that she is out of town - can she pick it up Sunday or Monday? 

I am not a happy Freecycler right now.........at least, not with her.

Be careful saying online you'll be out of town- now any interested party can contact you to pick up the item and if you give them the address they know exactly when to rob you. Even without giving your address someone good at googling can locate you fairly easily.

These items are small enough that I can easily carry the DSL modem in a tote bag or the CPU by myself - I will be passing them to someone in a parking lot.  My cell phone does not have any association to my address.

Been burgled once - not inclined to repeat the experience.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

squeak

• Tossing random "i"'s into words!
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2010, 11:39:06 PM »
Someone today wants their entire house contents donated to them, because they are low income (so they say). TV, entertainment unit, chairs and table, couch set, bedroom set, paintings to make the place cozy, pots & pans, coffee and end tables, lamps... and you have to hold it for them until July because they don't have storage.  ::)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2010, 11:46:56 PM »
Squeak, I think I see posts like that at least a few times a month. It seems like 90% of the time there's been a fire or the person has left an abusive spouse, which I guess is possible but you start to get numb to it after a while.

Here's a question--do you guys consider it snowflakey if someone asks for decor items with a specific theme? Not just "I need a rug to cover a dirty carpet" but "I need a rug to cover a dirty carpet and I'd really prefer a modern pattern in blue and brown colors, at least 5x7 although 8x10 would be better." The people who ask for stuff like this usually say "I thought I'd give this a shot," so they know it's pretty specific for the group, and I can understand thinking maybe someone has redecorated and still has their old rug sitting around somewhere. Personally I don't mind it as long as there's not a sob story with it.

Tosha Go

• lurker
« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2010, 09:53:43 PM »
saw a strange one on kijiji today - woman expecting baby in a few months time posts add looking for baby items (nothing specific, just whatever baby stuff can been donated to her)

Weird thing about the add - it is in the 'top ads' section, meaning she's spending $10 a week to have this add located at the top of the list.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »
saw a strange one on kijiji today - woman expecting baby in a few months time posts add looking for baby items (nothing specific, just whatever baby stuff can been donated to her)

Weird thing about the add - it is in the 'top ads' section, meaning she's spending $10 a week to have this add located at the top of the list.

So she could take the $10/week and use that towards some baby clothes and gear. No, you wouldn't be able to buy much, but you could still get some Onsies and a couple of packages of diapers.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2010, 11:17:15 PM »

So she could take the $10/week and use that towards some baby clothes and gear. No, you wouldn't be able to buy much, but you could still get some Onsies and a couple of packages of diapers.

ginlyn

$40 a month is two jumbo boxes of diapers, more if you buy generic--nothing to sneeze at. I always break things down into the price of diapers when people say "It's only $X!" "Yes, but that's a box of diapers, I can make that last for two weeks."

norrina

« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »
Just saw one for maxi pads.  An unopened pack, but still...

I noticed at the thrift store (so not free, but I hope you'll bear with my digression) a bag of three half-used rolls of TP.

magicdomino

« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
Just saw one for maxi pads.  An unopened pack, but still...

I noticed at the thrift store (so not free, but I hope you'll bear with my digression) a bag of three half-used rolls of TP.

Okay, I gotta ask, how much was the store charging?  I would think it would be more cost-effective to keep them for the employees' bathroom.

As for the original donation, it could of been someone like my mother, who flatly refused to throw away anything that could possibly be used for something.  Those rolls still had good toilet paper on them!   ::)

Tosha Go

• lurker
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »

ginlyn

exactly...or better yet, bought some stuff other people on kijiji are selling and in turn help them out.
I bought a jolly jumper for $25, a bumbo for $40 to name a few.

Bethczar

« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2010, 01:12:08 AM »
And now for today's request (wanted section):  EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stripper Pole Rental - $75 (DMV)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-05-18, 9:25PM EDT
Reply to: (removed to protect poster)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pole rentals for a couple or a bunch of friends. Contact via email for more info

I just finished taking a pole-dancing class. I would love be able to practice (& show DH my moves), but a pole costs about $350. I would totally consider renting one if it were available.