News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 10:52:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 359686 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #945 on: June 11, 2012, 08:50:50 PM »
There was nothing particularly weird or outrageous about this CL request, but it still gave me a chuckle. Someone was looking for a "Chester Drawyer". Out of curiosity, I opened the ad, to see if she described what type of dresser a "Chester" was. However, as I read the ad, I got the impression that the poster was looking for any inexpensive dresser. Why is she asking specifically for a Chester drawer, I asked myself, when she really just wants any old chest of drawers ... And there I finally had my a ha moment, Chester = chest of, phonetically.

Giggle!  I like that one.   That's the kind of thing that would really confuse me too - why a Chester drawer specifically? What exactly is a Chester drawer?  And it would take me awhile before I said it out loud and clicked. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #946 on: June 12, 2012, 01:44:30 PM »
There was nothing particularly weird or outrageous about this CL request, but it still gave me a chuckle. Someone was looking for a "Chester Drawyer". Out of curiosity, I opened the ad, to see if she described what type of dresser a "Chester" was. However, as I read the ad, I got the impression that the poster was looking for any inexpensive dresser. Why is she asking specifically for a Chester drawer, I asked myself, when she really just wants any old chest of drawers ... And there I finally had my a ha moment, Chester = chest of, phonetically.

Giggle!  I like that one.   That's the kind of thing that would really confuse me too - why a Chester drawer specifically? What exactly is a Chester drawer?  And it would take me awhile before I said it out loud and clicked.

I think I posted about this earlier in the thread, but there was a bit of an uproar in my Freecycle group last year. Someone had let their child or grandchild (I forget which) post asking for a chest of drawers and they posted "chester drawers." The person then got several rude emails about the wrong name. She got on Freecycle and put up an angry post about people sending mean emails to her child/grandchild. Nothing was ever mentioned about it again, so I don't know if the mods got involved or not. I don't understand why anyone would feel the need to email someone that they've spelled something incorrectly or misunderstood a word unless it made the post unreadable. Obviously if they could understand it enough to email the poster about putting down the wrong thing they could understand it enough to know what the item was.

jaxsue

« Reply #947 on: June 12, 2012, 02:18:11 PM »
Oh yes, CL and FC are rift with nonsensical grammar and spellings. Sometimes it amuses me, more often it makes me want to weep. (I'm an editor.)

I'm an editor, too, and go through the same emotions.  :'(

carol1412

« Reply #948 on: June 12, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »
e-bay too.
I've gotten some great deals on there by searching in reverse.  Meaning with one word to search for and then -"second_word" and -"third word".  I'd find listing where an important word in the title is misspelled and I'd be one of the few to find it.
I got the most gorgeous black blazer on ebay for less than $20USD because it was spelled "kashmire" instead of "cashmere".

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #949 on: June 12, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »
I wonder if there's a website somewhere with a list of common misspellings of words....
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Sensei Otousan

« Reply #950 on: June 12, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
I wonder if there's a website somewhere with a list of common misspellings of words....

http://crazyamy.hubpages.com/hub/Common-Misspellings---commonly-misspelt-words

I hope this helps.  ;)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Luci

« Reply #951 on: June 12, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
Oh yes, CL and FC are rift with nonsensical grammar and spellings. Sometimes it amuses me, more often it makes me want to weep. (I'm an editor.)

Did Amara to that on purpose?   :)

(I shudder when I go back to reread some of my postings!)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #952 on: June 12, 2012, 05:01:17 PM »
Not Craigslist or Freecycle - but a "new" website called Ubokia.com.

Several people asking about "relatively new laptops" or "about a year old laptop" with "lots of RAM" and webcams - and they are offering the sum of $100 USA or less.  Um - check any of the three websites and you'll see relatively new laptops (some with webcams) offered for sale - but usually at a price starting closer to twice (or even three) times what the person is offering.

I got offered $2.99 for one I had for sale last month.  Which was about 1% of the cheapest NEW one I'd seen in the local newspaper ads or 15% of my asking price.  Did not sell it to the woman in New Jersey - she did raise her offer - but 80% of the asking price with the "extras" thrown in for free wasn't appealing to me, as a seller, either.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Amara

« Reply #953 on: June 12, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »

Did Amara to that on purpose?   :)

(I shudder when I go back to reread some of my postings!)

Oh, oh, oh. I am completely embarrassed. All I can do is plead "brain drain," the same thing that caused me to (1) lock myself out of my car at a place on a semi-busy street where no car should have been parked with my laptop, Filofax, and cell phone clearly in view, and (b) a day later, rush off to Kinko's to send someone a document, efficiently complete my task, then come home to a phone message telling me I sent the wrong document.

Please forgive me, CMOS.

And now, for your further entertainment, a post on my FC recently that started by her assuring everyone it wasn't an ad for "some bogus scam." (I have no idea if anyone gave her the wanted item.)

I am a life-long resident of [city], and like many of us, my family has struggled through the economic recession. Two years ago I lost my small business. I counted 17 other businesses that also closed
during that time.

It is so sad to see what is going on in our 'Land of the Free' . My family experienced homelessness for a while, but we are now secure in a nice apartment with the aid of HUD who assist us with our monthly rent. However, in order to come up with my security deposit, I sold my little truck, a sacrifice that has left me carless.

I am very resourceful and found a website that offers people in similar situations free cars; cars that come from donations from the public. So, in order for me to get one of the free cars, someone in town needs to donate their car to the organization. Once that happens, I get the call and become the proud owner of your donated vehicle. It seems to be a win-win situation.

So, this post is my way of reaching out to [city] residents who are considering donating their vehicles to a good cause...there are at least a dozen potential recipients for cars who are from [city].

Thanks for considering my request. The website where I signed up is: www dot free/charity/cars dot org <http://_______> . My profile is (name)

Here's the information about the organization: ............... [More than two paragraphs obviously taken from their website.)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:34:53 PM by Amara »

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #954 on: June 12, 2012, 07:13:13 PM »
Recently I posted my Wii plus a bundle of stuff for sale on kijiji/Craigslist/FB marketplace.  The bundle consisted of the Wii console itself, one Wiimote with nunchuck, a Wii Fit balance board, Wii Sports, Trivial Pursuit game, Rayman's Raving Rabbids game (still brand spankin' new in the plastic!) and Wii Fit Plus game, along with all necessary cables, stands, sensors and manuals.  The Wii Fit balance board is even still in its original box.  Everything is in like-new condition.  I got it all figuring it would be fun, and while it is, I just don't play it much.  It's been all boxed up since I moved out of my apartment and into my home over a year ago, so obviously I don't use it much.  I  posted all that stuff for $150CAD.  A heck of a deal when you consider the balance board alone retails for $100.

The first offer I got was for $50.  Apparently any more than that was a "ripoff".
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #955 on: June 12, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
Recently I posted my Wii plus a bundle of stuff for sale on kijiji/Craigslist/FB marketplace.  The bundle consisted of the Wii console itself, one Wiimote with nunchuck, a Wii Fit balance board, Wii Sports, Trivial Pursuit game, Rayman's Raving Rabbids game (still brand spankin' new in the plastic!) and Wii Fit Plus game, along with all necessary cables, stands, sensors and manuals.  The Wii Fit balance board is even still in its original box.  Everything is in like-new condition.  I got it all figuring it would be fun, and while it is, I just don't play it much.  It's been all boxed up since I moved out of my apartment and into my home over a year ago, so obviously I don't use it much.  I  posted all that stuff for $150CAD.  A heck of a deal when you consider the balance board alone retails for $100.

The first offer I got was for $50.  Apparently any more than that was a "ripoff".

That's a great deal!

Fifty seems almost insulting.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #956 on: June 12, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »

And now, for your further entertainment, a post on my FC recently that started by her assuring everyone it wasn't an ad for "some bogus scam." (I have no idea if anyone gave her the wanted item.)

I am a life-long resident of [city], and like many of us, my family has struggled through the economic recession. Two years ago I lost my small business. I counted 17 other businesses that also closed
during that time.

It is so sad to see what is going on in our 'Land of the Free' . My family experienced homelessness for a while, but we are now secure in a nice apartment with the aid of HUD who assist us with our monthly rent. However, in order to come up with my security deposit, I sold my little truck, a sacrifice that has left me carless.

I am very resourceful and found a website that offers people in similar situations free cars; cars that come from donations from the public. So, in order for me to get one of the free cars, someone in town needs to donate their car to the organization. Once that happens, I get the call and become the proud owner of your donated vehicle. It seems to be a win-win situation.

So, this post is my way of reaching out to [city] residents who are considering donating their vehicles to a good cause...there are at least a dozen potential recipients for cars who are from [city].

Thanks for considering my request. The website where I signed up is: www dot free/charity/cars dot org <http://_______> . My profile is (name)

Here's the information about the organization: ............... [More than two paragraphs obviously taken from their website.)

On our FC, that either wouldn't have made it through or it would have shown up as "[Unnecessary information removed] Wanted: car"  ;D

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #957 on: June 13, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »

O/T, but while in between careers, I worked at a cellular 411 call center. I could not understand what half the people were saying, as we, in Orlando, were supplying this information service to people all over the NW, Mid-Atlantic, PR, and the Philippines. My favorites were the people asking for "Country Inn & Suits" and soforth, phone scrabble, or a specific business on a street but would not give me the town or state. Some were patient, but most were very rude if you didn't immediately connect them with who they wanted even if they didn't have or give enough information. I was so glad when I got this job and could get out of there!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Nuala

« Reply #958 on: June 13, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
My favorites were the people asking for "Country Inn & Suits" and soforth.

Ugh.  This is probably better for the brain-hurt thread, but I do dislike the mispronunciation of "suite" as "sewt" instead of "sweet."  I was tempted to ask someone if the Nutcracker Sewt was her favorite bah-lett, but I refrained.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #959 on: June 13, 2012, 02:25:08 PM »
My favorites were the people asking for "Country Inn & Suits" and soforth.

Ugh.  This is probably better for the brain-hurt thread, but I do dislike the mispronunciation of "suite" as "sewt" instead of "sweet."  I was tempted to ask someone if the Nutcracker Sewt was her favorite bah-lett, but I refrained.

My brain rattled so much when I worked there.

On topic: I have a 27" flat screen tube tv that works perfectly to post, do you think anyone would want it?
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien