Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 201464 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2010, 07:49:42 PM »
Hoooo-boy, check out what this person is asking for this morning.  Each of these requests was a single, one-line post with "$ITEM Wanted, can p/u in $MYCITY"...

1) Double jogging stroller
2) Medela breast pump
3) Playskool play kitchen set
4) Playskool outdoor play house
5) Papasan infant swing
6) Girls clothing 12mo - 3T
7) Toddler bed and bedding
8) Crib and bedding
9) Changing table

Her offers on that same day were a bag of 0-12months childrens toys and a few kitchen utensils.  Nothing says "special snowflake" quite like asking for hundreds to thousands of dollars of goods on the same day...at least that makes it easier to note the "gimme" for the rest of us!!!

If her kid is a year old now, why is she asking for a breast pump, crib and changing table? She should already have those things.

Those are the requests that make me yell at my monitor. "I already have 6 kids (ages 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, and2), and having another, give me a crib and changing table." I always wonder where the previuos 6 kids slept...

Unfortunately, those are also the people who seem to end up selling their (begged, borrowed, or stolen via Freecycle) baby gear at thrift stores or on eBay.  Used baby gear still sells pretty well - why not just pick up a few extra cribs and make some cash, at the expense of someone trying to be generous?   ::)

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »
Hoooo-boy, check out what this person is asking for this morning.  Each of these requests was a single, one-line post with "$ITEM Wanted, can p/u in $MYCITY"...

1) Double jogging stroller
2) Medela breast pump
3) Playskool play kitchen set
4) Playskool outdoor play house
5) Papasan infant swing
6) Girls clothing 12mo - 3T
7) Toddler bed and bedding
8) Crib and bedding
9) Changing table

Her offers on that same day were a bag of 0-12months childrens toys and a few kitchen utensils.  Nothing says "special snowflake" quite like asking for hundreds to thousands of dollars of goods on the same day...at least that makes it easier to note the "gimme" for the rest of us!!!

If her kid is a year old now, why is she asking for a breast pump, crib and changing table? She should already have those things.

Those are the requests that make me yell at my monitor. "I already have 6 kids (ages 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, and2), and having another, give me a crib and changing table." I always wonder where the previuos 6 kids slept...

Well...things do wear out! I had a used crib for my first son (my parents bought it at a yard sale). It lasted through him and my second son. By the time Son #3 came along, I needed a new crib!

I had the same changing table through all three kids. One my mother bought at a yard sale when I was 6 years old. She used it as a linen cupboard/telephone stand. I eventually gave it away to my SIL.

My problem is people wanting "NEW" things. I think you are pressing your luck for even asking. Your asking for something that costs about $70-400 (depending on style/brand).

We never had Freecycle or Craigslist around when my kids were small. If we wanted something, we saved up the money and  bought it or did without. Perish the thought.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that we have communities/organizations where we can get rid of our stuff and maybe get some new "stuff" for free! I just think people need to quit being so picky/grabby about it!

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

alegria

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2010, 10:54:04 PM »
We got a good one on my list last night. The lady wants a new or newer tent trailer. Yea, right!

:o :o :o

Having just bought a travel trailer, her hubris is AMAZING!!!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2010, 10:15:36 AM »
What is a bit sad is that I've gotten so tired of all the "wanted" ads, I don't look at any of them anymore.  I have one email account for freecycle, and I download it into outlook into it's own folder.  It got hard to read the "offer" and "taken" ads with all the "wanted" ads, that the "wanted" ones now get automatically sorted into their own folder that I just delete periodically. 

hollasa

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2010, 10:58:31 AM »
I had actually started a blog last year, posting odd things I'd seen:
http://www.wantforfree.info/

Haven't updated it in a while, though.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2010, 11:05:39 AM »

Oh some of those are really funny --

(PS - anybody have some free plane tickets to England laying around? giggle
I really would like to see a friend there......>end sarcasm<)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2010, 01:14:47 PM »

Sounds like someone's starting a big ol' house o' teak.

And mannequin parts ---shudder---

BarensMom

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »
Actually, my husband and I had airplane tickets to England lying around for a couple years, they were nonrefundable and transferable.  They finally expired, sorry about that.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2010, 03:08:02 PM »
Actually, my husband and I had airplane tickets to England lying around for a couple years, they were nonrefundable and transferable.  They finally expired, sorry about that.

oh poop
grin
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2010, 04:15:45 PM »
I don't usually read Freecycle, but am a huge fan of the free category on Craigslist.   It seems every other offer is for a dismal sofa.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 03:09:36 AM »

If I'm reading the 1$ from 1000 People right...

Is he asking for money in exchange for ill-got software?

... Stuff that you can find online for FREE?  And highly illegal?

I don't endorse this at all, but the sheer head-banginess...

.. It makes my mind hurt.  :o

kglory

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 04:51:06 AM »
Well this takes the cake......

Frozen Chicken Wings.... 8-9 Pounds (Arlington Court House)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-03-16, 10:11PM EDT
Reply to: sale-vmaws-1647649448@craigslist.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We bought a frozen 10LB bag of chicken wings for the monthly meeting of Arlington Vegetarians at our house. Obviously, we grossly miscalculated our demand for these delicious poultry appendages of flight, and now you can benefit.

Only 1-2 pounds of the wings were served up, and we have already eaten chicken wings 3 nights in a row. No more!! Bring on the beef!

Hahahaha!  My only question is, how did this group of vegetarians eat 1-2 pounds of chicken wings at all?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 04:44:07 PM »
Well this takes the cake......

Frozen Chicken Wings.... 8-9 Pounds (Arlington Court House)

Date: 2010-03-16, 10:11PM EDT
Reply to: sale-vmaws-1647649448@craigslist.org

We bought a frozen 10LB bag of chicken wings for the monthly meeting of Arlington Vegetarians at our house. Obviously, we grossly miscalculated our demand for these delicious poultry appendages of flight, and now you can benefit.

Only 1-2 pounds of the wings were served up, and we have already eaten chicken wings 3 nights in a row. No more!! Bring on the beef!

Hahahaha!  My only question is, how did this group of vegetarians eat 1-2 pounds of chicken wings at all?

Some of them don't eat RED meat, but do eat fowl.  Some of them had dates or SOs with them who weren't vegetarians.  I'm still trying to get into the mind set of someone who is planning a menu for vegetarians and starts with MEAT (even if it is bird meat).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 06:18:40 PM »
Mr. Sirius told me about one he saw:  It showed a picture of a dining room table and said, "This is a dining room table."  That's all.  They didn't say if they were offering it for free, for sale, or for firewood.  There was also no way to reach the poster. 

Jules1980

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 12:23:37 AM »
Once saw someone wanting to get rid of cereal from the 90's.  Apparently, she had bought it during one of the Olympic games, thinking that the celebrity boxes would be worth something someday.  They weren't.    About every other line in the ad was a disclaimer saying DO NOT eat the cereal, but she thought someone who liked those athletes might like to have the boxes.  I thought, why not just throw them out.  You've already told people they're worthless as collectibles and the cereal is probably toxic waste at this point.  I know some people don't like to waste things, but at some point most everything needs to be trashed.