Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 205927 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1245 on: March 26, 2014, 08:35:21 AM »
I can top all of you today with the ad from CL looking for--ta da!--free housing:

Elder Hippie seeking communal environment

I bring years of experience in Organic's www.GoingOrrganic.com

I am a writer and work to change conditions on planet Earth for the better, wwwOneGlobePress.com

I have participated and facilitated in 40 years of Natural Healing , www.__SpiritHealing DOT com

I am looking for a loving exchange situation and somewhere to be and participate for the rest of my life

I do not have funds for rent but can make exchange in a good way

Currently in Socal

Have few health issues but noting contagious

Would love to have in put and ideas

Peace, in your house, J

There's a commune near me, so, you never know...

It reminds me of Portlandia.  :)

It reminds me of how poorly many people prepare for the retirement / elderly years   :(    Not in a judgey way, because sadly it's often beyond their control, rotten luck and life circumstances play a big role.  But others just don't seem to think of it. 

I like to imagine the elder hippie finding a place in a communal environment where he does have some skills of value to offer in exchange for food and a roof over his head.

He might be a really cool, quirky older guy to have around.  if one had an unused guest house or MIL suite or outbuilding, he might be fun to have around, (for a certain type of person or situation.)  I bet he has stories!    ;D

Honestly, I wouldn't mind supporting a roommate if he cleaned and cooked for me.  I'd even buy environment-friendly cleaning stuff and *maybe* organic vegetables. 
Just don't touch my cable tv.  I'm not giving that up.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1246 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43:36 AM »
What is a "loving exchange situation"?

alkira6

« Reply #1247 on: March 26, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »
The roommate thing might work. My friend Mary lived with a roommate for years who did not pay rent or buy groceries but she did all of the cleaning, shopping, and cooking. She also took care of all of the yardwork but moving.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1248 on: March 26, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »
If I had a small guest house and someone who LIKED doing yard work & household repairs (and was good at it) - I would be willing to consider letting them live there in exchange for the trade off.  But - I might need some electrical, plumbing, and even a bit of washer & dryer repairs in their skills list.  A semiretired large appliance repairman who liked to do gardening would be ideal...

But I would have veto power over what kind of plants got into my landscaping...nothing in the way of recreational pharmaceuticals.

Vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers, and even a relatively hidden patch of milkweed for the Monarch butterflies would be nice...and by herbs I mean mint, parsley, oregano, and the like...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #1249 on: March 26, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »
I would have my mother live with us rent-free - she is a great housekeeper, and also really unobstrusive (doesn't watch tv although will happily sit and join you if invited, is quiet, goes to bed early...).   Also she's great with kids.   She's already booked in to fly over when baby #2 arrives later this year, and I'm hoping she will make it a long stay this time!   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #1250 on: March 27, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »
A girl I know has a "pet hippie/biker". He came pre-installed when she bought her property. The terms of the sale were that she give him at least two months to find a new place, and by the end of the two months she was pretty much used to him and didn't want to give up his cooking skills.

So he lives in a basement apartment with his two cats, makes dinner for her most nights(she works from home, but hates to cook) and tells really wild stories to her kid. He also keeps an eye on her dog in the yard and once "took care" of a stalking ex. (He told her later that he couldn't have done much about the guy, but the guy didn't know that when a wild looking bearded man opened the door and growled for him to "get his bacon fed knave away from here")

No recreational drug use, and he doesn't pay rent but he buys groceries occasionally and she saves on produce because there doesn't seem to be a plant that doesn't love him. And since her family is in another state, her kiddo gets a grandpa figure whenever he needs one.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1251 on: March 27, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »
^ That? Is awesome.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1252 on: March 27, 2014, 05:45:47 PM »
I agree. I'd do without the rent for a live-in cook/bouncer/grandpa.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1253 on: March 27, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »
We actually have several friends that we would love to live on our (eventual) property for nothing more than their talents and abilities in exchange. My DH would be in heaven should that happen.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #1254 on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »
^ That? Is awesome.

+1.  What a win-win situation.  I am also loving the idea of having a "pet hippie/biker".    8)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1255 on: March 28, 2014, 08:42:36 AM »
My Inbox this morning - I have a laptop listed on Craigslist:

"hello am  willing to purchase the item urgently,Hope is still in excellent condition,Because i just want to purchase it as a present gift for my sister birthday gift. My form of payment would be via Paypal. you can read on how to signup with paypal at http://www.paypal.com/ and get back to me with your paypal name and email address to send the money once you signup.I am going to Add additional $100 to cover the shipping cost via USPS USPS Registered (express mail)  delivery to my friend place in west africa  .await to hear from you soon"

Signature was last name only, no caps.  I sent a "No, cash only, and I will NOT ship."  I also noted that they didn't tell me what they were interested in using the body of their message - so they could send this same message for a laptop, a game console, a printer, or anything at all that someone might ship to the address after getting a faux receipt from Paypal...

Because I know spam when I see it, but want to give the sender a gentle hint with a clue by two that I'm not falling for their "pitch".  Clue by four would be overkill, because they aren't going to stop TRYING to scam people...just letting them know that I'm not desperate enough to fall for their line of faux offers.

Same listing - I got TWO messages asking what my "firm price" was for "everything" - um, no comment about what the type of item is and I get specific as to what the price is in the ad?  You're either not reading the ad or trying to play dumb to set me up for some snake oil message - not really interested in trading my item for snake oil, so, not expecting this one to pay for my item, either.

Good thing I'd already decided that I'd rather keep the item than sell for less than my asking price, period.  There are some things that having a spare of is not the worst idea....
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:47:08 AM by VorFemme »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1256 on: March 28, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »
I understand your wariness, but I use Paypal exclusively for buying and selling unless it is from someone I know.

I would not pay cash for a laptop unless I knew the seller and had some recourse should it be defective.

Jones

« Reply #1257 on: March 28, 2014, 04:04:48 PM »
That particular message screams "scam" all over it, though.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1258 on: March 28, 2014, 05:55:10 PM »
I have gotten faux "receipts" that purported to be from PayPal when I get offered MORE money than the price and asked to ship the item.  Like this message mentioned...

I heard back from "him" - now he is upset because he is a "Man of GOD" and would not try to steal from me & his feelings are apparently hurt because I won't give him my PayPal address & accept "extra" money to go toward shipping & I can "keep the extra money".

Umm - I'm not licensed to export computers (#1); I don't ship (#2); I stated "cash only" in the ad (#3), and his...phrasing is ever so slightly off...rather like what happens when Spam is run through a translation website...so excuse me for wondering if this is a "real offer" or a "reel offer" (as in, he's fishing to get something for nothing).

Make that "being pretty sure it's not a real offer", in fact.  Spam in a con...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1259 on: March 28, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »
Yeah. I only accept PayPal receipts sent to my PayPal account, which is linked to an email I never use for any other personal correspondence.