Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 206434 times)

norrina

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2010, 12:38:21 AM »
Just saw one for maxi pads.  An unopened pack, but still...

I noticed at the thrift store (so not free, but I hope you'll bear with my digression) a bag of three half-used rolls of TP.

Okay, I gotta ask, how much was the store charging?  I would think it would be more cost-effective to keep them for the employees' bathroom.

As for the original donation, it could of been someone like my mother, who flatly refused to throw away anything that could possibly be used for something.  Those rolls still had good toilet paper on them!    ::)

$0.69! So, you know, that really is quite a bargain for someone on a budget. And you know, your mother would have been right, there WAS still good TP on those rolls; which is why I couldn't understand why the original owner of the rolls didn't finish using it themselves.

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #211 on: June 30, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »
Okay, I gotta ask, how much was the store charging?  I would think it would be more cost-effective to keep them for the employees' bathroom.

As for the original donation, it could of been someone like my mother, who flatly refused to throw away anything that could possibly be used for something.  Those rolls still had good toilet paper on them!    ::)

$0.69! So, you know, that really is quite a bargain for someone on a budget. And you know, your mother would have been right, there WAS still good TP on those rolls; which is why I couldn't understand why the original owner of the rolls didn't finish using it themselves.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they were donated by someone that was not thinking clearly after a loved one died, and they had to clean out their house or apartment? The bag got mixed into the pile of stuff to donate instead of the stuff to take home by mistake.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

magicdomino

« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2010, 10:28:17 AM »

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they were donated by someone that was not thinking clearly after a loved one died, and they had to clean out their house or apartment? The bag got mixed into the pile of stuff to donate instead of the stuff to take home by mistake.

Or they were moving, and didn't want to ship 3 half-rolls of toilet paper across the country.

rhirhi

« Reply #213 on: June 30, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »

Or they were moving, and didn't want to ship 3 half-rolls of toilet paper across the country.

I am not sure it is so much that they were donated, but that the thrift store saw fit to sell them, know what I mean?

alegria

« Reply #214 on: July 03, 2010, 12:31:23 PM »
I am gobsmacked.   :o ::) >:(

A woman who is CONSTANTLY posting asking for clothes, for towels, for furniture, for toys, for EVERYTHING has just topped herself.  She posted asking for a "long-haired kitten."  I am utterly incensed that this request made it through the moderators, and the fact that it is someone who apparently can't provide for her family on her own makes it that much worse.  So far I've throttled the urge to email her directly and express this, but I have asked for the moderators' email address so I can bring up my concerns with them.

ARGH. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #215 on: July 03, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »
My husband just bought a house and is busy cleaning/renovating it.  In the bathroom under-sink cabinet, he found about 15 rolls of toilet paper, anywhere from half-used to almost-gone.  It was very weird.  We couldn't come up with any explanation for why somebody would not use the last 1/2 or 1/3 or whatever of every toilet paper roll.

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #216 on: July 03, 2010, 05:08:17 PM »
My husband just bought a house and is busy cleaning/renovating it.  In the bathroom under-sink cabinet, he found about 15 rolls of toilet paper, anywhere from half-used to almost-gone.  It was very weird.  We couldn't come up with any explanation for why somebody would not use the last 1/2 or 1/3 or whatever of every toilet paper roll.

I wonder if the former owners were tp-stealers?  I have always wondered why public places lock rolls of toilet paper on the holders, because really, who would take toilet paper?

FunkyMunky

« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2010, 05:41:41 AM »

I wonder if the former owners were tp-stealers?  I have always wondered why public places lock rolls of toilet paper on the holders, because really, who would take toilet paper?

I have seen several tp thefts (by adults), including two repeat offenders. I admit, I was also guilty of it once because we poor broke students ran out, so I sent someone to steal a roll from KFC.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »

I have seen several tp thefts (by adults), including two repeat offenders. I admit, I was also guilty of it once because we poor broke students ran out, so I sent someone to steal a roll from KFC.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a college student anywhere who has never stolen a roll of TP from somewhere  :D

bookworm317

• Proud child of the 80's
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure there isn't a college student anywhere who has never stolen a roll of TP from somewhere  :D

I've never stolen toilet paper, but I HAVE stolen napkins from Chik-fil-A.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #220 on: July 04, 2010, 05:27:29 PM »
Not quite on topic, but in our local supermarket there is a section for small ads- you know the sorth of thing, used fridge 50 and so on.

Someone has posted an ad asking for a Warhammer Space Hulk game. No indication of what he was willing to pay, but it was a limited edition and they fetch well into three figures on Ebay...
NE England

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #221 on: July 04, 2010, 05:34:44 PM »
well you can't blame them for trying
who knows there might be someone out there that doesn't know what they are worth

I picked up an Advanced Heroquest at the Goodwill store for 50 CENTS. (they sold new for $50.00 and are way up there on e-bay as well)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »
I am gobsmacked.   :o ::) >:(

A woman who is CONSTANTLY posting asking for clothes, for towels, for furniture, for toys, for EVERYTHING has just topped herself.  She posted asking for a "long-haired kitten."  I am utterly incensed that this request made it through the moderators, and the fact that it is someone who apparently can't provide for her family on her own makes it that much worse.  So far I've throttled the urge to email her directly and express this, but I have asked for the moderators' email address so I can bring up my concerns with them.

ARGH. 

Again, Freecycle is about recycling, not charity. I often post requests for things that I intend to go out and buy if I get no response. It's okay to post wanted ads for things, even when you can afford them.

Although, if this person always posts a sob story to go along with the requests, disregard what I just said.

AprilRenee

« Reply #223 on: July 05, 2010, 09:17:13 AM »
I saw a wanted a while back on freecycle for a 1969 corvette (or something similar. can't remember exactly) must be running and in good condition.

Dude-those are collectors items!

mikeylou

« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »
On my Freecycle list yesterday

WANTED: Gold Prospecting Equipment

It's so odd it just brings images of men panning streams in gold rush fashion and I just giggle.

I'm sure it's probably going to be used for some sort of educational purpose.  I hope.  I dunno why else someone would want some.