Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 203415 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #975 on: June 15, 2012, 07:05:25 AM »
On topic: I have a 27" flat screen tube tv that works perfectly to post, do you think anyone would want it?

Someone took ours.   :)   We put it on for free as with the price of nice LCDs these days figured nobody would pay money for a tube tv.   The guy who took it was a lovely man who owns a much nicer TV than our current one, but he wanted the big tube tv to put in the playroom/rumpus room for his kids.   Makes sense - they sure can't knock it over or break it!   And it was a nice TV although older style.  (Quite similar to the one you describe actually!)    We were stoked that it went to a good home, plus we have that space free in our tiny house finally!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

POF

« Reply #976 on: June 15, 2012, 07:10:31 AM »
Similar situation with me. Had an older large tube type TV - and 2 guys picked it up for their Dad who was moving into an inlaw apartment with one of the sons.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #977 on: June 15, 2012, 09:09:03 AM »
We got rid of our CTR television, but sent the converter with it.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #978 on: June 15, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »
Recently I posted my Wii plus a bundle of stuff for sale on kijiji/Craigslist/FB marketplace.  The bundle consisted of the Wii console itself, one Wiimote with nunchuck, a Wii Fit balance board, Wii Sports, Trivial Pursuit game, Rayman's Raving Rabbids game (still brand spankin' new in the plastic!) and Wii Fit Plus game, along with all necessary cables, stands, sensors and manuals.  The Wii Fit balance board is even still in its original box.  Everything is in like-new condition.  I got it all figuring it would be fun, and while it is, I just don't play it much.  It's been all boxed up since I moved out of my apartment and into my home over a year ago, so obviously I don't use it much.  I  posted all that stuff for $150CAD.  A heck of a deal when you consider the balance board alone retails for $100.

The first offer I got was for $50.  Apparently any more than that was a "ripoff".

That's a great deal!

Fifty seems almost insulting.

I have found that a lot of people want stuff for free. I donate a lot to charitable causes, but once in a while I want a few bucks for an item. People sometimes think that's greedy.  :o

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #979 on: June 15, 2012, 11:49:10 AM »
My town has a "clean out your house" week every Spring. That's when you can put all your junk on the curb and the city will pick it up at no charge.

I was walking in my neighborhood and someone had put out a perfectly good flat-screen 26" TV. It was a few blocks to my home, but I lugged it back. It works great!  :)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #980 on: June 15, 2012, 11:52:40 AM »
Oh yes, CL and FC are rift with nonsensical grammar and spellings. Sometimes it amuses me, more often it makes me want to weep. (I'm an editor.)

Then you would absolutely enjoy this recent offer:

[***freecycle] offer Dog White + dolmation spots when shaved

she needs a home i need ur help please contact me for more info

There was nothing particularly weird or outrageous about this CL request, but it still gave me a chuckle. Someone was looking for a "Chester Drawyer". Out of curiosity, I opened the ad, to see if she described what type of dresser a "Chester" was. However, as I read the ad, I got the impression that the poster was looking for any inexpensive dresser. Why is she asking specifically for a Chester drawer, I asked myself, when she really just wants any old chest of drawers ... And there I finally had my a ha moment, Chester = chest of, phonetically.

That seems to be a regional thing.  Growing up, we always had a Chest of Drawers, but it was more pronounced as "Chester Drawers."  I can see it happening, since I did it myself until very recently.  :)

Yeah, I have a love of words and English and finding out hows and whys of the language.  I'm weird. :P

I've heard "chester drawers," once in a great while. It does sound odd to me; I'd wonder, "Who is Chester?" In fact, I didn't hear "chest of drawers" much until I moved to the deep south. It seemed like a lot of words to describe an item, TBH. We said "dresser."

Grancalla

« Reply #981 on: June 15, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »
On topic: I have a 27" flat screen tube tv that works perfectly to post, do you think anyone would want it?

Someone took ours.   :)   We put it on for free as with the price of nice LCDs these days figured nobody would pay money for a tube tv.   The guy who took it was a lovely man who owns a much nicer TV than our current one, but he wanted the big tube tv to put in the playroom/rumpus room for his kids.   Makes sense - they sure can't knock it over or break it!   And it was a nice TV although older style.  (Quite similar to the one you describe actually!)    We were stoked that it went to a good home, plus we have that space free in our tiny house finally!

Someone like me might want it. I play a lot of older console games, and haven't been terribly impressed with how they look on hi-def screens. (threadjack: anyone know of any on which they look good?)
My gallery

I sell art and crafty things! Linky

Jones

« Reply #982 on: June 15, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »
Someone ended up taking mine  ;D Not through Freecycle though, but a general FB posting "Does anyone know anyone who might want..."

Young girl moving out on her own for the first time, needing furniture. Funny, because I bought that tube TV when I first moved out of my parent's home (my 19" was next to a magnet while moving and had a giant perma spot in the middle of the screen; I was ticked because I had been planning on moving out for a long time and had a number of items ready to set up my own household).

BarensMom

« Reply #983 on: June 15, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »
Oh yes, CL and FC are rift with nonsensical grammar and spellings. Sometimes it amuses me, more often it makes me want to weep. (I'm an editor.)

Then you would absolutely enjoy this recent offer:

[***freecycle] offer Dog White + dolmation spots when shaved

she needs a home i need ur help please contact me for more info

There was nothing particularly weird or outrageous about this CL request, but it still gave me a chuckle. Someone was looking for a "Chester Drawyer". Out of curiosity, I opened the ad, to see if she described what type of dresser a "Chester" was. However, as I read the ad, I got the impression that the poster was looking for any inexpensive dresser. Why is she asking specifically for a Chester drawer, I asked myself, when she really just wants any old chest of drawers ... And there I finally had my a ha moment, Chester = chest of, phonetically.

That seems to be a regional thing.  Growing up, we always had a Chest of Drawers, but it was more pronounced as "Chester Drawers."  I can see it happening, since I did it myself until very recently.  :)

Yeah, I have a love of words and English and finding out hows and whys of the language.  I'm weird. :P

I've heard "chester drawers," once in a great while. It does sound odd to me; I'd wonder, "Who is Chester?" In fact, I didn't hear "chest of drawers" much until I moved to the deep south. It seemed like a lot of words to describe an item, TBH. We said "dresser."

I actually thought a chest of drawers was a "chester drawers" until I started shopping for my own furniture.  My mom hailed from Tennessee.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #984 on: June 16, 2012, 01:14:32 AM »
Today my local Freecycle had a post offering 3 half used expired bottles of mouth wash.

Yum.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #985 on: June 16, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
Today my local Freecycle had a post offering 3 half used expired bottles of mouth wash.

Yum.
Sometimes it's OK to send things to the landfill.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #986 on: June 16, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
I wonder if there is some organic gardening use mouthwash could be used for?  Then the fact that they are used and expired wouldn't really matter.

That's all I got.  Otherwise,  :o
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #987 on: June 16, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
Actually, A lot of people use it instead of bug spray. Mix it with tobacco and dish soap and spray it on your roses to get rid of aphids and other bugs.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #988 on: June 16, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
huh... ya larn somthin' new ever'day!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

BarensMom

« Reply #989 on: June 16, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
If it doesn't kill them, it makes them minty fresh. :P