Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 191835 times)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1065 on: September 29, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »
This was on my local Craigslist today:

"I am looking to purchase or a adopt a horse, I ride English but enjoy western for fun and love going on the trails.
I want a horse or large pony either free or a small re homing fee."

Not on CL, but on an equine sale list I moderate. Someone posted offering two 4-month-old fillies; one was $500 and one was $350. The cheaper one has a medical condition that it may or may not grow out of, that the "owner" doesn't want to deal with.

Someone replied, "Can you ride them? I have $100."  :-\

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #1066 on: October 01, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
I just saw a good one the other day.  A lady was asking for Redskins tickets on Freecycle.
It's not *totally* beyond the realm of possibility, but I still had a good laugh about it. "Yeah lady. That's gonna happen." 

Pippen

« Reply #1067 on: October 02, 2012, 01:01:52 AM »
This was on my local Craigslist today:

"I am looking to purchase or a adopt a horse, I ride English but enjoy western for fun and love going on the trails.
I want a horse or large pony either free or a small re homing fee."

Not on CL, but on an equine sale list I moderate. Someone posted offering two 4-month-old fillies; one was $500 and one was $350. The cheaper one has a medical condition that it may or may not grow out of, that the "owner" doesn't want to deal with.

Someone replied, "Can you ride them? I have $100."  :-\

4 months old?! And some fool wants to ride them?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1068 on: October 09, 2012, 09:34:28 PM »
I posted a used trombone in a case toward the end of September - it was picked up by the second person to be contacted about getting it (first one couldn't get to this side of Houston after all).  I posted that it had been picked up the day I met the person who got it.
Two weeks later, I have gotten three more contacts in the last three days.

Asking days after an item has been posted as being picked up just "gets my goat" for some reason - rather like the people are fishing with a sob story to see if they can catch anything else that you might have that is GOOD to make up for them missing the last item that was posted on Freecycle.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

As to someone wanting to ride a four month old horse - there are a lot of people out there who seem to think that they come out of factories with the saddle already installed...or something like that.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amara

« Reply #1069 on: October 10, 2012, 11:22:51 AM »
I agree that it can be irritating to get emails days after you have posted a "promised" or "taken" note on FC. Even worse is when you have deleted the ad and still get the emails. I don't consider it a big deal, but it's just annoying enough to cause me not answer them at all, something I otherwise always do.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1070 on: October 10, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »
I agree that it can be irritating to get emails days after you have posted a "promised" or "taken" note on FC. Even worse is when you have deleted the ad and still get the emails. I don't consider it a big deal, but it's just annoying enough to cause me not answer them at all, something I otherwise always do.

I once got one 6 months after I posted the ad. I didn't even bother answering that one. i think it was someone who just signed up and was going through old posts. But it did make me shake my head. Even if I hadn't given it away after 6 months I would have tossed it.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1071 on: October 11, 2012, 11:59:18 PM »
One of the several things I was selling on Kijiji was an electric guitar.  I do play, but I far prefer my acoustic and very seldom play electric at all.  I got a response from a gent who wanted to buy it, though he was working out of town and wouldn't be back til the weekend, and would I hold onto it for him til then? Fair enough; he didn't try to gouge me on price, so I told him to let me know when he was back in town and we'd make arrangements then.  I don't hear from him at all, not that weekend, and not the following one.  I email asking if he is still interested, because I have other buyers lined up if he isn't and I'd like to do them the courtesy of not leaving them hanging, one way or the other.  No response.  I give up and sell the guitar to another buyer (who happened to be an extraordinarily well-mannered 12-year-old boy who'd been saving to buy his first guitar.)  I sell him the guitar, everyone goes home happy.

Then I hear back from the original emailer, saying he's back in town now and wants to come see the guitar.  I respond saying, "Sorry, but I didn't hear from you for two weeks, I assumed you were no longer interested and it's now been sold."  I got back a ranty email about what a horrible awful terrible despicable person I am and how DARE I sell HIS guitar (since when??)  and we had a DEAL and I have SOME NERVE and on and on and on.  I laughed and deleted it.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #1072 on: October 12, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »
 ??? I just saw one that made me ill. Thong underwear! There are some things that should just not be passed on and that is it. REALLY sick part... I saw the TAKEN before the Offered!!

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #1073 on: October 12, 2012, 10:48:17 AM »
I just saw a good one the other day.  A lady was asking for Redskins tickets on Freecycle.
It's not *totally* beyond the realm of possibility, but I still had a good laugh about it. "Yeah lady. That's gonna happen."

during the last few Redskins seasons, she might actually have scored a couple of tickets for free.

but this season?  with RGIII signed as quarterback?  chances would be somewhere in the area of slim and none. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1074 on: October 12, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »
I advertised some tire chains on Craigslist and a guy from Seattle responded to my ad.  I live about 35 minutes north of Seattle.  He asked if we were, by any chance, planning on being in Seattle in the next week or so, and if so, he wanted the chains.  I replied that yes, it just so happens that we were going to be there for a softball tournament and we would be at Lower Woodland Park on Friday night. 

He then said that's great!  He lives only 7 blocks away from Lower Woodland Park!  He then proceeded to give me directions to his house.

(Not really feeling it for this guy and this transaction at this point) I wrote back and said I wasn't interested in delivering them to him.  If he wants the chains, we will be at Lower Woodland Park on Friday night.  He wrote back and said, basically, what?  It's only 7 blocks!  Can't you just swing by and drop them off?  It's not that far out of your way.

I didn't write back.  I heard from him once more, saying okay okay I'll come to the park.  But by then I was done with him.  I wrote back and told him I'd given them to my niece, sorry, but the chains were no longer available (which was true). 

Jones

« Reply #1075 on: October 25, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »
I was coming to post about the muscle mags listed in my Freecycle today but that....that is a strange fetish indeed.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1076 on: October 25, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »
Oh, my. Platonic friends? Really?

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #1077 on: October 25, 2012, 04:45:54 PM »
I am so confused....
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Jones

« Reply #1078 on: October 25, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »
I am so confused....

I'm not surprised...the post ica171 and I were referring to is gone now, sorry.

Amara

« Reply #1079 on: October 25, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »
Hoo boy, wonders never cease on CL. Here is part of an ad that just went up:

Tattoo YOUR COMPANY'S logo on my Arm permenantly!!! Willing to entertain any and ALL company logos. The space is approx. 8 inches by 3 inches, on my right forearm, available to have your Company's official logo tattooed onto it. Also available are each of my (2) calf areas on each of my legs also for the same price. You get (1) location for the asking price. Each additional space is an additional charge.

1. I only have (1) other tattoo, so any logo would NOT be lost in the fray of a bunch of other color on my skin.
2. I actively ride a motorcycle almost daily throughout Northern Nevada, and visibility would fairly high comparatively.
3. To be frank, my appearances, are of the nature, that get folks attention due to my above average stature, and alternative hairstyle that DEFINITELY stands out.
4. I'm a 4th generation Northern Nevadan native that frequents over 3 dozen different stores, restaurants, services, and retailers in Northern Nevada/California area on a weekly basis, to which your logo would be perpetually visible, each and every time I did so.
5. The actual cost of the tattoo, will also be the buyer's responsibility, and depending on color and size, I will work with the buyer to choose the best local tattoo artist for the job...

There will also obviously need to be some form of formalized agreement in order to proceed, and I will work with Buyer to draft agreement/contract, upon purchase of agreement to advertise on my body. The going rate for a tattoo of this size on the arm is approx.. $5,000-$10,000 plus the cost of the tattoo of course. For a calf/leg design the same size or larger, approx.. $4,000-$6,000, and I won't bore you with the details about face and neck, because, I simply couldn't make that kind of commitment. An arm or leg, which could potentially be seen by hundreds of non-traditional target audience members a week, for as long as I'm alive, and/or YOUR COMPANY is still in business. I'd be happy to adorn any relevant dot.com information for your company's website along side the logo as well for no additional cost, the only requirement being size, and whether or not it could be made to fit accordingly.