Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 205667 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2010, 02:40:30 PM »
I saw an odd post today, but it wasn't a WANTED, it was an OFFER.  Somebody is offering a kid's outdoor house, one of those little plastic playhouses.  So far so good.  The weird thing is, I was interested in the set, so I Google mapped the distance to her location from mine... 3 1/2 hours.  I live within the city limits of the city whose Freecycle she posted on.  It's really a pretty small city.  She lives 3 1/2 hours to the east, on the other side of a major city that I'm *sure* has a Freecycle list.  I emailed her, out of curiosity, to verify whether that's correct.  Because either Google maps has the wrong location for her town, or she's totally listing her stuff on the wrong Freecycle list.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2010, 02:43:44 PM »
I think the thing that gets me about the tomato gardening request is that the poster is even asking for the plants/seeds. That's where it crosses the line for me. Of course, YMMV.

I dunno.  One of my friends recently sent an email around to a bunch of people offering up 100 extra tomato seedlings that she had available.

Asking just doesn't seem that outrageous to me.

I guess it's just a matter of perspective. Where I grew up, everyone did (and still does) have big gardens, so there were no such things as "extra" plants (although many were traded/gifted among family and friends).
The status is not quo!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2010, 03:47:14 PM »
i would like a large Coach purse.
if you have one (or more) in your closet that you don't want or use anymore, i would like them.  i can give them a great home.

shyone

------------------
I would not call her shy for asking!  Perhaps I should try the same route.  My church held a yard sale and we found a donated coach fany pack/hip walker pack.  Sold for 5 dollars.  Strill, nothing beats FREE! And she wants large ones. 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
if you have one (or more) in your closet that you don't want or use anymore, i would like them.  i can give them a great home.

shyone

------------------
I would not call her shy for asking!  Perhaps I should try the same route.  My church held a yard sale and we found a donated coach fany pack/hip walker pack.  Sold for 5 dollars.  Strill, nothing beats FREE! And she wants large ones. 

But she'll give it a great home!  She'll feed it and walk it every day and give it lots of treats, I bet.

mandycorn

« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
I should put up a wanted on freecycle, see if I can get some of the items I've been looking for at garage sales.  What do you think my chances are?

Upright chest freezer (need not be in working order or even have the motor)
Pennies from 1981 and earlier

ok -- now I GOT to know

what are you going to do with a chest freezer that don't work?

Store Pennies, I would think that would have been obvious :)

LOL! Good one deadbody!

My guess for the chest freezer is some sort of modified keg-erator... but I have a ton of brewing buddies
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

BrittMontero

« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »

shyone

------------------

See, people are posting these things as completely far-fetched.  But I actually have three pieces of Louis Vuitton -- two large handbags (with matching key-ring/folders) and a briefcase -- in my closet that are like-new and sitting there gathering dust.  They belonged to my late mother and I don't like designer goods -- but can't bring myself to throw them away.  If a request for LV caught my eye, I might just be inclined to pass them along.  So it really never hurts to ask.  You might be surprised at what people are itching to give away.  I went to an estate sale once and the guy running it was tired of selling stuff so I walked out with a large turkey platter (the vintage kind worth about $50) and some very collectible books along with lovely older linens and two crystal candlesticks -- free.  He had his feet up and didn't want to be bothered tallying the prices or taking the money.  I bet he had a dishwasher to get rid of, too!   :)

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »
I've looked for some designer brands on Craigslist before, but never thought to look on Freecycle (or post there, for that matter). I love designer brands, but have to satisfy myself with lusting after them, or making the occasional splurge at an outlet mall (after saving for the trip, and having no idea what I'll find there), or watching for an online sample sale, and hoping they'll have what I've been dreaming of.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2010, 07:14:08 PM »

shyone

------------------

See, people are posting these things as completely far-fetched.  But I actually have three pieces of Louis Vuitton -- two large handbags (with matching key-ring/folders) and a briefcase -- in my closet that are like-new and sitting there gathering dust.  They belonged to my late mother and I don't like designer goods -- but can't bring myself to throw them away.  If a request for LV caught my eye, I might just be inclined to pass them along.  So it really never hurts to ask.  You might be surprised at what people are itching to give away.  I went to an estate sale once and the guy running it was tired of selling stuff so I walked out with a large turkey platter (the vintage kind worth about $50) and some very collectible books along with lovely older linens and two crystal candlesticks -- free.  He had his feet up and didn't want to be bothered tallying the prices or taking the money.  I bet he had a dishwasher to get rid of, too!   :)

You might try selling on ebay. 

BrittMontero

« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2010, 07:28:32 PM »

shyone

------------------

You might try selling on ebay. 

Thanks, I just don't have the time for pursuits like that and am not anxious to make a buck from my mother's belongings.  I just wanted to make the point that you never know what Freecyclers have lurking around.   :)

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2010, 09:59:50 AM »
My boyfriend just found out about this winning personals ad that a guy he knew in high school just posted: http://littlerock.craigslist.org/m4w/1715626839.html

I would totally date this guy. No really, I would.

I enjoy a challenge/torture session.

I thought the ad was hilarious! It was, like a joke... right?

According to my boyfriend, the guy was just having a major emo pity party for himself...

alegria

« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2010, 10:14:18 AM »
I should put up a wanted on freecycle, see if I can get some of the items I've been looking for at garage sales.  What do you think my chances are?

Upright chest freezer (need not be in working order or even have the motor)
Pennies from 1981 and earlier

ok -- now I GOT to know

what are you going to do with a chest freezer that don't work?

Store Pennies, I would think that would have been obvious :)

LOL! Good one deadbody!

My guess for the chest freezer is some sort of modified keg-erator... but I have a ton of brewing buddies

Non-working chest freezers are also EXCELLENT for dry storage of pet food that the pets can't get into.  Or if you buy in bulk and/or prefer to store lots of supplies, it would work well for storing plenty of dry staples of your own food too.  :)

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »
Wanted: I need a white dishwasher that works and looks good!  Sday, May x, 2010 PM
All of my appliances are white and my dishwasher went out!  I have 5 kiddos and we go through dishes like crazy!  Anyway...I have been handwashing but would love to be able to get a dishwasher again!  If you are switching to stainless or just updating and have a working white dishwasher that is in decent cosmetic condition...I would love to have it...  :)!  Thanks so much!  123-456-7890 or email me

------------------------------------------
So, 5 kids would keep me pretty busy!  Too busy to care about the look of my dishwasher.  I wonder if she got any takers.  And she put her phone number.  That is supposed to be a no-no. 

[Small Voice]  When my neighbors upgraded their kitchen to stainless, I jumped at their dishwasher.  My existing was black (so hard to see the dirt) and was about to go.   I don't think asking if someone is upgrading is that horrible [/Small Voice]
Formerly Mrs.Bart

BrittMontero

« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Wanted: I need a white dishwasher that works and looks good!  Sday, May x, 2010 PM
All of my appliances are white and my dishwasher went out!  I have 5 kiddos and we go through dishes like crazy!  Anyway...I have been handwashing but would love to be able to get a dishwasher again!  If you are switching to stainless or just updating and have a working white dishwasher that is in decent cosmetic condition...I would love to have it...  :)!  Thanks so much!  123-456-7890 or email me

------------------------------------------
So, 5 kids would keep me pretty busy!  Too busy to care about the look of my dishwasher.  I wonder if she got any takers.  And she put her phone number.  That is supposed to be a no-no. 

[Small Voice]  When my neighbors upgraded their kitchen to stainless, I jumped at their dishwasher.  My existing was black (so hard to see the dirt) and was about to go.   I don't think asking if someone is upgrading is that horrible [/Small Voice]

It's not horrible at all.  Good for you!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
Asking for use of an item after an upgrade is fine, it was her listing the color in the heading and the body of the post that to me was a bit off-putting.
If I had a dishwasher in off-white, or another color, I would post "OFFER" instead of responding to her post, since it was not the item she seemed to want as much as the style of the item. 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

alegria

« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2010, 10:58:24 AM »
For example, the person who I've posted about twice now looking for baby stuff, has today requested (a) a photo printer with paper, (b) a digital camera that has no delay from startup to taking pictures, and (c) a double jogging stroller.  That's three big series of posts looking for specific big-ticket items within about four weeks.  Even if I had any of these items that I wanted to get rid of, I would not give them to her at this point because it's only rewarding the unbridled greed.  And no, she has not put up anything on offer beyond the bag of "mixed baby clothes" that she had up a few weeks ago.

And guess what, she's baaack this morning!

Today's list of demands requests are:
-crib and changing table
-double stroller
-Medela breast pump
-propane tank for BBQ
-mens clothing of specific sizes
-mini-fridge
-books, tapes, DVDs, "the more the better"

At least she has dropped her brand name and design requirements for the first two, and added "doesn't matter what they look like as long as they are safe" to them.  And she put up two offers, one of a bag of women's (size) clothing and one of a bag of women's shoes.  So maybe there is hope for her...