Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 176144 times)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 02:27:56 PM »
On Freecycle a few days ago I saw a 'wanted' for an engagement ring, because this guy has been with his girl for 8 years and it's now time.

:o

Did he specify carat weight, stone shape, and clarity?

colleenbean

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 02:33:24 PM »
No, he didn't specify at all, but I know he got a lot of responses because he posted again a day later saying that he really needs a ring because his girl 'earned and deserved' it. No way I'm responding to that.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
His girl "earned and deserved" an engagement ring he got on Freecycle/Craigslist.  You know, that doesn't say much about either of them.  If he's really strapped for cash he should be honest with her about it (which might show how much she "earns and deserves" an engagement ring from him) and save up for one. 

Speaking as someone who bought her groom's ring on sale (60% off) and whose engagement ring was "90 days same as cash." 

colleenbean

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »
That's actually why I didn't respond - our wedding rings (hematite bands) were 3 for $5 at a locally owned shop here. And that's what *I* would have suggested.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 02:51:52 PM »
His girl "earned and deserved" an engagement ring he got on Freecycle/Craigslist.  You know, that doesn't say much about either of them.  If he's really strapped for cash he should be honest with her about it (which might show how much she "earns and deserves" an engagement ring from him) and save up for one. 

Speaking as someone who bought her groom's ring on sale (60% off) and whose engagement ring was "90 days same as cash." 

I'm all for alternate or cheap ways of obtaining an engagement ring. There are many, many ways to save money on an engagement ring...but begging a ring off a bunch of strangers? meh.

Besides, what would he have done if he actually got one, proposed with it, and she hated the ring and wanted a different style?

wheeitsme

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »
No, he didn't specify at all, but I know he got a lot of responses because he posted again a day later saying that he really needs a ring because his girl 'earned and deserved' it. No way I'm responding to that.

If she "earned and deserved" it, he should have been "working and saving" for it.  ::)  After all, he's had 8 years...

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »
In the 'free' section of craigslist, I once saw an ad giving away free hugs. It didn't stay up very long.

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
Today someone on my local list said her 25th anniversary was coming up, and so she needed a pair of silk or satin pumps, ivory or white (in which case she could dye them), size 7.5-8 wide.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »
What perfect timing!  Just yesterday I was laughing to my husband about somebody who posted asking for an "Ikea mammut blue toddler bed" on Freecycle.  I mean, I can totally see asking for a toddler bed, they outgrow those quickly and somebody might be ready to make the switch.  I can even see asking for a blue one, or one in "boy colors" or something, since if they have a boy they might prefer one that isn't done over with Disney Princesses.  But a specific model, from a specific manufacturer, in a specific color?  For crying out loud.

At our old Freecycle, before we moved, somebody asked for something, I forget what, and they were amazingly specific.  Say it was a car, they wanted domestic only, not foreign, 4-door, automatic, color blue, rear spoilers, power steering and windows, LATCH in the back seats, curtain airbags, etc.  The list went on and on.  Well, my husband thought it was so greedy that he posted his own WANTED making fun of it, asking for... a grill, maybe?  But mimicking the exact requirements this guy wanted (a domestically-produced grill with side-curtain grill heaters, something like that).  He almost got himself kicked off Freecycle by the mods.  Got a warning, at least.  That was on a list where the stuff gets posted immediately, though, so people did read it before the mods deleted it from the website.  Funny, I'll admit, but totally rude, and I did tell him to knock it off (politely).

We were in a location temporarily while my husband did military training, and their Freecycle was truly awful.  2/3rds of all posts were WANTEDs, and just like the ones you guys have listed so far: cars, baby gear, expensive electronics, fashion items, etc.  People came across as really greedy.  It wasn't just a few people, though, as far as I could tell by the user names.  If we were going to be there long-term, I would have emailed the mods and recommended that they limit people to one WANTED a week, or a month, or do something to balance out the WANTEDs with OFFERs, like allowing one WANTED but after that they have to post 2 OFFERs to every WANTED.  I know a lot of people hate that rule, but this list really needed to institute something dramatic, at least for a while, then maybe they could relax the rule later.

I post a few WANTEDs, mostly in fits and spurts.  But my WANTED spurts tend to align with OFFER spurts.  Like right now, since we're moving, I've posted twice asking for boxes and moving blankets.  But I've also offered about three dozen items, so I feel like it balances out.

Karmelita

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2010, 10:23:16 PM »
I've had times when I was very active on my local Freecycle list, mostly due to clearing all the extra stuff out of my house.  So I've never posted a wanted - I have too much, don't need more.  I have given away some nice stuff in response to wanteds, though, like a brand new cell phone (didn't need it, but it came with the SIM) and a chest freezer.  I figured that it was probably one of those "can't hurt to ask" things, and I happened to be trying to figure out what to do with those items so it worked out well.

I saw one the other day that seemed really "grabby" to me though:

1) Exercise Treadmill/Stair Stepper or Mini Trampoline in good working condition
2) Boys Golf Clubs (8 years old)
3) Skateboard
4) Chi Flat Iron
5) Authentic Coach Purse

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2010, 10:57:51 PM »
5) Authentic Coach Purse

If I were rich, and not whipped by EHell, I would buy the most blindingly ugly Coach bag* I could get my hands on and offer it to the person.

*I maintain that blindingly ugly Coach bags exist, in quantity even, and I do own a Coach bag which I love, so it's not poor woman's sour grapes. :P

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2010, 10:58:09 PM »
When I was through giving away the items I had listed for months of Freecycle (I inherited the contents of my grandparent's house and had no need for about 75% of it...)....I jokingly posted a 'wanted' for gold coins. I was just kidding, and was sure the mod wouldn't post it.

Well, joke's on me, they posted it as if I was serious.

Hehee, this one guy was coming by a couple days after that was posted to pick up some stuff and he brought me a little mesh bag with foil covered chocolate coins! I thought it was hilarious, and he laughingly dared me to post "Received: Gold Coins"

Yeah, I did, and that's when people emailed me frantically who gave you gold coins!!!!

That is so full of win
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

alegria

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2010, 10:27:37 AM »
Hoooo-boy, check out what this person is asking for this morning.  Each of these requests was a single, one-line post with "$ITEM Wanted, can p/u in $MYCITY"...

1) Double jogging stroller
2) Medela breast pump
3) Playskool play kitchen set
4) Playskool outdoor play house
5) Papasan infant swing
6) Girls clothing 12mo - 3T
7) Toddler bed and bedding
8) Crib and bedding
9) Changing table

Her offers on that same day were a bag of 0-12months childrens toys and a few kitchen utensils.  Nothing says "special snowflake" quite like asking for hundreds to thousands of dollars of goods on the same day...at least that makes it easier to note the "gimme" for the rest of us!!!

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2010, 11:41:49 AM »
We got a good one on my list last night. The lady wants a new or newer tent trailer. Yea, right!

otterwoman

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »
Hoooo-boy, check out what this person is asking for this morning.  Each of these requests was a single, one-line post with "$ITEM Wanted, can p/u in $MYCITY"...

1) Double jogging stroller
2) Medela breast pump
3) Playskool play kitchen set
4) Playskool outdoor play house
5) Papasan infant swing
6) Girls clothing 12mo - 3T
7) Toddler bed and bedding
8) Crib and bedding
9) Changing table

Her offers on that same day were a bag of 0-12months childrens toys and a few kitchen utensils.  Nothing says "special snowflake" quite like asking for hundreds to thousands of dollars of goods on the same day...at least that makes it easier to note the "gimme" for the rest of us!!!

If her kid is a year old now, why is she asking for a breast pump, crib and changing table? She should already have those things.

Those are the requests that make me yell at my monitor. "I already have 6 kids (ages 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, and2), and having another, give me a crib and changing table." I always wonder where the previuos 6 kids slept...