Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 194620 times)

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #990 on: June 16, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
Actually, A lot of people use it instead of bug spray. Mix it with tobacco and dish soap and spray it on your roses to get rid of aphids and other bugs.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #991 on: June 16, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
huh... ya larn somthin' new ever'day!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

BarensMom

« Reply #992 on: June 16, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
If it doesn't kill them, it makes them minty fresh. :P

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #993 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »
My town has a "clean out your house" week every Spring. That's when you can put all your junk on the curb and the city will pick it up at no charge.

I was walking in my neighborhood and someone had put out a perfectly good flat-screen 26" TV. It was a few blocks to my home, but I lugged it back. It works great!  :)

I bought the tv in question about 6 years ago at Sam's Club, under warranty, for $50. The sound was broken. We took it for a warranty sound repair, and it has worked like a champ since. We live in a three story townhouse and the tv weighs more than 50 lbs, so I will be happy to have someone pick it up from the ground floor! It claims to be HD ready, but I haven't verified that claim.

Jones

« Reply #994 on: June 18, 2012, 11:27:08 AM »
Someone posted a need for a "chicken coupe" over the weekend.

I am currently envisioning a bunch of chickens overthrowing the chicken farmer, Animal Farm-style.

amylouky

« Reply #995 on: June 18, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »
Someone posted a need for a "chicken coupe" over the weekend.

I am currently envisioning a bunch of chickens overthrowing the chicken farmer, Animal Farm-style.

Why? Are they riding in a small two-door car while doing it?   ;)
(just joshin' ya, don't hate me..)

Jones

« Reply #996 on: June 18, 2012, 12:42:45 PM »
Heh, you are right; I was thinking of a coup.

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #997 on: June 18, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »
Why don't chicken's like to ride in sedans?

Because they prefer a coupe  *ba da bum*

Arizona

Nornster

« Reply #998 on: June 18, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
Can anyone think of a use for drums of used antifreeze?  I keep seeing that one on my local Craigslist - for some reason, they keep reposting it as there's been no takers :-)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #999 on: June 18, 2012, 02:58:15 PM »
Why don't chicken's like to ride in sedans?

Because they prefer a coupe  *ba da bum*

LOL

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #1000 on: June 19, 2012, 03:06:04 AM »

I've heard "chester drawers," once in a great while. It does sound odd to me; I'd wonder, "Who is Chester?" In fact, I didn't hear "chest of drawers" much until I moved to the deep south. It seemed like a lot of words to describe an item, TBH. We said "dresser."

Chest of drawers is the UK term for it.    Over here, you'll find a dresser in the kitchen - a free standing (usually) piece of furniture made of cupboards with shelves above it - something you might possibly call a hutch?  Over here, a hutch is an outdoor 'crate' type home for a pet rabbit...

Divided by a common language, indeed.

Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

jmarvellous

« Reply #1001 on: June 19, 2012, 11:19:41 AM »

I've heard "chester drawers," once in a great while. It does sound odd to me; I'd wonder, "Who is Chester?" In fact, I didn't hear "chest of drawers" much until I moved to the deep south. It seemed like a lot of words to describe an item, TBH. We said "dresser."

Chest of drawers is the UK term for it.    Over here, you'll find a dresser in the kitchen - a free standing (usually) piece of furniture made of cupboards with shelves above it - something you might possibly call a hutch?  Over here, a hutch is an outdoor 'crate' type home for a pet rabbit...

Divided by a common language, indeed.

Yeah, a dresser is for things you'd dress yourself in. A hutch is either the thing in the dining room (which might also be a buffet or a sideboard or a cabinet) OR the rabbit thing (which I don't know an alternative U.S. name for except a cage, I guess).
Also, I think you guys use "cupboard" a lot more than we do, though it means more or less the same thing here -- we just use "cabinet" more frequently. Also I think you use cupboard for things we'd call closets (part of a room) or wardrobes (freestanding, tall clothes containers).

Weird stuff I've seen on CL lately -- lots of homemade or extraordinarily ugly cat towers. And a 'barely used' cat toilet training kit, which I guess maybe isn't quite as gross as barely used human toilet products, but still strikes me as icky, irrationally. (Yeah, we got a cat.)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1002 on: June 19, 2012, 11:38:07 AM »
Around here, chest of drawers and dresser are pretty synonymous.  A hutch or a china cabinet is more like what you described for the kitchen or dining room.  And a rabbit hutch goes in the backyard and is presumably inhabited by rabbits.  :)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1003 on: June 19, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »

Weird stuff I've seen on CL lately -- lots of homemade or extraordinarily ugly cat towers. And a 'barely used' cat toilet training kit, which I guess maybe isn't quite as gross as barely used human toilet products, but still strikes me as icky, irrationally. (Yeah, we got a cat.)

The litterbox is something i am iffy on. I wouldn't accept a used one, but I have one that I used for about 3 days before giving up on it. My cats were too big for it so every day when i came home from work it would be on its side and I would have to clean it up. I tried moving it to a few different places to see if I could wedge is somewhere but gave up after day 3. It is still perfectly usable - just not by me - but I feel weird about offering it up.

jmarvellous

« Reply #1004 on: June 19, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »

The litterbox is something i am iffy on. I wouldn't accept a used one, but I have one that I used for about 3 days before giving up on it. My cats were too big for it so every day when i came home from work it would be on its side and I would have to clean it up. I tried moving it to a few different places to see if I could wedge is somewhere but gave up after day 3. It is still perfectly usable - just not by me - but I feel weird about offering it up.

A litterbox could be sprayed down with disinfectant, but I guess I'd be more interested in one passed down from someone I know than one that could have been used by a sick cat or something. Maybe you can give it to a friend?

The item I was referring to from a CL ad was this:
CitiKitty toilet training ad

(On second glance I see it's unused ... but it's only $21 from the manufacturer.)