Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 194734 times)

Friday

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1200 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
On the housing requests - not freecycle though...

Background:

I'm an avid participant in couchsurfing.  I both host (mainly) and surf (rarely) and also attend local events.  The site I use is a social media type of site and you can get a feel for the person before agreeing to host/surf with them.

1-4 nights surfing is the average.  Couch surfing is about community, NOT a free place to stay and/or a substitute for a hotel.  You DON'T treat your host like you would hotel staff.  Its accepted that you will interact with your host/surfer.  Surfers have cooked for us, we've had dinner parties, gone to movies together, gone to other events, and even took the most recent one with us on a driving vacation over the weekend to the Wisconsin Dells.

Stories:

1:  I was contacted by a woman who was part of a band for her, her hubby and a bandmate to stay with us Sat/Sun/Mon nights.  I agreed.  Day before, she calls me and changes it to just staying with us the Monday night.  they have to leave town early on tuesday.  .  Ok... I suppose, we'll socialize on Monday evening (I work M-F, days).  Monday comes... I wait for a call (I don't give my address out until surfers are on their way).... nothing... evening comes... nothing.... 11 pm comes, I go to bed.  Wake up in the morning and I have a couple texts and voice mails from her.  Their show (remember, in a band) got done at 1 AM and they expected to come crash with me then.  Totally being treated like a hotel.  Later, I read some comments on her couchsurfing profile left for experiences after mine and found out they did that to other people - changing plans at last minute, being treated like a hotel.  They are no longer active on the site.

2:  A woman sent me an email (not a stay request, that's important) and asked if she could surf with us for a weekend for a con at which she would be selling jewelry, I said sure, go ahead and send me a request.  There's a separate section for requests and it keeps a calendar for you and reminds you.  She didn't.  Apparently she operated on "she said yes in email, so all is good".  i got busy, didn't check that site's email (it used to be awkward) and just keep checking surfing requests.  A few days after her con, she wrote a very nasty feedback about how I told her yes and then let her down, resulting in her having to pay a hotel bill and how she felt I owed her money.  Ok, lots of things wrong with that.  The community is NOT about being a hotel, I didn't actually have a request from her, and it's my house - the community tells you that you can change your mind at any time.  I contacted the site admins and let them know.  THe feedback was quickly removed and then she posted it again!  I contacted them again, they confirmed that I was right and she is also no longer active on the site.

3:  Another person sent me a request for THREE MONTHS.... this is way outside of the guidelines.  I took someone for 5 weeks once - she was a college student here for an unpaid externship and started out asking by saying she'd contribute to utilities and food.  This other person was coming to town for three months for a job and wanted to "experience" the area with people who lived here already.  No offer of compensation.  Also, when I looked at her profile, she had very little feedback from people she stayed with/hosted and a LOT of comments from people she traveled with that betrayed a lot of alcohol and perhaps drug use, as well as comments about urban "exploring" that seemed like vandalism, trespassing, etc. 

4:  I will cut and paste this one.  This person was QUICKLY removed from the site.  I suppose all sites get this sort of thing...

Hi . How are you ?)
I am from Baku . I want to immigrate to Canada . I would like even to find a girl for marriage to stay in Canada . If any help from you i get , i will be glad and pleased for you .
kisses for you , dear )
regards from Azeri Guy.
(p.s: you can see me when i am online)

my response:  I have reported your request to the moderator of this site. This is neither a dating site or a marriage for green card scam site.

I also question your intelligence in sending this request for help scamming citizenship of CANADA to a MARRIED woman living in the UNITED STATES!

Go away, we don't need your type in this pleasant community of like minded travelers.

Amara

« Reply #1201 on: November 18, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
I'd put this in the outrageous category. I just saw this ad in the "Housing Wanted" section and laughed. Suuuuuuuuuuuure, let me get right on this because I know (::)) I will have so much competition to house you for free:

I am described by a friend as about 6 feet tall and 160 pounds, a guy in his fifties that is "differently oriented". I have been living as a homeless man -- what he calls an "Urban Outdoorsman" for quite a while. I appear to be a "deliberately" a "different looking" man with my hair at near-shoulder length and a "distingished-looking" beard but wearing rumpled, slept-in-looking jeans and shirts and jackets. The friend says, "You choose to look like a street-person. I suspect you have a genetic predisposition against anyone claiming authority over you. You choose to live quite a little freer than most of us can tolerate. We 'ordinary humans' think everybody should live inside frame-and-stucco boxes like we do." If you would like to have a helpful, cheerful, nonconformist around, I can cook and clean and drive and run errands and that sort of things in exchange for a spot to be out of the rain and cold.

If you have any interest in meeting at, say, a coffee shop anywhere around Santa Barbara, please reply to this posting which is done by the friend hoping to bring two nice humans mutual benefits. I have a car and a valid California Driver License. If meeting a genuine "homeless street person" -- a real, live Santa Barbara homeless man -- interests you, send an email reply to this posting.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1202 on: November 19, 2013, 12:53:11 PM »
Well, I don't know why people would need to look on craigslist to meet a "genuine homeless man," but somebody willing to cook, clean, and run errands in exchange for a place to stay, that might not be so bad.  :)  Especially if it's more somebody looking for a place to crash, versus somebody needing a room and amenities.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1203 on: November 19, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »
For a non-conformist, the "Urban Outdoorsman" is very hung up on what his friend has to say about him. His friend describes him as "about 6 feet tall and 160 pounds"? Is that his actual height and weight, or just what his friend thinks?

I wonder if he's living on the friend's sofa, and friend is dictating this over his shoulder, hoping that some other person will take the leech nonconformist off his hands.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

magicdomino

« Reply #1204 on: November 19, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
For a non-conformist, the "Urban Outdoorsman" is very hung up on what his friend has to say about him. His friend describes him as "about 6 feet tall and 160 pounds"? Is that his actual height and weight, or just what his friend thinks?

I wonder if he's living on the friend's sofa, and friend is dictating this over his shoulder, hoping that some other person will take the leech nonconformist off his hands.

I was wondering why this complementry friend hadn't already taken him in.  Who wouldn't want an Urban Outdoorsman in their spare bedroom?  Perhaps Friend now feels that it is time for the Urban Outdoorsman to move on, lest he become bound to one spot and lose his freedom.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1205 on: November 19, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »
I couldn't possibly offer him a room. After all, if he had a room and a spot out of the rain, he wouldn't be an Urban Outdoorsman anymore and would be complying with the standards of the masses. I couldn't possibly do that to a "differently oriented" individual, it would be disrespectful of his identity.

Miss March

« Reply #1206 on: December 03, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »
I didn't find this on Craigslist, but rather on CNN.

A homeless man is offering people the chance to take a 'course in homelessness.' For $2,000, he will give you a three day 'guided tour' of being homeless.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/02/pf/homeless-tour/

The article did say that no one had taken him up on the offer as yet.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Mollie

« Reply #1207 on: December 05, 2013, 10:23:05 PM »
saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bks/4177679812.html

You can have books sung to you by the prophets. Isn't that amazing?

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #1208 on: December 06, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »
I think he's talking out of his Kiester.   >:D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1209 on: December 06, 2013, 09:49:19 AM »

A homeless man is offering people the chance to take a 'course in homelessness.' For $2,000, he will give you a three day 'guided tour' of being homeless.

Actually, I think this is a clever idea. There are a lot of people who talk about the homeless, but if you could at one time help one out, and learn about their issues at the same time, I'm not going to say it's outrageous.

He may have to study finding the right price point, though.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #1210 on: December 06, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »

Actually, I think this is a clever idea. There are a lot of people who talk about the homeless, but if you could at one time help one out, and learn about their issues at the same time, I'm not going to say it's outrageous.

POD.  :)  It's creative.
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Redwing

« Reply #1211 on: December 06, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »

POD.  :)  It's creative.

Creative and enterprising.  When my daughter was getting her MSW, she was required to spend a weekend as a homeless person.  The school had made arrangements with the local homeless shelter for their stay there, but during the day she lived on the street.  She learned a lot from that experience.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #1212 on: December 06, 2013, 10:50:51 AM »
I know that Christmas Is Coming when my local Freecycle lights up with requests for Ipods, video games, musical instruments...

...and then there's the woman who needs everything - furniture, housewares, white goods - for her new apartment and oh by the way you'll need to deliver it, too.

MissRose

« Reply #1213 on: December 06, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »
Makes me glad I belong to a FB page where people know that most things are not going to be free if there are in search of something.  Although, it doesn't stop some people from making very low offers on certain items.

Amara

« Reply #1214 on: December 06, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »
You're right, mrs_deb. The e-begging ramps up to stratospheric heights in November and December. I admit I find their assumption that I have no one to give all my expensive things to amusing so I read them before I flag them.