Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 206514 times)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1140 on: July 28, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »
I was uncertain as to whether to put this into this thread or the scammer one as it fits both perfectly. Posted in the "Wanted" section of our CL this morning:

Iīm a 33 years old and seriously ill single-mom from Germany and I have a big heartīs desire. I canīt fulfill it by myself, because it is about 130,000 USD. Is there anybody, who can subsidize me (with some Dollars) ??? My paypal-account is cinderella.2011@web.de. If you have any other ideas, where I can get so much money, please let me know. Iīll be in Santa Barbara in October this year.

She didn't even say what her big desire is???????

I thought it was the 130,000USD?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Amara

« Reply #1141 on: July 28, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »
Heh. I flagged her and I am sure others will as well. This town has an unfortunate number of street beggars--most of them not helpless, simply freeloaders--that won't make her begging easy if she does come here with thoughts of money flowing toward her since many of us locals have gotten very hard core about them.

I must say, however, that it is kind of tempting to write her, "Well, I have only $10,000 I can offer but will that help?" >:D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:53:59 PM by Amara »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1142 on: July 29, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »
Our local freecycle mods posted this morning:

Effective August 1, 2013 we will no longer allow the exchange of living creatures here in freecycle.

Thank You,
The Mods

Amara

« Reply #1143 on: July 29, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
Good, Ladyknight!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1144 on: July 30, 2013, 05:18:47 PM »
Not anything specific, but i thought you all might get a kick out of it. I have a friend who I swear lives in a cave, under a rock. She has many interesting "ideas" and theories about many things. She will also periodically  send me something she has just discovered, like its the newest, greatest thing EVER! things that are generally common knowledge.  today's email was asking me if I had ever heard of Freecycle, she had just discovered it, and wow, isn't it wonderful! you can get things FREE, and so on.

I told her yes, i've known about it for quite some time, but while it may be great for some, its not all sunshine and roses, and included a link to this thread, since I know she wouldn't believe me if i told her stories of freecycle nonesense.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #1145 on: July 30, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »
On my freecycle, if one person posts a Wanted or Offer of item X, often you will see a slew of requests for same item.

A few days ago, a woman desperately posted that her freezer had gone out and she needed a freezer NOW as she had no funds to replace the food.  (I do not know if she got one, but I hope friends came to her aid.)

Anyway, once or twice for the past few days, people have been asking for fridges or freezers.

Not outrageous, but it does smell just a hint of, "hmmm, wonder if that one person's post made a few people think of their item X and maybe they want to get rid of it...does not hurt to ask!"

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

wheeitsme

« Reply #1146 on: July 31, 2013, 12:51:30 AM »
On my freecycle, if one person posts a Wanted or Offer of item X, often you will see a slew of requests for same item.

A few days ago, a woman desperately posted that her freezer had gone out and she needed a freezer NOW as she had no funds to replace the food.  (I do not know if she got one, but I hope friends came to her aid.)

Anyway, once or twice for the past few days, people have been asking for fridges or freezers.

Not outrageous, but it does smell just a hint of, "hmmm, wonder if that one person's post made a few people think of their item X and maybe they want to get rid of it...does not hurt to ask!"

Or...
If someone needs it and I get it first then I can sell it to them.

Sometimes people are not nice.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #1147 on: August 01, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »

Yes, that's EXACTLY it.  One person's offer makes a whole bunch of people think how much they want one, but someone else got it, so then they all post a WANTED for the exact same thing.  Happens all the time.

Amara

« Reply #1148 on: August 01, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
A bit odd. Last night I found an email from someone from my Freecycle group asking for the lot of books I was giving away in my last post. The one that was originally posted about three weeks ago and deleted about two weeks ago. I didn't bother to answer.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1149 on: August 02, 2013, 11:24:02 PM »
NSFW language in this one making the rounds (I found it via Wil Wheaton) but the "ps I also babysit" absolutely makes it for me.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #1150 on: August 03, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
I laughed so hard I think I hurt myself.  Now I want Hot Pockets.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #1151 on: August 03, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
NSFW language in this one making the rounds (I found it via Wil Wheaton) but the "ps I also babysit" absolutely makes it for me.

I think I'm in love :-*
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

CakeBeret

« Reply #1152 on: August 05, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »

I do love a good Craigslist humor post. I read one roommate ad awhile back that had me hysterical.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #1153 on: August 05, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »
http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/3878624212.html

Here's a funny one my DH sent me this morning for a 1993 Saturn sedan. "The windows have remined mercilessly un-tinted for 20 years so that members of the opposite sex can revel in your awesomeness."

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #1154 on: August 05, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »
http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/3878624212.html

Here's a funny one my DH sent me this morning for a 1993 Saturn sedan. "The windows have remined mercilessly un-tinted for 20 years so that members of the opposite sex can revel in your awesomeness."

My favorite part is "Purchased for 16 yr old that couldn't keep up his end of the bargain grade wise. See what mediocrity gets you? It gets you Saturnless and afoot. "
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz