Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 175531 times)

FunkyMunky

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2010, 01:02:46 AM »
Mr. Sirius told me about one he saw:  It showed a picture of a dining room table and said, "This is a dining room table."  That's all.  They didn't say if they were offering it for free, for sale, or for firewood.  There was also no way to reach the poster. 

Well, this one makes sense - it was clearly an offer of free information.

alegria

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »
This morning one person asked for a digital camera, an iPod, and laptop RAM for a specific new-ish laptop model.  Yeesh.   ::)

Camarynne

• Nowadays, friendship is global. :)
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2010, 11:15:19 AM »
A person on our local Freecycle list posted a "want" for a car recently, anything for transportation, and actually got it!  Of course there was a slight catch, she had to bring it up to smog regulations for our state (California) and then pay to transfer the license plates from another state. So it was free, but it wasn't, KWIM? She was still happy with it. I think she would have done better buying an inexpensive one from here that was smog-ready, but you never know I guess.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Truth, my friend, is somewhere out there, just waiting to be released.
But before you embark on your great endeavor, know that you'll never return to peace.
-- Charles Edward Jaggard

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2010, 01:26:12 PM »
I don't have any outrageous requests anymore, because I got *so* annoyed by the ratio of WANTEDs to OFFERs in my new location that I fixed up a filter on Gmail to send all WANTEDs to the trash.  I mean, first of all, I don't have the contents of my house with me since this is a temporary station for us, so I'm unlikely to have anything that people would request, and if I *do* have anything I don't want, I'll post it as an OFFER, so they'll see it anywhere.  It's great, now I can enjoy Freecycle and not have to get steamed about all the expensive wants that people have but don't want to pay for.

The only WANTED posts that I like are for things that other people might think are really trash, that sort of thing, and wouldn't be likely to offer.  Like, say, "WANTED: broken computer parts," or "Wanted: Baby food jars, glass or plastic."  Yogurt cups, peanut butter jars, fabric scraps, things like that.  Things that might be recyclable or not, but that a person wouldn't necessarily think to offer.  Or *possibly* things that a person might be done with and might be storing, but might be willing to pass on if they realized somebody else could use it.  But other than that, I think people should sit back and wait for things to be offered.

Hillia

« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
The ones that irritate me are the ones asking for pet supplies.  Not just an unusual item (say, an Elizabethan collar for an injured pet) but all the basics: collar, leash, bed, bowls, coats, cages for rabbits/hamsters, etc.  If you don't have/can't get these items, you have no business acquiring a pet.  Collars and leashes can be gotten pretty cheaply; I've picked up several at the dollar store.  The same with bowls.  Beds are as easy as an old blanket or towel.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rhirhi

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »
My area seems to be full of dying/dead people. Because we have offers of CPAPs every other month or so.

LeeLee88

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »
Oh man, I wish Freecycle had been around when my great-grandma died!  God bless the woman, she had a thing for hoarding fabric, embroidery thread, yarn, etc. (in addition to hoarding purses, Avon lipsticks, and odd packages of Juicy Fruit inside the pockets of said purses  :P).  We were calling people up for weeks to get rid of that fabric, and only a few took some because great-grandma liked COLOR *spangly spangly*, and those who took it weren't so into the plethora of colors.  We were finally able to clear it off to the local Amish for use in quilts, but even then it was months after we had started cleaning the house out.  Freecycle would have made everything sooo much simpler, honestly.

Jules1980

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
Are there really people taking CPAP's off Freecycle?  Why?  If its not, by some coincidence, set to the level you need, it isn't going to do you any good, and can actually hurt you.  Many DME's won't set CPAP's that they don't sell because of insurance risks.  (Someone saying you messed up their machines, etc.)  Just seems like it would be useless. 

However, most people don't know that those machines are not one size/pressure fits all, until they come in to be tested.  So, maybe its people hoping to skip the whole testing part that are taking them.

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
The ones that irritate me are the ones asking for pet supplies.  Not just an unusual item (say, an Elizabethan collar for an injured pet) but all the basics: collar, leash, bed, bowls, coats, cages for rabbits/hamsters, etc.  If you don't have/can't get these items, you have no business acquiring a pet.  Collars and leashes can be gotten pretty cheaply; I've picked up several at the dollar store.  The same with bowls.  Beds are as easy as an old blanket or towel.

But again, Freecycle is really about recycling, not being a charity. I know I would prefer to get used pet items if I could to avoid buying new ones just avoid the waste.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2010, 11:03:33 PM »
Speaking of pets, someone here wanted an adult dog, with no biting, chewing or potty problems and good with children.  She specified that she wanted a large dog that could go running with her husband.

Apparently she wanted someone to train one for her.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2010, 08:20:46 PM »
Ooh, new one today!

Wanted NewBorn Boy ( OurCity & Surrounding areas)

Of course, the rest of the post was "Niece Had her Baby 2day Had planned several months for a girl wound up being a
boy, if you have any clothes..blankets Etc....could really use some lil clothes Thank You Very Much" - but I like the subject line better  ;)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2010, 02:57:57 PM »
Ha!  This one's an offer, but I love it!  (bolding mine)

Offer - Temperamental CAT

* Right up front, Chester does not like loud noise, dogs, or children.
* He weighs 21.5 pounds and has had front paws de-clawed.
* He is an indoor cat only, with only occasional few minutes to bask
in the sun.
* WE really want him to have a wonderful home.
* WE love him, but we are moving to a place that does not allow pets.
* This is breaking out hearts, but I know someone out there will love
him.
* Chester is a Hemingway, and has 6 front paws.

Melxb

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »

in the sun.
him.

I would TOTALLY take hime if I could!  We're all adults in my house and our cats are 80% indoors/20% outdoors and would love a new playmate.  And he's a Hemingway--he needs to retire in style.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »

in the sun.
him.

I would TOTALLY take hime if I could!  We're all adults in my house and our cats are 80% indoors/20% outdoors and would love a new playmate.  And he's a Hemingway--he needs to retire in style.

True, but do you really have the space for an eight legged cat?  ;D

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »

in the sun.
him.

True, but do you really have the space for an eight legged cat?  ;D
Maybe it's like the cat version of having two left feet?  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.