Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 206334 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1185 on: October 21, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
We are going to start posting wanted ads for wood scraps, for different small projects. I have been seeing a lot of wanted for electronic game systems, that would generally cost more than $400 at the store.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1186 on: October 23, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
I posted Halloween costumes the other day - so far one person has thought that it was $10 for all four (ha, ha, ha, nope - $40 for all four) and another one thought I was in Kingswood - which is at least a thirty mile drive away THROUGH the heart of Houston, Texas - so a lot longer than 30 minutes.  Not worth it for two of the costumes, unless she "meets me halfway". (And she decided that SHE wasn't driving all the way to Sugar Land - my ad mentions my location - so why she replied to it, thinking that I was close to where she lives, I have no earthly idea.)

Plus sized costumes - althugh I think they are closer to 16W/18W than the 16W through 22W that the package states "will fit....".  Because I bought them just before moving, didn't try them on again until after Thanksgiving & Christmas had passed (and even the leftovers had been eaten) - I never washed them, so I can't claim that they shrank. 

((sigh))  There is a reason I'm selling them...I really don't expect to be 1) that size again soon or 2) be willing to wear the "sexy" versions of these costumes if they ever do come close to fitting.  I'd rather make one that I know is of sturdier fabric...fits better...and can be worn to a Rennaissance Faire, not just Halloween!

In fact, I bought some purple stretch panne velvet yesterday to make a costume to wear to the October Red Hat meeting AND the Renn Faire (depending on the weather - it will not be a summer costume to wear to Atlanta in May or June).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:18:14 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cmurf1960

« Reply #1187 on: October 26, 2013, 11:00:19 PM »
WANTED: i need a iphone mine is broken
i need a phone and my parent are not going to buy me one cuz they want me to work for one

Well, then get a job and WORK for one, you stupid brat!  Sheesh!

Cherry91

« Reply #1188 on: October 28, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
We are going to start posting wanted ads for wood scraps, for different small projects. I have been seeing a lot of wanted for electronic game systems, that would generally cost more than $400 at the store.

The PS4 and Xbox One are due out this month. What are the odds loads of people ask for the previous generation of consoles, because after all, they're "worthless" now?

Amara

« Reply #1189 on: November 04, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
I can't resist sharing these two "Housing Sought" ads on my Craigslist. Such special people shouldn't have to do something as mundane as pay rent, should they? ::) (Ads are copied as written.)

It's BOLD yet, it's true. I truly understand that I'm here to have a positive impact in this community which will ripple out into our global community. It's my hearts calling and sole mission is to create lasting, positive, transformational change.

I am seeking a host to provide a comfortable, peaceful place where I can live in inspiration and serve as the launching pad for the work that I do. I could give you many reasons why you would want to host someone like me and explain at length how much your life will be positively impacted by opening your heart and home to me. Instead I am trusting that the exact person who knows you are the one and this is the time will reply and in life's perfection, we will meet and be that change we wish to see in the world.

Thank You for answering the call :)

I'm launching a tv network startup and I'm looking for a room to stay with someone for two to three months. Smart, organized, neat, minimal. Glad to help out. Nice guy, nice clothes, small cute car, nice to have around, polite, intelligent. Thanks!

Great with people, families, church. Ok.

Need bed, privacy, wifi. I am quiet. I prefer a polite, safe, appreciative, quiet, family, nature or work atmosphere.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1190 on: November 04, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »
I bet people are lighting up their phones with offers.

I guess it is so old school to pay one's own rent.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1191 on: November 04, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »
Anyone asking for nearly new electronics (phone, game system, laptop, tablet, or whatever - sometimes the specs mean it is going to have to be new to match their "needs") for FREE because they need it for school, looking for job, foster kid(s), grandkids that they raising, or any other "please help this poor, deprived person who NEEDS this expensive item for whatever reason" type of sob story.

Umm...I worked my way through college, worked for years, and complain about the price of these things - if I want to spend my money to get myself a new "toy" - I might...or I might look for a used toy to save money.  I don't go begging people to give me THEIR toy!  I've got some self respect (and parents who would still wallop my greedy little backside even though they are both in their 70s). 

Yes, I just read another one recently in the local Freecycle, why do you ask?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amara

« Reply #1192 on: November 04, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
And the begging holiday season begins!

Phoebelion

« Reply #1193 on: November 04, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »
Freecycle has all but died in my area.  I wonder if it had anything to do with the moderator? :P

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1194 on: November 04, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
Amara, would it be wrong to assume that the first person seeking lodging in your post has a name like Unicorn Moonbeam? 

S/he would probably want to smudge your house before moving in. 

Thanks for posting this.  It gave me a good giggle. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:36:57 PM by Thipu1 »

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1195 on: November 04, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
Freecycle has all but died in my area.  I wonder if it had anything to do with the moderator? :P

Check for other, similar programs. In our area, Freecycle had a bit of a civil war a while back, and many of the mods left Freecycle, started another group, and took their lists with them.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Amara

« Reply #1196 on: November 04, 2013, 10:51:33 PM »
Amara, would it be wrong to assume that the first person seeking lodging in your post has a name like Unicorn Moonbeam?

Hmm, it might be worth asking.  ;D

ETA: You know that 419 website where scambaiters take on scammers and distract them from their money-making ventures by playing on their greed? Well, I have admit I just had a vision of me playing this guy (I am assuming) like that. I even ran it out in my head. So delicious, so amusing, so deserving.

Bad Amara!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:03:53 PM by Amara »

Friday

« Reply #1197 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
On the housing requests - not freecycle though...

Background:

I'm an avid participant in couchsurfing.  I both host (mainly) and surf (rarely) and also attend local events.  The site I use is a social media type of site and you can get a feel for the person before agreeing to host/surf with them.

1-4 nights surfing is the average.  Couch surfing is about community, NOT a free place to stay and/or a substitute for a hotel.  You DON'T treat your host like you would hotel staff.  Its accepted that you will interact with your host/surfer.  Surfers have cooked for us, we've had dinner parties, gone to movies together, gone to other events, and even took the most recent one with us on a driving vacation over the weekend to the Wisconsin Dells.

Stories:

1:  I was contacted by a woman who was part of a band for her, her hubby and a bandmate to stay with us Sat/Sun/Mon nights.  I agreed.  Day before, she calls me and changes it to just staying with us the Monday night.  they have to leave town early on tuesday.  .  Ok... I suppose, we'll socialize on Monday evening (I work M-F, days).  Monday comes... I wait for a call (I don't give my address out until surfers are on their way).... nothing... evening comes... nothing.... 11 pm comes, I go to bed.  Wake up in the morning and I have a couple texts and voice mails from her.  Their show (remember, in a band) got done at 1 AM and they expected to come crash with me then.  Totally being treated like a hotel.  Later, I read some comments on her couchsurfing profile left for experiences after mine and found out they did that to other people - changing plans at last minute, being treated like a hotel.  They are no longer active on the site.

2:  A woman sent me an email (not a stay request, that's important) and asked if she could surf with us for a weekend for a con at which she would be selling jewelry, I said sure, go ahead and send me a request.  There's a separate section for requests and it keeps a calendar for you and reminds you.  She didn't.  Apparently she operated on "she said yes in email, so all is good".  i got busy, didn't check that site's email (it used to be awkward) and just keep checking surfing requests.  A few days after her con, she wrote a very nasty feedback about how I told her yes and then let her down, resulting in her having to pay a hotel bill and how she felt I owed her money.  Ok, lots of things wrong with that.  The community is NOT about being a hotel, I didn't actually have a request from her, and it's my house - the community tells you that you can change your mind at any time.  I contacted the site admins and let them know.  THe feedback was quickly removed and then she posted it again!  I contacted them again, they confirmed that I was right and she is also no longer active on the site.

3:  Another person sent me a request for THREE MONTHS.... this is way outside of the guidelines.  I took someone for 5 weeks once - she was a college student here for an unpaid externship and started out asking by saying she'd contribute to utilities and food.  This other person was coming to town for three months for a job and wanted to "experience" the area with people who lived here already.  No offer of compensation.  Also, when I looked at her profile, she had very little feedback from people she stayed with/hosted and a LOT of comments from people she traveled with that betrayed a lot of alcohol and perhaps drug use, as well as comments about urban "exploring" that seemed like vandalism, trespassing, etc. 

4:  I will cut and paste this one.  This person was QUICKLY removed from the site.  I suppose all sites get this sort of thing...

Hi . How are you ?)
I am from Baku . I want to immigrate to Canada . I would like even to find a girl for marriage to stay in Canada . If any help from you i get , i will be glad and pleased for you .
kisses for you , dear )
regards from Azeri Guy.
(p.s: you can see me when i am online)

my response:  I have reported your request to the moderator of this site. This is neither a dating site or a marriage for green card scam site.

I also question your intelligence in sending this request for help scamming citizenship of CANADA to a MARRIED woman living in the UNITED STATES!

Go away, we don't need your type in this pleasant community of like minded travelers.

Amara

« Reply #1198 on: November 18, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
I'd put this in the outrageous category. I just saw this ad in the "Housing Wanted" section and laughed. Suuuuuuuuuuuure, let me get right on this because I know (::)) I will have so much competition to house you for free:

I am described by a friend as about 6 feet tall and 160 pounds, a guy in his fifties that is "differently oriented". I have been living as a homeless man -- what he calls an "Urban Outdoorsman" for quite a while. I appear to be a "deliberately" a "different looking" man with my hair at near-shoulder length and a "distingished-looking" beard but wearing rumpled, slept-in-looking jeans and shirts and jackets. The friend says, "You choose to look like a street-person. I suspect you have a genetic predisposition against anyone claiming authority over you. You choose to live quite a little freer than most of us can tolerate. We 'ordinary humans' think everybody should live inside frame-and-stucco boxes like we do." If you would like to have a helpful, cheerful, nonconformist around, I can cook and clean and drive and run errands and that sort of things in exchange for a spot to be out of the rain and cold.

If you have any interest in meeting at, say, a coffee shop anywhere around Santa Barbara, please reply to this posting which is done by the friend hoping to bring two nice humans mutual benefits. I have a car and a valid California Driver License. If meeting a genuine "homeless street person" -- a real, live Santa Barbara homeless man -- interests you, send an email reply to this posting.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1199 on: November 19, 2013, 12:53:11 PM »
Well, I don't know why people would need to look on craigslist to meet a "genuine homeless man," but somebody willing to cook, clean, and run errands in exchange for a place to stay, that might not be so bad.  :)  Especially if it's more somebody looking for a place to crash, versus somebody needing a room and amenities.