Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 197820 times)

deadbody

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1185 on: October 18, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
This woman wanted a refrigerator, chest freezer, a washer and a dryer. You see, she's moving into a new home and got rid of the old ones because they were tainted with the karma of her ex-husband. And she needs all of those things for her children.

Perhaps if she really needed them so badly, she wouldn't have gotten rid of the set she already had.

Maybe I'm thinking too logically here, but couldn't she have sold them if she had such bad memories?? And put that money towards good used ones instead of asking for free, which she isn't likely to get?

Yes, but that would require logic...  ;)

But...but...but....They were Karmicly tainted.  Would you want to sell something that could taint someone like that?  I wouldn't. 

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #1186 on: October 18, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »
Especially if the ex got the house and the appliances with it...

cmurf1960

« Reply #1187 on: October 21, 2013, 12:29:02 AM »
Somebody asked for a dining table the other day - MUST BE ANTIQUE, none of that new Chinese-made junk, she said.  Sheesh, lady, if you need a table to eat from, you take what you can get, when it is free.

Another woman wanted gun magazines because her kid needed pics from them for a school project.  I have no idea what kind of a school project would require such a thing; it just seemed odd to me.

I'm just waiting for the Christmas shopping want lists to start appearing.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1188 on: October 21, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
We are going to start posting wanted ads for wood scraps, for different small projects. I have been seeing a lot of wanted for electronic game systems, that would generally cost more than $400 at the store.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1189 on: October 23, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
I posted Halloween costumes the other day - so far one person has thought that it was $10 for all four (ha, ha, ha, nope - $40 for all four) and another one thought I was in Kingswood - which is at least a thirty mile drive away THROUGH the heart of Houston, Texas - so a lot longer than 30 minutes.  Not worth it for two of the costumes, unless she "meets me halfway". (And she decided that SHE wasn't driving all the way to Sugar Land - my ad mentions my location - so why she replied to it, thinking that I was close to where she lives, I have no earthly idea.)

Plus sized costumes - althugh I think they are closer to 16W/18W than the 16W through 22W that the package states "will fit....".  Because I bought them just before moving, didn't try them on again until after Thanksgiving & Christmas had passed (and even the leftovers had been eaten) - I never washed them, so I can't claim that they shrank. 

((sigh))  There is a reason I'm selling them...I really don't expect to be 1) that size again soon or 2) be willing to wear the "sexy" versions of these costumes if they ever do come close to fitting.  I'd rather make one that I know is of sturdier fabric...fits better...and can be worn to a Rennaissance Faire, not just Halloween!

In fact, I bought some purple stretch panne velvet yesterday to make a costume to wear to the October Red Hat meeting AND the Renn Faire (depending on the weather - it will not be a summer costume to wear to Atlanta in May or June).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:18:14 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cmurf1960

« Reply #1190 on: October 26, 2013, 11:00:19 PM »
WANTED: i need a iphone mine is broken
i need a phone and my parent are not going to buy me one cuz they want me to work for one

Well, then get a job and WORK for one, you stupid brat!  Sheesh!

Cherry91

« Reply #1191 on: October 28, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
We are going to start posting wanted ads for wood scraps, for different small projects. I have been seeing a lot of wanted for electronic game systems, that would generally cost more than $400 at the store.

The PS4 and Xbox One are due out this month. What are the odds loads of people ask for the previous generation of consoles, because after all, they're "worthless" now?

Amara

« Reply #1192 on: November 04, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
I can't resist sharing these two "Housing Sought" ads on my Craigslist. Such special people shouldn't have to do something as mundane as pay rent, should they? ::) (Ads are copied as written.)

It's BOLD yet, it's true. I truly understand that I'm here to have a positive impact in this community which will ripple out into our global community. It's my hearts calling and sole mission is to create lasting, positive, transformational change.

I am seeking a host to provide a comfortable, peaceful place where I can live in inspiration and serve as the launching pad for the work that I do. I could give you many reasons why you would want to host someone like me and explain at length how much your life will be positively impacted by opening your heart and home to me. Instead I am trusting that the exact person who knows you are the one and this is the time will reply and in life's perfection, we will meet and be that change we wish to see in the world.

Thank You for answering the call :)

I'm launching a tv network startup and I'm looking for a room to stay with someone for two to three months. Smart, organized, neat, minimal. Glad to help out. Nice guy, nice clothes, small cute car, nice to have around, polite, intelligent. Thanks!

Great with people, families, church. Ok.

Need bed, privacy, wifi. I am quiet. I prefer a polite, safe, appreciative, quiet, family, nature or work atmosphere.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1193 on: November 04, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »
I bet people are lighting up their phones with offers.

I guess it is so old school to pay one's own rent.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1194 on: November 04, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »
Anyone asking for nearly new electronics (phone, game system, laptop, tablet, or whatever - sometimes the specs mean it is going to have to be new to match their "needs") for FREE because they need it for school, looking for job, foster kid(s), grandkids that they raising, or any other "please help this poor, deprived person who NEEDS this expensive item for whatever reason" type of sob story.

Umm...I worked my way through college, worked for years, and complain about the price of these things - if I want to spend my money to get myself a new "toy" - I might...or I might look for a used toy to save money.  I don't go begging people to give me THEIR toy!  I've got some self respect (and parents who would still wallop my greedy little backside even though they are both in their 70s). 

Yes, I just read another one recently in the local Freecycle, why do you ask?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amara

« Reply #1195 on: November 04, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
And the begging holiday season begins!

Phoebelion

« Reply #1196 on: November 04, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »
Freecycle has all but died in my area.  I wonder if it had anything to do with the moderator? :P

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1197 on: November 04, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
Amara, would it be wrong to assume that the first person seeking lodging in your post has a name like Unicorn Moonbeam? 

S/he would probably want to smudge your house before moving in. 

Thanks for posting this.  It gave me a good giggle. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:36:57 PM by Thipu1 »

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1198 on: November 04, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
Freecycle has all but died in my area.  I wonder if it had anything to do with the moderator? :P

Check for other, similar programs. In our area, Freecycle had a bit of a civil war a while back, and many of the mods left Freecycle, started another group, and took their lists with them.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Amara

« Reply #1199 on: November 04, 2013, 10:51:33 PM »
Amara, would it be wrong to assume that the first person seeking lodging in your post has a name like Unicorn Moonbeam?

Hmm, it might be worth asking.  ;D

ETA: You know that 419 website where scambaiters take on scammers and distract them from their money-making ventures by playing on their greed? Well, I have admit I just had a vision of me playing this guy (I am assuming) like that. I even ran it out in my head. So delicious, so amusing, so deserving.

Bad Amara!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:03:53 PM by Amara »