News:

• February 22, 2018, 03:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 395150 times)

FauxFoodist

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #930 on: June 04, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
This one gave me pause from Freecycle:

WANTED "Small frig and microwave"

I wondered if the poster knew for what she was asking...

When I was in college each dorm room had what they called a "microfridge" which was a microwave attached to a small fridge. I am guessing that is what she is looking for.

Frig is euphamism  for adult activities >:D

Correctamundo (solo female activity in my corner of the world).

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #931 on: June 04, 2012, 11:21:54 PM »
Magic cards are worth money already, even the older ones.  I can see someone not knowing that and assuming they're trash, but any random assortment of cards will have some worth $10 and up just for a single card!

IME five year old Magic cards aren't likely to be worth much. DH has some dating from the late '90s up through today and the most we've ever gotten was (I think) $20 for a card out of the current set. And that was not the norm; most cards are worth from 1-50 cents. Now if you have cards from the early '90s, get thee to eBay ASAP. Some of those are worth hundreds, if not thousands.

Reminds me of the time I was looking for MTG cards on craigslist for my ex for his birthday, and saw someone looking to get a black lotus card... for free...  ::)

At best, I have some Unlimited cards from some old Middle School friends of mine.  Back when Unlimited wasn't that old.  I'm old. :)

Of course, I once gave a Circle of Protection: White to a friend for her birthday.  This was with a manga omnibus she loved, so it was not my sole gift.

My BF looked shocked, though.  I asked afterwards, and I accidentally picked up a Beta copy at the local gaming store. :P Whoops!  He's since pulled my luck into finding other cards, at least. :)

---

On a less geeky topic.  I've been apart of the local Freecycle group, and they're an aversion to a lot of the stories.  The mods are ontop of things, good at enforcing the rules, and often we get offers for kittens and puppies (and everything wonderful), and the wants not too wanty. :)

So, no stories here. :)

ETA: After posting, remember someone offering a handmade leather engraving of Jesus; 19 by 16 inches.  A little odd, but appropriately rednecky.  :P Someone did pick it up. :)

ETA 2: So much for no stories.  I searched for Leather Jesus in my email (phrases I thought I'd never type), and there was an earlier post of an even larger Jesus engraving; 2 and a half feet by 1 and a half feet.  That makes me grin. :)

Here's the offers:

[***freecycle] OFFERED: HANDMADE JESUS PICTURE

Handmade picture of Jesus that is made out of leather, measures 19 inches tall and 16 inches wide....PROMPT PICK UP REQUIRED!!!

[***freecycle] Offered: Leather Jesus picture

This is a thick piece of leather about 2 ft by 1 1/2 ft with Jesus sculped out of it and painted. Its mounted on a board. It did get wet on one of the corners about 2 1/2". Still quite interesting.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:28:29 PM by Kaora »

alegria

« Reply #932 on: June 04, 2012, 11:32:43 PM »
ETA: After posting, remember someone offering a handmade leather engraving of Jesus; 19 by 16 inches.  A little odd, but appropriately rednecky.  :P Someone did pick it up. :)

ETA 2: So much for no stories.  I searched for Leather Jesus in my email (phrases I thought I'd never type), and there was an earlier post of an even larger Jesus engraving; 2 and a half feet by 1 and a half feet.  That makes me grin. :)

Here's the offers:

Handmade picture of Jesus that is made out of leather, measures 19 inches tall and 16 inches wide....PROMPT PICK UP REQUIRED!!!

This is a thick piece of leather about 2 ft by 1 1/2 ft with Jesus sculped out of it and painted. Its mounted on a board. It did get wet on one of the corners about 2 1/2". Still quite interesting.

I bet those are the same carved leather Jesus.  I could totally see estimating 19x16 as 24x18.... :)

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #933 on: June 04, 2012, 11:34:39 PM »

Here's the offers:

I bet those are the same carved leather Jesus.  I could totally see estimating 19x16 as 24x18.... :)

It's a grow-a-Jesus!  Like those little dinosaurs you can get and put them in water and they expand to 300x their original size . . . I guess if you get this leather carved Jesus wet, he gets bigger!

mikeylou

« Reply #934 on: June 07, 2012, 06:45:11 AM »
Saw a new one the other day!   Someone on a local Freecycle group posted a WANTED for 'Junk Land - for fishing or camping purposes'.

Oh, he tried...  And then he debated the rules and why he felt his request was acceptable.   "I don't need you to limit me nor my potential here :)".

alkira6

« Reply #935 on: June 07, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »
Saw a new one the other day!   Someone on a local Freecycle group posted a WANTED for 'Junk Land - for fishing or camping purposes'.

Oh, he tried...  And then he debated the rules and why he felt his request was acceptable.   "I don't need you to limit me nor my potential here :)".

Oddly enough, I did see a freecycle post a few years ago that this guy would have liked. Roughly it said "Free trailer/mobile home. Okay condition. Must take land as well and trailer."

I don't know about the land, but this was posted a couple a times before there was a firm taker.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #936 on: June 07, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »

Oddly enough, I did see a freecycle post a few years ago that this guy would have liked. Roughly it said "Free trailer/mobile home. Okay condition. Must take land as well and trailer."

I don't know about the land, but this was posted a couple a times before there was a firm taker.

I would be all over that if the land was enough to build on. It's getting impossible to find land around here that's not a $40,000 1/4 acre lot in a subdivision or a 300 acre farm.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #937 on: June 07, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »

I would be all over that if the land was enough to build on. It's getting impossible to find land around here that's not a $40,000 1/4 acre lot in a subdivision or a 300 acre farm.

I'd still be wary - environmental cleanup can be expensive!  I worked with Habitat for Humanity in my hometown for a while, and they had gotten stuck with a property which had a hidden gas tank on it.  (The kind gas stations have buried underground).  They were legally required to pay for the environmental cleanup, which cost more than the property was worth.  In that case I think the donor didn't know for sure there was a problem, but he had to have suspected!  I think it was extremely low of him to give a "donation" to a non-profit who then had to spend money to just stay in legal compliance.  If I saw someone offering up a plot of land for free, I would wonder whether there was some huge hidden cost . . .

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #938 on: June 07, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »

I'd still be wary - environmental cleanup can be expensive!  I worked with Habitat for Humanity in my hometown for a while, and they had gotten stuck with a property which had a hidden gas tank on it.  (The kind gas stations have buried underground).  They were legally required to pay for the environmental cleanup, which cost more than the property was worth.  In that case I think the donor didn't know for sure there was a problem, but he had to have suspected!  I think it was extremely low of him to give a "donation" to a non-profit who then had to spend money to just stay in legal compliance.  If I saw someone offering up a plot of land for free, I would wonder whether there was some huge hidden cost . . .

Yeah - I just can't see someone giving away land that doesn't have something wrong with it. Must Take usually means that it's something most people don't want but you need to take it to get to the goodies you do want. I would be really suspicious.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #939 on: June 07, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »

Yeah - I just can't see someone giving away land that doesn't have something wrong with it. Must Take usually means that it's something most people don't want but you need to take it to get to the goodies you do want. I would be really suspicious.

Oh, I know. I would include that all in the "being able to build on" clause. It would also need to have or be able to have utilities run to it, and be reasonably flat. That's another thing that happens a lot around here--you'll find a one acre lot, but 3/4 of it will be a 40 degree heavily wooded slope.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #940 on: June 07, 2012, 01:23:16 PM »

Oh, I know. I would include that all in the "being able to build on" clause. It would also need to have or be able to have utilities run to it, and be reasonably flat. That's another thing that happens a lot around here--you'll find a one acre lot, but 3/4 of it will be a 40 degree heavily wooded slope.

The more I hear about this, the more I think of the Swamp King from Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #941 on: June 07, 2012, 07:06:56 PM »

Here's the offers:

It's a grow-a-Jesus!  Like those little dinosaurs you can get and put them in water and they expand to 300x their original size . . . I guess if you get this leather carved Jesus wet, he gets bigger!

Giggling like a loon now, thank you! :P

One more, in that someone is offering a treehouse.  Wonder how that's going to work. ??? Unless I'm missing something obvious. :P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:08:58 PM by Kaora »

norrina

« Reply #942 on: June 10, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
There was nothing particularly weird or outrageous about this CL request, but it still gave me a chuckle. Someone was looking for a "Chester Drawyer". Out of curiosity, I opened the ad, to see if she described what type of dresser a "Chester" was. However, as I read the ad, I got the impression that the poster was looking for any inexpensive dresser. Why is she asking specifically for a Chester drawer, I asked myself, when she really just wants any old chest of drawers ... And there I finally had my a ha moment, Chester = chest of, phonetically.

Amara

« Reply #943 on: June 10, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »
Oh yes, CL and FC are rift with nonsensical grammar and spellings. Sometimes it amuses me, more often it makes me want to weep. (I'm an editor.)

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #944 on: June 10, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »
e-bay too.
I've gotten some great deals on there by searching in reverse.  Meaning with one word to search for and then -"second_word" and -"third word".  I'd find listing where an important word in the title is misspelled and I'd be one of the few to find it.