Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 174925 times)

alegria

This morning, someone asked for 10 square-dancing crinolines on my Freecycle list.
Last week, someone was asking for a free CPAP machine (again on Freecycle).

Methinks some people don't understand the value of what they are asking for... ???  What weird or outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle recently?

otterwoman

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:48:25 AM »
I've seen people ask for working cars, flat screen tvs, and Wiis. Yeah, good luck with that.

I've asked for old metal bed springs. And got them. DH made a harrow from them.

Belle

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
The oddest I ever saw was for an offer, not a request. The subject header said something like, "OFFER: Fence-jumping goat." Apparently, the goat was able to jump their fence, and once he was over, the other animals followed.  ::)

It gave me quite a laugh. I tried to convince my husband that we couldn't say no to a free goat, but apparently we can.

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »
I once put an ad on Criagslist to pay someone $50 to come haul away/burn my ex's couch.  :) 

Arizona

L.A. Lady

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »
My local Freecycle seems to get a lot of requests for condoms and other types of birth control. I have no idea why.  ???

There is also a lady that likes to post about once a month, giving away her freezer food that she cleans out of her fridge. One item was some lamb chops that had been in her freezer for about 2 years.

WHATSNEW

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 03:08:52 PM »
My local Freecycle seems to get a lot of requests for condoms and other types of birth control. I have no idea why.  ???

There is also a lady that likes to post about once a month, giving away her freezer food that she cleans out of her fridge. One item was some lamb chops that had been in her freezer for about 2 years.

Well on the other hand I have seen ads for people asking for old meat/freezer burnt food so that they could make dog food for their pets.  

And I have seen lots of ads for people giving away old cooking oil for anyone who makes biodiesel.

pinkunicorn

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 03:46:16 PM »
I've seen people looking for Windows Vista software, looking for cars, refridgerators, very large (50 gal) fish tanks. 

But the best one I've seen so far? An offer for Cured Manure.  I grew up on a dairy farm, and I know that people like to use manure for fertilizer. But for some reason, seeing poop offered on freecycle struck me as hilarious.
Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out!

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 03:58:28 PM »
One that made me giggle today was "CPU-beige-older model" - well, because EVERYONE shops for computers by color   ::)

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »
One that made me giggle today was "CPU-beige-older model" - well, because EVERYONE shops for computers by color   ::)

Lol.

To be fair, though, if you tell me the CPU casing is beige, I have a good idea about how old it actually is. ;D

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 06:26:38 PM »
I have seen so many illegal things being given away on our freecycle. Perscription medications, illegal drugs, homebrewed white lightning (illegal to manufacture in my state).  I admit that I have turned them into the cops when I see them.

I have seen requests for full houses of furniture, money, houses, cars, medications, GPS units. Tons of stuff.     

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »
My favorite was a new laptop, never used. This was a want.

Also, a wii fit plus, with balance board, never used.  They wanted this ASAP on Christmas Eve.  Hmmmmmm

I don't see any really odd offers, but we do get a huge amount of wanteds, and they generally are from the same few people.  I'll get a dozen right in a row from one person.

Then there was the person who asked for a blue bumbo seat, with tray every.single.day for 4 months.  She hasn't been around in awhile, but as Alex has outgrown his bumbo, I'm guessing her baby no longer needs it either. That or someone finally gave her one....

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 07:42:32 PM »
Just the other day someone asked for a jetski.  Yeah, right.  It got so bad at mine that they limit people to one want per day and only on mon/wed/fri and it must be mod-approved. 

Paper Roses

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 08:04:38 PM »
I saw one the other day under "barter" - a woman claimed to by psychic and was offering to give psychic readings in exchange for housework.  

No doubt they're knocking her door down to take her up on that one.

I just checked it again - I saw this under "wanted:" 

"Wanted:  Scrabble"

Too good.  Just too good.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:07:37 PM by Paper Roses »
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 08:41:08 PM »
I can see the reasoning behind wanting old medical supplies, e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, bath seats, even the CPAP machine.  Some of that stuff can be expensive, and if someone is going to have to use it for the long term, it wouldn't pay to rent it.  Plus, I'm sure there are people out there who end up in my aunt's situation - she had two different types of walkers, a four-prong cane, and a wheelchair sitting in her garage after my older aunt who had lived with her passed away.  She gave one walker to a friend of hers who had had a hip replacement, and donated the other items to the local nursing home.  My aunt is still quite young, so the odds are that if she ever needs anything like that it won't be for many years, and in the meantime it's just taking up space, so it's good that she was able to pass it along to someone who could use it now.

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »
Just the other day someone asked for a jetski.  Yeah, right.  It got so bad at mine that they limit people to one want per day and only on mon/wed/fri and it must be mod-approved. 

My local group limits wanted posts to one per week per household. Things have not only calmed down, they have gotten more reasonable. I suppose it's not worth wasting your one wanted post a week to ask for something completely outlandish.