Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 190573 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1095 on: November 16, 2012, 07:36:36 PM »
Well I guess a guy's gotta try . . . and where else other than Craigslist would you go if you happened to be looking for the same thing?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1096 on: November 16, 2012, 10:00:34 PM »
Well I guess a guy's gotta try . . . and where else other than Craigslist would you go if you happened to be looking for the same thing?

Personal ads in an alternative lifestyle newspaper would be a better choice. We used to read those in college just to see all the wild things people would ask for.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #1097 on: November 16, 2012, 11:36:13 PM »
CL never fails to provide entertainment value. From the San Francisco site:

I'm 33, have an engineering degree from one of the top universities in the world. I'm smart, successful, well-traveled and intelligent.

I would love to help you with your electronics, fix your computer or help you around the house with whatever you need...for free.

What's the catch, you ask?

I'd like to be able to do these things around your house while you hover nude or semi-nude around me. No touching / contact is expected on my part, but this fantasy has been a dream of mine for a while. We can talk about the details of this. Maybe you'll be more comfortable if I was in some state of undress as well for this, etc. Let's discuss.

I'm also willing to meet in public place for coffee or a drink beforehand if that will help you to feel more comfortable with the idea. :)

That's actually not that odd... But it is funny!  ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

wendelenn

« Reply #1098 on: November 17, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »

Given that it's San Francisco, I was wondering the gender of both parties involved, lol.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1099 on: November 17, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »

Given that it's San Francisco, I was wondering the gender of both parties involved, lol.

If it were a girl asking, she wouldn't have to ask on Craigslist  8)

Seriously, though, in respect to blue2000's comment - alternative papers are great if you have one, but they're not so useful for personal ads if you don't live in a metro area that has one.  Not to say there aren't some head-scratcher sex-based requests out there, because there are (this one is great, although not really SFW).  But if you're someone whose turn-ons involve weird and/or embarrassing stuff, Craigslist is one of the few free and anonymous ways you can send out feelers to see if someone else is up for playing along.

Nox

« Reply #1100 on: November 17, 2012, 12:59:37 AM »
Please don't get a goat as a lawn mower--- you're better off with sheep if you want lawnmowers. Goats, contrary to popular belief, don't eat everything, and they prefer to eat rosebushes than grass. // PSA Over.

There was a business near my folks (and maybe still is) called Rent-A-Ruminant. They had a herd of goats and, for a price, would bring them places to clear the brush. I loved that idea so much. It also solidified it in my brain that goats eat brush, sheep eat grass.

BarensMom

« Reply #1101 on: November 17, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
Please don't get a goat as a lawn mower--- you're better off with sheep if you want lawnmowers. Goats, contrary to popular belief, don't eat everything, and they prefer to eat rosebushes than grass. // PSA Over.

There was a business near my folks (and maybe still is) called Rent-A-Ruminant. They had a herd of goats and, for a price, would bring them places to clear the brush. I loved that idea so much. It also solidified it in my brain that goats eat brush, sheep eat grass.

The one our city uses is called "Goats R Us."

Amara

« Reply #1102 on: November 25, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
Oh, the entitlement . . . This guy has been spamming the heck out of our housing site and getting his ads repeatedly deleted. 

I must move between now and FEB or APRIL of 2012 - FORECLOSURE SITUATION

A trailer space of LAND for sitting w/ elec or generator if possible.

215 420 PATIENT medical grower NEEDS LAND.

I have two dogs one LAB and one GERMANSHEP LAB mix,
that are very protective yet friendly when I give them the signal,
to help me watch anyones land.

QUIET REMOTE PLACE needed :) I read, write, garden, am a GREAT COOK, like to can foods, live off God's given land,
and keep busy otherwise, QUIETLY

I would not have traffic and people coming and going...
I keep to myself in those regards. Friendly and outgoing
but need no visitors, traffic, noise or drama. My nerves, after having had CANCER - CHEMO - and - RADIATION
cannot take noise, chaos, disrruption, etc.

Had my own home w/ gardening space for over 12 years. I am now losing that home (my Grandmothers)
due to cancer and having to try to survive it.

We don't need for much... just a REAL quiet place and some small gardening space.

420 215 PATIENT currently needing to use to stay off of pain pills, and aleviate nausea.
I can care for your 420 215 or plain vegetable gardening grow also if needed.

I have been a professional horticulturist for many large Bay area companies in the past
and LOVE TO GARDEN and GROW.

LEGAL LIMITS on growing my medicinal 420 = MARIJUANA - ONLY

Now, I need a quiet mother in law or
a trailer space for my 16 Ft. TRAILER and VEHICLE Parking also, to keep a small trailer for living and to take care of land and watch it.

Prefer acerage w/ creek or some pond water if possible not a necessity for the water on land though.
I do SOLAR LIGHTS AT NIGHT and that saves electricity. Want to live quietly, GARDEN etc.

I also need to move a nice ABOVE GROUND SWIMMING POOL if needed, can store if not.

TWO protective but not mean biting 1 large 1 medium sized dogs. Would really like to be in the hills or near the COAST and OCEAN

CAN PAY ELEC or use GENERATOR.
I use little electric due to using SOLAR and SOLAR LIGHTS.

But living space must be FREE or VERY VERY CHEAP to stay there for LANDSITTING LAND SITTER.

NOTE* 420 215 patient - if you are NOT 420 FRIENDLY... not need bother. I grow my LEGAL LIMIT only.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1103 on: November 25, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »
The only thing he doesn't say is, "Pot gardener on your land, I will bring my trailer, pool, and dogs. You provide the land, running water, and electricity."

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1104 on: January 02, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
Had to resurrect this thread for a funny one I saw the other day. Every once in a while I will see a Freecycle wanted for "baby" or "baby boy" or "baby girl." The first few times I saw them I thought perhaps someone was being very odd and actually asking for a baby, but no, it's always been clothes or gear. There was another one the other day, which reminded me of this thread. I hope I'm not the only person in the group who wonders if the poster wants an actual baby.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1105 on: January 02, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »
I remember seeing several comments on another list where someone was giving away older "stuff" and got chewed out for being selfish and keeping the GOOD (new) stuff for themselves - they should have given away the NEW stuff and kept the old stuff.

Which I thought was mind boggling until I was giving away some older computers in September this year and was asked if they would run Windows 8...

Reminded me of the lady at my open house in Georgia who was insisting that I needed to pull up a corner of the carpet so that she could see if there was hardwood flooring under there.  I told her three times that we built the house six years earlier and there was no hardwood flooring in it at all....but she'd watched too many remodeling shows and wanted to see for herself, I suppose. 

She didn't end up making an offer on the house - probably because I didn't let her start ripping up the carpet while she was looking at it....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amara

« Reply #1106 on: January 03, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
This is not a weird or outrageous request, but it is Freecycle.

Several months ago I saw on CL an ad for a lovely wing chair and ottoman for only $30! The photograph made it appear to be pearl gray. Lovely, but it wouldn't fit with my colors. Nevertheless I called and it turns out to be a pale green. I went over and fell in love. The chair and ottoman are gorgeous.

The house was mostly empty as they were selling it. I also fell in love with the dining room-living room carpeting, a stunning seafoam green. Though it was relatively new and in perfect condition, the realtor was making them replace it with plain beige. I asked what would happen to it, and if it was just going to be dumped could I have it. Yes, it was and yes, I could.

The carpet people brought it to me where the two oversized rolls have sat in my bedroom. I contacted a local company about making the rugs I wanted but at this point I can't do it because of the cost. So I contacted several people on CL who take stuff to the dump. It was going to cost me about $100 to get rid of it.

Then I had the idea of putting it on Freecycle, thinking it was hopeless--who would want untrimmed, raw carpet and who loves the color as much as I do?--but I was stunned to get seven or eight emails from people desperate for it. Today it will be going. I am rather sad to lose it since I would have loved having it as rugs, but the woman who is taking it is thrilled. She has a couple of places in her home with damaged floors she can't afford to replace yet so she will be having two large rugs made from it.

Another happy Freecycle story.

Jones

« Reply #1107 on: January 07, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »
Today someone offered a garter belt along with several colors of fishnet stockings.

alkira6

« Reply #1108 on: January 07, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »
Today someone offered a garter belt along with several colors of fishnet stockings.

I would actuall take that. Fishnet makes pretty interesting crafting material.  Garter belt would probably be deconstructed for part for further crafting.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #1109 on: January 07, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
While garter belts are underwear, they're not like panties either. They don't touch the genitals.  They're no more unsanitary than a pair of shorts.