Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 191552 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1215 on: December 06, 2013, 12:54:34 PM »
You're right, mrs_deb. The e-begging ramps up to stratospheric heights in November and December. I admit I find their assumption that I have no one to give all my expensive things to amusing so I read them before I flag them.

I don't allow that sort of thing on my Freecycle group.  No begging, no sob stories, and for heaven's sake, we are NOT there to provide Christmas for your family!    Freecycle is not a charity, although the end result is often the same. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1216 on: December 06, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »
Either my local reuseit group's mods keep a very tight behind-the-scenes leash on that sort of thing, or I may be part of the sanest freecycle-ish group around! I've seen amazing offers (like the free washer & dryer my husband & I got a few years ago) and the occasional unusual request, but nothing totally bizarre or seemingly greedy.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #1217 on: December 15, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
From today's Freecycle email digest:

I need a laptop for school. I'm currently at the Philippines. 2nd hand
laptop is ok. If possible pls ship t. Thanks

Yeah, I'll get right on that.   ::)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1218 on: December 15, 2013, 09:22:51 PM »
We had someone looking for a Roku for a Xmas gift the other day.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #1219 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »
It was late this year, but I got my first 'Please provide a nice Christmas for my poor children' post.   Yeah, it was rejected.  That's not allowed on Freecycle.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #1220 on: December 16, 2013, 09:54:43 AM »
We had someone looking for a Roku for a Xmas gift the other day.

Woot and Amazon have had those heavily discounted recently, too.  Spend your own money, cheapskate!

darling

« Reply #1221 on: December 18, 2013, 09:26:07 AM »
This is on offer on our county freecycle. I'm whiting it out, as I needed brain bleach after seeing it. Some things you should throw away!

OFFER: feminine cleanser

I had trouble getting re listed to freecycle so listed this in xxxxx Co
- duplicate listing to xxxxxxx. This was used 2x which sounds gross but
actually the way it's designed has a lot more use in it. Intimore.

CRIVINS!????  :o :o :o

Desdemona

« Reply #1222 on: December 18, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »
WANTED: In need of a companion dog
Dog must be hyperallergenic my fiance is allergic, prefer young
adult, recently retired due to health problems, needed to keep my
from going bananas.

That showed up on my local Freecycle today. I worry that the person couldn't afford to keep a dog if they are looking for a free dog instead of rescuing one and paying those fees. I know there a lot of rescue groups around here and some are for dog breeds that are hypoallergenic and the adoption fees at the groups I've looked at are not very high. It also seems unlikely that a person is looking to give away a young adult, hypoallergenic dog.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #1223 on: December 18, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
from going bananas.

That showed up on my local Freecycle today. I worry that the person couldn't afford to keep a dog if they are looking for a free dog instead of rescuing one and paying those fees. I know there a lot of rescue groups around here and some are for dog breeds that are hypoallergenic and the adoption fees at the groups I've looked at are not very high. It also seems unlikely that a person is looking to give away a young adult, hypoallergenic dog.

There is also no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog anyway. I know people market dogs that way, but it is hype. Dogs that don't shed leave less dander in the air, but they still have dander. Some people can tolerate certain dogs better than other, but the only way to know is to live with that specific dog...not just a dog of that same breed.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypoallergenic-dog-breeds/AN01953
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hypoallergenic-dogs-wont-help-allergy-sufferers-much-says-study/

amylouky

« Reply #1224 on: December 18, 2013, 01:16:25 PM »
from going bananas.

I don't know.. money isn't the only thing that could keep someone from being able to adopt from a rescue. I'm sure the different rescues have different rules, but a friend of mine was unable to adopt from a big one here in my town because she and her boyfriend lived together. They said it wasn't a stable home environment. For the dog.  ::)

cwm

« Reply #1225 on: December 18, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »
from going bananas.

I don't know.. money isn't the only thing that could keep someone from being able to adopt from a rescue. I'm sure the different rescues have different rules, but a friend of mine was unable to adopt from a big one here in my town because she and her boyfriend lived together. They said it wasn't a stable home environment. For the dog.  ::)

We have a rescue group that won't let you adopt a dog within a set timeframe if you returned a dog to the shelter. So if your dog couldn't handle the new baby and you took it to a shelter to give it a chance at a new happy home without children, you were automatically ineligible for taking a dog home. Because you're obviously not going to care for it and give it a loving home, I mean you returned the last one, right?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1226 on: December 18, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »
From my area in the last month - several people asking for "free" smartphones from a particular carrier to replace a broken one - but they are posting from a Galaxy S...if nobody has a free smartphone, then they guess any cell phone from that carrier will work.

Gee - too bad I turned in my five years old and older phones from that carrier for recycling - or I'd have something that they could use.

The woman who NEEDS a 32" or larger tv for her grandmother who has vision problems.  Sorry - the only "spare" tv of that size that we have had something break in it and it now has great audio and a flat horizontal line of color down the middle of the tube where the picture "collapsed".  Probably not going to work.  I do have a "spare" but it's ONLY 15" diagonally (although it has a built in DVD player in the base AND can use batteries - or it could if I knew where VorGuy hid the battery adapter base).

Rear projection TV - they are looking for parts from one that doesn't work to use in a science fair project - I just don't have a rear projection TV...wonder if I could find the Fresnel lens that we bought 25 years ago when VorGuy was planning to build one himself?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Desdemona

« Reply #1227 on: December 18, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »
from going bananas.

I had no idea that rescues organizations would have requirements about how people live together! I wonder what happens in roommate situations. I do still find it an odd request but at least I know there are reasons beyond the ones I thought of.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1228 on: December 18, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »
from going bananas.

I had no idea that rescues organizations would have requirements about how people live together! I wonder what happens in roommate situations. I do still find it an odd request but at least I know there are reasons beyond the ones I thought of.

There are some rescue organizations that have ridiculous requirements and it seems like they aren't nearly as interested in placing the animals as they should be. I think the "not married but living together" is definitely one of them. Another is "refuses to have a doggie door" - especially when we are talking about a large breed dog where a doggie door is big enough for a person to climb through.

I am torn on the "returning an animal to the shelter". I think that needs to be a case by case - there are people who don't want to bother so just give their animals up instead of working with them (I know a few people like that) and I wouldn't adopt out to them once they have their current problem fixed.

Amara

« Reply #1229 on: December 18, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »
Not to defend it but I suspect the "not married but living together" rule has to do with the shelter's experience with unmarried couples breaking up more easily than married couple and the pet being abandoned or let go without much thought.