Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 198424 times)

Sensei Otousan

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #960 on: June 12, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
I wonder if there's a website somewhere with a list of common misspellings of words....

http://crazyamy.hubpages.com/hub/Common-Misspellings---commonly-misspelt-words

I hope this helps.  ;)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #961 on: June 12, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
Oh yes, CL and FC are rift with nonsensical grammar and spellings. Sometimes it amuses me, more often it makes me want to weep. (I'm an editor.)

I'm an editor, too, and go through the same emotions.  :'(
Did Amara to that on purpose?   :)

(I shudder when I go back to reread some of my postings!)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #962 on: June 12, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
Not Craigslist or Freecycle - but a "new" website called Ubokia.com.

Several people asking about "relatively new laptops" or "about a year old laptop" with "lots of RAM" and webcams - and they are offering the sum of $100 USA or less.  Um - check any of the three websites and you'll see relatively new laptops (some with webcams) offered for sale - but usually at a price starting closer to twice (or even three) times what the person is offering.

I got offered $2.99 for one I had for sale last month.  Which was about 1% of the cheapest NEW one I'd seen in the local newspaper ads or 15% of my asking price.  Did not sell it to the woman in New Jersey - she did raise her offer - but 80% of the asking price with the "extras" thrown in for free wasn't appealing to me, as a seller, either.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amara

« Reply #963 on: June 12, 2012, 07:26:53 PM »
Oh yes, CL and FC are rift with nonsensical grammar and spellings. Sometimes it amuses me, more often it makes me want to weep. (I'm an editor.)

I'm an editor, too, and go through the same emotions.  :'(
Did Amara to that on purpose?   :)

(I shudder when I go back to reread some of my postings!)

Oh, oh, oh. I am completely embarrassed. All I can do is plead "brain drain," the same thing that caused me to (1) lock myself out of my car at a place on a semi-busy street where no car should have been parked with my laptop, Filofax, and cell phone clearly in view, and (b) a day later, rush off to Kinko's to send someone a document, efficiently complete my task, then come home to a phone message telling me I sent the wrong document.

Please forgive me, CMOS.

And now, for your further entertainment, a post on my FC recently that started by her assuring everyone it wasn't an ad for "some bogus scam." (I have no idea if anyone gave her the wanted item.)

I am a life-long resident of [city], and like many of us, my family has struggled through the economic recession. Two years ago I lost my small business. I counted 17 other businesses that also closed
during that time.

It is so sad to see what is going on in our 'Land of the Free' . My family experienced homelessness for a while, but we are now secure in a nice apartment with the aid of HUD who assist us with our monthly rent. However, in order to come up with my security deposit, I sold my little truck, a sacrifice that has left me carless.

I am very resourceful and found a website that offers people in similar situations free cars; cars that come from donations from the public. So, in order for me to get one of the free cars, someone in town needs to donate their car to the organization. Once that happens, I get the call and become the proud owner of your donated vehicle. It seems to be a win-win situation.

So, this post is my way of reaching out to [city] residents who are considering donating their vehicles to a good cause...there are at least a dozen potential recipients for cars who are from [city].

Thanks for considering my request. The website where I signed up is: www dot free/charity/cars dot org <http://_______> . My profile is (name)

Here's the information about the organization: ............... [More than two paragraphs obviously taken from their website.)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:34:53 PM by Amara »

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #964 on: June 12, 2012, 08:13:13 PM »
Recently I posted my Wii plus a bundle of stuff for sale on kijiji/Craigslist/FB marketplace.  The bundle consisted of the Wii console itself, one Wiimote with nunchuck, a Wii Fit balance board, Wii Sports, Trivial Pursuit game, Rayman's Raving Rabbids game (still brand spankin' new in the plastic!) and Wii Fit Plus game, along with all necessary cables, stands, sensors and manuals.  The Wii Fit balance board is even still in its original box.  Everything is in like-new condition.  I got it all figuring it would be fun, and while it is, I just don't play it much.  It's been all boxed up since I moved out of my apartment and into my home over a year ago, so obviously I don't use it much.  I  posted all that stuff for $150CAD.  A heck of a deal when you consider the balance board alone retails for $100.

The first offer I got was for $50.  Apparently any more than that was a "ripoff".
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #965 on: June 12, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
Recently I posted my Wii plus a bundle of stuff for sale on kijiji/Craigslist/FB marketplace.  The bundle consisted of the Wii console itself, one Wiimote with nunchuck, a Wii Fit balance board, Wii Sports, Trivial Pursuit game, Rayman's Raving Rabbids game (still brand spankin' new in the plastic!) and Wii Fit Plus game, along with all necessary cables, stands, sensors and manuals.  The Wii Fit balance board is even still in its original box.  Everything is in like-new condition.  I got it all figuring it would be fun, and while it is, I just don't play it much.  It's been all boxed up since I moved out of my apartment and into my home over a year ago, so obviously I don't use it much.  I  posted all that stuff for $150CAD.  A heck of a deal when you consider the balance board alone retails for $100.

The first offer I got was for $50.  Apparently any more than that was a "ripoff".

That's a great deal!

Fifty seems almost insulting.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #966 on: June 12, 2012, 10:53:50 PM »

And now, for your further entertainment, a post on my FC recently that started by her assuring everyone it wasn't an ad for "some bogus scam." (I have no idea if anyone gave her the wanted item.)

I am a life-long resident of [city], and like many of us, my family has struggled through the economic recession. Two years ago I lost my small business. I counted 17 other businesses that also closed
during that time.

It is so sad to see what is going on in our 'Land of the Free' . My family experienced homelessness for a while, but we are now secure in a nice apartment with the aid of HUD who assist us with our monthly rent. However, in order to come up with my security deposit, I sold my little truck, a sacrifice that has left me carless.

I am very resourceful and found a website that offers people in similar situations free cars; cars that come from donations from the public. So, in order for me to get one of the free cars, someone in town needs to donate their car to the organization. Once that happens, I get the call and become the proud owner of your donated vehicle. It seems to be a win-win situation.

So, this post is my way of reaching out to [city] residents who are considering donating their vehicles to a good cause...there are at least a dozen potential recipients for cars who are from [city].

Thanks for considering my request. The website where I signed up is: www dot free/charity/cars dot org <http://_______> . My profile is (name)

Here's the information about the organization: ............... [More than two paragraphs obviously taken from their website.)

On our FC, that either wouldn't have made it through or it would have shown up as "[Unnecessary information removed] Wanted: car"  ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #967 on: June 13, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
There was nothing particularly weird or outrageous about this CL request, but it still gave me a chuckle. Someone was looking for a "Chester Drawyer". Out of curiosity, I opened the ad, to see if she described what type of dresser a "Chester" was. However, as I read the ad, I got the impression that the poster was looking for any inexpensive dresser. Why is she asking specifically for a Chester drawer, I asked myself, when she really just wants any old chest of drawers ... And there I finally had my a ha moment, Chester = chest of, phonetically.

O/T, but while in between careers, I worked at a cellular 411 call center. I could not understand what half the people were saying, as we, in Orlando, were supplying this information service to people all over the NW, Mid-Atlantic, PR, and the Philippines. My favorites were the people asking for "Country Inn & Suits" and soforth, phone scrabble, or a specific business on a street but would not give me the town or state. Some were patient, but most were very rude if you didn't immediately connect them with who they wanted even if they didn't have or give enough information. I was so glad when I got this job and could get out of there!

Nuala

« Reply #968 on: June 13, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »
My favorites were the people asking for "Country Inn & Suits" and soforth.

Ugh.  This is probably better for the brain-hurt thread, but I do dislike the mispronunciation of "suite" as "sewt" instead of "sweet."  I was tempted to ask someone if the Nutcracker Sewt was her favorite bah-lett, but I refrained.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #969 on: June 13, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »

Ugh.  This is probably better for the brain-hurt thread, but I do dislike the mispronunciation of "suite" as "sewt" instead of "sweet."  I was tempted to ask someone if the Nutcracker Sewt was her favorite bah-lett, but I refrained.

My brain rattled so much when I worked there.

On topic: I have a 27" flat screen tube tv that works perfectly to post, do you think anyone would want it?

Jones

« Reply #970 on: June 13, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »

My brain rattled so much when I worked there.

On topic: I have a 27" flat screen tube tv that works perfectly to post, do you think anyone would want it?
No one took mine. I considered listing it on another site for $15 OBO and seeing what happened. Have not tried that experiment yet though.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #971 on: June 13, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »

Then you would absolutely enjoy this recent offer:

[***freecycle] offer Dog White + dolmation spots when shaved

she needs a home i need ur help please contact me for more info

There was nothing particularly weird or outrageous about this CL request, but it still gave me a chuckle. Someone was looking for a "Chester Drawyer". Out of curiosity, I opened the ad, to see if she described what type of dresser a "Chester" was. However, as I read the ad, I got the impression that the poster was looking for any inexpensive dresser. Why is she asking specifically for a Chester drawer, I asked myself, when she really just wants any old chest of drawers ... And there I finally had my a ha moment, Chester = chest of, phonetically.

That seems to be a regional thing.  Growing up, we always had a Chest of Drawers, but it was more pronounced as "Chester Drawers."  I can see it happening, since I did it myself until very recently.  :)

Yeah, I have a love of words and English and finding out hows and whys of the language.  I'm weird. :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:37:47 PM by Kaora »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #972 on: June 13, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »
If that flat screen tv can be hooked up to a computer as a monitor - somebody may very well want it.  Or post it as a spare tv for a vacation home or guest room!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amara

« Reply #973 on: June 13, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
[***freecycle] offer Dog White + dolmation spots when shaved

she needs a home i need ur help please contact me for more info

Heeheeheeheehee, Thanks for sharing this.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #974 on: June 14, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »
If that flat screen tv can be hooked up to a computer as a monitor - somebody may very well want it.  Or post it as a spare tv for a vacation home or guest room!

That's a great idea - I'd take it if it could work as a monitor! Sadly, I'm in a different country. I'll have to check closer to home.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.