Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 197368 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1230 on: December 18, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »
WANTED: In need of a companion dog
Dog must be hyperallergenic my fiance is allergic, prefer young
adult, recently retired due to health problems, needed to keep my
from going bananas.

That showed up on my local Freecycle today. I worry that the person couldn't afford to keep a dog if they are looking for a free dog instead of rescuing one and paying those fees. I know there a lot of rescue groups around here and some are for dog breeds that are hypoallergenic and the adoption fees at the groups I've looked at are not very high. It also seems unlikely that a person is looking to give away a young adult, hypoallergenic dog.

I don't know.. money isn't the only thing that could keep someone from being able to adopt from a rescue. I'm sure the different rescues have different rules, but a friend of mine was unable to adopt from a big one here in my town because she and her boyfriend lived together. They said it wasn't a stable home environment. For the dog.  ::)

We have a rescue group that won't let you adopt a dog within a set timeframe if you returned a dog to the shelter. So if your dog couldn't handle the new baby and you took it to a shelter to give it a chance at a new happy home without children, you were automatically ineligible for taking a dog home. Because you're obviously not going to care for it and give it a loving home, I mean you returned the last one, right?

We were told we'd be ineligible for a local rescue because I found a stray, took it in for the weekend, and came to drop it off that Monday.  I took it to the vet first and paid for shots, but since I "abandoned my dog" I won't be able to adopt a dog from them in the future.

That's okay, there are tons of other rescues, and we ended up "trading" the stray for The Dumb Dog at another no-kill shelter which was out of room  :)  (We weren't averse to getting a second dog, but the stray was going to be twice the size of The Smart Dog when she finally got some food in her, and The Smart Dog absolutely did not like her.  He tolerates The Dumb Dog pretty well - tried to assert dominance for a while, but eventually learned she had no idea what he was going on about and just gave up  :P)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1231 on: December 18, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »
WANTED: In need of a companion dog
Dog must be hyperallergenic my fiance is allergic, prefer young
adult, recently retired due to health problems, needed to keep my
from going bananas.

That showed up on my local Freecycle today. I worry that the person couldn't afford to keep a dog if they are looking for a free dog instead of rescuing one and paying those fees. I know there a lot of rescue groups around here and some are for dog breeds that are hypoallergenic and the adoption fees at the groups I've looked at are not very high. It also seems unlikely that a person is looking to give away a young adult, hypoallergenic dog.

I don't know.. money isn't the only thing that could keep someone from being able to adopt from a rescue. I'm sure the different rescues have different rules, but a friend of mine was unable to adopt from a big one here in my town because she and her boyfriend lived together. They said it wasn't a stable home environment. For the dog.  ::)

We have a rescue group that won't let you adopt a dog within a set timeframe if you returned a dog to the shelter. So if your dog couldn't handle the new baby and you took it to a shelter to give it a chance at a new happy home without children, you were automatically ineligible for taking a dog home. Because you're obviously not going to care for it and give it a loving home, I mean you returned the last one, right?

We were told we'd be ineligible for a local rescue because I found a stray, took it in for the weekend, and came to drop it off that Monday.  I took it to the vet first and paid for shots, but since I "abandoned my dog" I won't be able to adopt a dog from them in the future.

That's okay, there are tons of other rescues, and we ended up "trading" the stray for The Dumb Dog at another no-kill shelter which was out of room  :)  (We weren't averse to getting a second dog, but the stray was going to be twice the size of The Smart Dog when she finally got some food in her, and The Smart Dog absolutely did not like her.  He tolerates The Dumb Dog pretty well - tried to assert dominance for a while, but eventually learned she had no idea what he was going on about and just gave up  :P)

And that is why I think it should be a case by case thing. Because you obviously did the right thing and shouldn't be penalized for it. I did the same - stray cats were showing up. I couldn't take them all in so I took them to a no-kill shelter. And the shelter I took the cat to let me adopt him after 6 months because I couldn't stand that he wasn't being adopted and decided maybe I could make room for him after all! (He had FIV otherwise he would have flown out of there - he was that friendly).

wheeitsme

« Reply #1232 on: December 18, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »
We got our dog off of Craigslist.  They had a "suprise litter" thanks to the dog next door  ;)  and we wouldn't trade her for the world. 

But we looked on Craigslist because the rescue group near us wouldn't let us adopt.  We were hoping for a Lab/mix and we noted on our application that the dog would spend a large amount of time outside.  We were told that unless the dog spent at least 75 percent of its time inside that they didn't believe that we would consider it a member of the family and no dogs for us. 

We now have an electronic dog door, and guess what?  When the weather is nice she chooses to spend a majority of her time outside. 

Some of the dogs we looked at were still available months later.  And we felt so bad for them.  Labradors who will have to spend the majority of their lives inside.  :'(

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1233 on: December 18, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »
We got our dog off of Craigslist.  They had a "suprise litter" thanks to the dog next door  ;)  and we wouldn't trade her for the world. 

But we looked on Craigslist because the rescue group near us wouldn't let us adopt.  We were hoping for a Lab/mix and we noted on our application that the dog would spend a large amount of time outside.  We were told that unless the dog spent at least 75 percent of its time inside that they didn't believe that we would consider it a member of the family and no dogs for us. 

We now have an electronic dog door, and guess what?  When the weather is nice she chooses to spend a majority of her time outside. 

Some of the dogs we looked at were still available months later.  And we felt so bad for them.  Labradors who will have to spend the majority of their lives inside.  :'(

Again, it's on a case by case basis.  Our Lab/coonhound mix was found wandering the streets in February in Minnesota.  Temps below zero, snow and ice, etc.  He has nerve damage in one foot, and a scar where fur won't grow on another foot.  For him, outside is fine and good - for about ten minutes as long as you're outside with him.  He strongly prefers to be indoors. 

wheeitsme

« Reply #1234 on: December 18, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »

Again, it's on a case by case basis.  Our Lab/coonhound mix was found wandering the streets in February in Minnesota.  Temps below zero, snow and ice, etc.  He has nerve damage in one foot, and a scar where fur won't grow on another foot.  For him, outside is fine and good - for about ten minutes as long as you're outside with him.  He strongly prefers to be indoors.

I can understand that.  But we live in a much warmer and more rural area.  And with this rescue group it wasn't about health or safety.  They flat out told us that they didn't believe that anyone would consider any dog a member of the family if the dog didn't spend at least 75 percent of its life inside. 

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #1235 on: December 18, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
Just saw a Craigslist post begging for exercise equipment (treadmills, ellipticals, etc.) and new video game equipment (XBox One, PS4) because "I'm a working mother and don't have time to exercise outside the home." What?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1236 on: March 24, 2014, 07:56:12 PM »
Here's one:

SUBJ: "WANTED: Sofa/Dresser/Bedframe/TV/ETC"
"Not pickey but would prefer Black leather couch, black or white dresser,
any household items and minor appliances. Thank you!"

What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1237 on: March 25, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »
Just saw a Craigslist post begging for exercise equipment (treadmills, ellipticals, etc.) and new video game equipment (XBox One, PS4) because "I'm a working mother and don't have time to exercise outside the home." What?

If she has time to work out AT home, she can go for a walk. that's exercise, and FREE.

EMuir

« Reply #1238 on: March 25, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
Just a note from someone who's seen it from the other side... 90% of dogs and cats dropped off are "strays".  Even if they answer to their name and their favourite toy comes with them.  People don't want to have to pay the surrender fee (that is a suggested donation amount of $40).  So they lie.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1239 on: March 25, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »
Oh, the excuses I have heard from people that they couldn't just walk, they had to go buy special shoes first, and clothes, and a music player and on and on.

No, really, just wear a decent pair of shoes, your most comfortable t-shirt and go for a walk!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1240 on: March 25, 2014, 02:35:52 PM »

If she has time to work out AT home, she can go for a walk. that's exercise, and FREE.

Maybe, but the issue might be that she can't get time to leave the *house* to walk or jog.  If she has too many kids to push in a stroller, or her kids don't like stroller rides and scream, and they're too little to walk, it might make it hard for her to do it.  I briefly tried Couch25K, but it didn't work, because jogging/walking around the six houses around mine (about as far as I felt safe going--one house down, across the street, up three, across, then back down one to my house) without somebody thinking I was neglecting my little ones.  I can't push all four in a stroller and the bigger ones can't keep up, so I tried doing it during the little ones' naptime.  Jogging around six houses over and over is insanely boring and pointless.  I went back to doing Insanity instead.  :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1241 on: March 25, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »
True, but you don't need the newest hottest game systems to work out in the home. A yoga mat and some DVDs would work just as well, or buy a used Wii and balance board. Or a used PS2 and Dance Dance Revolution
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1242 on: March 25, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
True, but you don't need the newest hottest game systems to work out in the home. A yoga mat and some DVDs would work just as well, or buy a used Wii and balance board. Or a used PS2 and Dance Dance Revolution

ITA. I have no money to spend on a personal fitness trainer, a fitness club, or a new fitness DVD. And we just had the winter from hell, which made walking difficult many days. I do have a Wii fit and 2 Just Dance DVD's, so I use those. If I didn't have that, I have the ability to turn on the radio or put a CD on, and just dance around the house (it isn't pretty, but it's exercise). It's amazing how well that works. Also, people don't realize how small changes add up; park farther from the store entrance, walk the mall, take the stairs instead of the elevator. The possibilities are endless!

Amara

« Reply #1243 on: March 25, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »
I can top all of you today with the ad from CL looking for--ta da!--free housing:

Elder Hippie seeking communal environment

I bring years of experience in Organic's www.GoingOrrganic.com

I am a writer and work to change conditions on planet Earth for the better, wwwOneGlobePress.com

I have participated and facilitated in 40 years of Natural Healing , www.__SpiritHealing DOT com

I am looking for a loving exchange situation and somewhere to be and participate for the rest of my life

I do not have funds for rent but can make exchange in a good way

Currently in Socal

Have few health issues but noting contagious

Would love to have in put and ideas

Peace, in your house, J

otterwoman

« Reply #1244 on: March 25, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
I can top all of you today with the ad from CL looking for--ta da!--free housing:

Elder Hippie seeking communal environment

I bring years of experience in Organic's www.GoingOrrganic.com

I am a writer and work to change conditions on planet Earth for the better, wwwOneGlobePress.com

I have participated and facilitated in 40 years of Natural Healing , www.__SpiritHealing DOT com

I am looking for a loving exchange situation and somewhere to be and participate for the rest of my life

I do not have funds for rent but can make exchange in a good way

Currently in Socal

Have few health issues but noting contagious

Would love to have in put and ideas

Peace, in your house, J

There's a commune near me, so, you never know...