Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 190965 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1170 on: August 09, 2013, 02:46:51 PM »
I'm currently job hunting.  I applied for an Exec Admin role posted on Craigslist, nothing too special about the ad.

Yippee, I got a response!  Except, in spite of including my cover letter, the 'job' was to have my car shrink wrapped to advertise energy drinks.  Umm, I'm 41, begrudgingly drag myself to Curves periodically, and could stand to lose 40 pounds.  No one would buy an energy drink from me (brownies, cupcakes, mint juleps, sure -- exercise suppliments and the newest Gatorade, heck no!)

Hey, it's money...

Unless you later end up posting about this in the scammers thread.

I've heard of services that do that. I've considered doing it myself, but am not sure how my current employer might feel about it.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1171 on: August 13, 2013, 02:08:29 AM »
Just saw one. "Wanted: flat screen TV, at least 45"." Hey, me too!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1172 on: September 08, 2013, 11:52:19 AM »
I posted some lamps (needed rewiring - got more requests than I expected) to Freecycle.  I'm still not sure what the random looking blocks of letters & numerals were in the last post (which I replied to asking them what they were trying to say) meant - but I did let them know that the lamps had been picked up.

Then I deleted the post - because it was NOT making any sense, even if I tried reading it out loud.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #1173 on: September 08, 2013, 05:49:31 PM »
I posted some lamps (needed rewiring - got more requests than I expected) to Freecycle.  I'm still not sure what the random looking blocks of letters & numerals were in the last post (which I replied to asking them what they were trying to say) meant - but I did let them know that the lamps had been picked up.

Then I deleted the post - because it was NOT making any sense, even if I tried reading it out loud.....
That person probably needed the lamps more than anyone else!  He couldn't even see to type.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1174 on: September 08, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »

That person probably needed the lamps more than anyone else!  He couldn't even see to type.

Maybe - but at that point, they'd already been picked up (left them sitting on the porch)!  And it was still daylight!

cmurf1960

« Reply #1175 on: October 11, 2013, 01:47:11 PM »
I've seen a few doozies on our local Freecycle.  Some people have asked for Kitchen Aid stand mixers and VitaMix blenders.    I don't think they ever got them, there were no RECEIVED messages, and those things are expensive, anyway.

Then there was this guy named Jeffrey who said that his wife was having a baby in two weeks, and they had NOTHING except for "a couple of outfits".  he then gave a very long list of stuff they "needed".  I don't see a problem per se with asking for baby stuff on Freecycle, as a lot of people do have it to give away, when their own kids outgrown it and they decide they are done having kids.  But waiting until TWO WEEKS before the baby is due to start asking?  Why didn't they start looking for stuff as soon as they found out about the pregnancy?

The most outrageous request, though, was for a very specific make and model of DSLR camera.  Out of curiosity, I did a search on Amazon for it, and they went for over $700 new, and $300-$400 used.

I tried to give away an old Virgin Mobile BlackBerry cell phone that I was no longer using.  In my post, I stressed that the phone would ONLY work with Virgin Mobile's pre-paid service, could NOT be unlocked to use with another carrier as there is no SIM card, and I also mentioned what the monthly service costs with VM.  The mod cut most of this info out, to my annoyance.

The first response I got was from the aforementioned Jeffrey.  He thought I was also giving away free phone service with the phone.  Needless to say, I wasn't going to give it to him.  The next response was from a woman named April.  When she emailed me, I happened to be at a baseball game and was not checking my email.  When I did check it, I saw that she emailed me three times within an hour and a half, each email ruder than the last, calling ME rude for not daring to have a life where I don't check my email every five minutes.  Another person who was NOT getting the phone.  I decided not to give it to anyone on Freecycle, and I also blocked April's email address, just because she was so rude and annoying.  If I ever do decide to give anything else away there, she certainly won't be getting it.

After I posted the TAKEN and the mod let it go through, I got another email from Jeffrey, asking if I still had the phone.  His email address got blocked, too.

I actually have TWO VM BlackBerry phones to give away, as my husband finally upgraded to an Android a few weeks ago.  A few friends suggested that I donate the phones to a battered women's shelter, so I will probably do that.  Better to a worthy cause, than to people who are greedy and grabby and ask for more than you are willing to give away.

Not sure if I will try Freecycle again.  I did once give away one of those digital converter boxes (the ones that the government was giving coupons for, back when they were switching over from analog to digital TV).  We decided to get cable, plus we got new digital TVs, so we didn't need the boxes we had any longer.  A woman posted a WANTED for such a box, she wanted to give it to her elderly mother so she could watch over-the-air TV on an older set.  I offered her one of mine, and even threw in a cable to hook it up with.  She showed up right on time, thanked me profusely, and then posted a RECEIVED thanking me again, she said it worked great and was exactly what she was looking for.  So there are some good, appreciative Freecyclers out there.  It's just the Jeffreys and Aprils of the world who kind of ruin things for everybody else.

Amara

« Reply #1176 on: October 11, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
I am in the same place as you--running into rude Freecyclers and deciding that the thrift store where I buy stuff will now get all my cast-offs. I'm done dealing with Freecycle except on rare occasions.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1177 on: October 11, 2013, 06:21:18 PM »
Two weeks ago a single mom posted a request for plus size clothing to start a new job - she was not going to have any money for weeks to buy things that would work - going through a divorce & getting her first job in a while.

I had some basic things that would work for almost any "professional job" - business casual slacks, tops, and skirts in her requested size range in basic colors (black slacks, gray slacks, black faux suede skirt, etc.).  It's been two weeks since I bagged things & sent her my phone number.

The bag came out of my car today and the clothes are going back in my closet (one storage tub each of "almost fits" and "out of season").  No contact means she's not interested enough or she lives far enough away that she's looking for "stuff" closer to her....

I may go through the two tubs to see if I can winnow them down to one tub & take the fall & winter clothes to the local Goodwill. It's getting cool enough that turquoise or lime green cotton blend Capri pants aren't going to be very popular with most buyers.

The summer stuff can be bagged and dropped off around the end of March 2014!

cmurf1960

« Reply #1178 on: October 13, 2013, 10:59:38 PM »
This was on my local Freecycle today:

"WANTED: Wanted ** Droid 4 (Manchester NH)
Message 1 of 1 , Today at 1:04 PM
Looking for a Verizon Droid 4.. I broke my girlfriends by accident and
cant seem to find one for under 200 dollars which is a crazy price.. If
you have one and can help, please call me at 603-xxx-xxxx Dave Thanks
ahead of time"

I have seen "Droid 4" phones at lower prices, but they are all different models.  I'm guessing here that the particular one that he broke is a more expensive one, if he can't find one for under $200.  If it really is that costly, how can he expect someone to just give it away?  I'm guessing that she is still under contract and it's way too soon to be eligible for an upgrade, and that is why a new phone costs so much.

I think that this Dave dude needs to suck it up and just replace the phone he broke.  You break someone else's stuff, you pay for it.  If he doesn't, he may well find himself with an EX-girlfriend.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1179 on: October 15, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »
This just came up on the local Freecycle-type list:

"Free Large Green insulated pizza bag from <large well-known pizza chain>.  Excellent condition, just needs wiping down."

Is it stolen, is it old stock in a style the restaurant no longer uses? I have no idea.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

HorseFreak

« Reply #1180 on: October 15, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »
This was on my local Freecycle today:

"WANTED: Wanted ** Droid 4 (Manchester NH)
Message 1 of 1 , Today at 1:04 PM
Looking for a Verizon Droid 4.. I broke my girlfriends by accident and
cant seem to find one for under 200 dollars which is a crazy price.. If
you have one and can help, please call me at 603-xxx-xxxx Dave Thanks
ahead of time"

I have seen "Droid 4" phones at lower prices, but they are all different models.  I'm guessing here that the particular one that he broke is a more expensive one, if he can't find one for under $200.  If it really is that costly, how can he expect someone to just give it away?  I'm guessing that she is still under contract and it's way too soon to be eligible for an upgrade, and that is why a new phone costs so much.

I think that this Dave dude needs to suck it up and just replace the phone he broke.  You break someone else's stuff, you pay for it.  If he doesn't, he may well find himself with an EX-girlfriend.

Of course they're $200- that phone retailed for over $400 without a contract! Mine was $150 with a two year contract. Like heck if I would give it up for free.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1181 on: October 17, 2013, 11:41:30 PM »
I cleaned out MY side of the master closet the other morning & posted the size Large clothes to Freecycle.  After four requests, I put a post out saying that I had "enough" requests and the bag was pending pickup.  I still had more people asking about them(not many more).  The person picking them up mentioned that she and a friend are diet buddies, the friend needs size L now or really soon (basic clothes in there for any time of year - black, navy, & gray pants, black denim jeans, blue denim jeans, etc.) - so they will be used and then passed along again, I'm sure.

I can't quite put my finger on why - but certain phrases bug the heck out of me because they feel "over the top" when someone mentions what a PERFECT example of timing my post is because they really need a left handed brass flibbertigibbet (to make up something) and here I have posted one to give away, it must be meant for them! 

Or the post comes in literally thirty seconds after I hit "post" on the website asking "do you still have the thing and can I have it?" without any indication which thing it is (except the original title and the Re: in front of it in the subject line) - I tend to ignore those because I suspect that they are asking for anything & everything with an eye to posting it for sale or just grabbing the position of first in line and deciding later whether or not it is worth their time & gas to go pick it up or if they can try to talk me into bringing it to them so that they can decide if they REALLY want it or not.

If you don't mention that you NEED or can use what I posted - then how can I tell if you really need the item?

And the person who asked where the Windows 7 installation disks were for the computer that had a Windows XP sticker on it?  Well - I have no idea what they thought that they had read.  But the guy who was there for the odds & ends of computer parts took that one, too - he was going to install an OS and a larger hard drive in it, see if he could max out the RAM, and donate it to a school or church program for the elderly - or whoever could use it. 

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #1182 on: October 18, 2013, 02:02:20 AM »
This woman wanted a refrigerator, chest freezer, a washer and a dryer. You see, she's moving into a new home and got rid of the old ones because they were tainted with the karma of her ex-husband. And she needs all of those things for her children.

Perhaps if she really needed them so badly, she wouldn't have gotten rid of the set she already had.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1183 on: October 18, 2013, 05:33:34 AM »
This woman wanted a refrigerator, chest freezer, a washer and a dryer. You see, she's moving into a new home and got rid of the old ones because they were tainted with the karma of her ex-husband. And she needs all of those things for her children.

Perhaps if she really needed them so badly, she wouldn't have gotten rid of the set she already had.

Maybe I'm thinking too logically here, but couldn't she have sold them if she had such bad memories?? And put that money towards good used ones instead of asking for free, which she isn't likely to get?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

darling

« Reply #1184 on: October 18, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »

Maybe I'm thinking too logically here, but couldn't she have sold them if she had such bad memories?? And put that money towards good used ones instead of asking for free, which she isn't likely to get?

Yes, but that would require logic...  ;)