Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 197504 times)

Jones

Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1260 on: March 28, 2014, 04:04:48 PM »
That particular message screams "scam" all over it, though.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1261 on: March 28, 2014, 05:55:10 PM »
I have gotten faux "receipts" that purported to be from PayPal when I get offered MORE money than the price and asked to ship the item.  Like this message mentioned...

I heard back from "him" - now he is upset because he is a "Man of GOD" and would not try to steal from me & his feelings are apparently hurt because I won't give him my PayPal address & accept "extra" money to go toward shipping & I can "keep the extra money".

Umm - I'm not licensed to export computers (#1); I don't ship (#2); I stated "cash only" in the ad (#3), and his...phrasing is ever so slightly off...rather like what happens when Spam is run through a translation website...so excuse me for wondering if this is a "real offer" or a "reel offer" (as in, he's fishing to get something for nothing).

Make that "being pretty sure it's not a real offer", in fact.  Spam in a con...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1262 on: March 28, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »
Yeah. I only accept PayPal receipts sent to my PayPal account, which is linked to an email I never use for any other personal correspondence.

KB

« Reply #1263 on: March 28, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
I have gotten faux "receipts" that purported to be from PayPal when I get offered MORE money than the price and asked to ship the item.  Like this message mentioned...

I heard back from "him" - now he is upset because he is a "Man of GOD" and would not try to steal from me & his feelings are apparently hurt because I won't give him my PayPal address & accept "extra" money to go toward shipping & I can "keep the extra money".

Umm - I'm not licensed to export computers (#1); I don't ship (#2); I stated "cash only" in the ad (#3), and his...phrasing is ever so slightly off...rather like what happens when Spam is run through a translation website...so excuse me for wondering if this is a "real offer" or a "reel offer" (as in, he's fishing to get something for nothing).

Yeah, that's why it's better to ignore/block those emails. It's quite hard to get rid of them once you've replied once.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1264 on: March 30, 2014, 05:35:42 AM »

If you accept this offer, the check/money order they send you for over the amount will be a forgery.  The plan is for you to deposit it into your bank account, then ship the overage (in cash or a certified check) to the sender along with the item they bought (are stealing) from you.

Then when the bank finds out what you deposited is a forgery, you are then liable for the money to the bank, have lost your item and are possibly facing jail time.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1265 on: March 30, 2014, 12:28:11 PM »

If you accept this offer, the check/money order they send you for over the amount will be a forgery.  The plan is for you to deposit it into your bank account, then ship the overage (in cash or a certified check) to the sender along with the item they bought (are stealing) from you.

Then when the bank finds out what you deposited is a forgery, you are then liable for the money to the bank, have lost your item and are possibly facing jail time.

Which is why the second response was "I don't ship, period, ever".  I haven't heard back from whoever it was.

I think that he got the idea either that I was wise to his attempted scam or that I wasn't going to fall for it in the first place. 

Laptop is still for sale, but since it's a spare that I can use (will slide out the hard drive I'm keeping & slide in the hard drive with the recovery partition if & when it sells) - I can wait.

I will sell no laptop before its time.  Windows 7 is good for a few more years....

Now to figure out if "it's" is the contraction or the possessive.  At the moment, I'm going with the possessive, because it clearly isn't the time that this laptop is ready to be sold.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:57:48 AM by VorFemme »

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1266 on: March 31, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »

Which is why the second response was "I don't ship, period, ever".  I haven't heard back from whoever it was.

I think that he got the idea either that I was wise to his attempted scam or that I wasn't going to fall for it in the first place. 

Laptop is still for sale, but since it's a spare that I can use (will slide out the hard drive I'm keeping & slide in the hard drive with the recovery partition if & when it sells) - I can wait.

I will sell no laptop before its time.  Windows 7 is good for a few more years....

Now to figure out if "it's" is the contraction or the possessive.  At the moment, I'm going before the possessive, because it clearly isn't the time that this laptop is ready to be sold.

Possessive should have no apostrophe, although that doesn't mean people (including I) don't goof it up.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

magicdomino

« Reply #1267 on: March 31, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »

Now to figure out if "it's" is the contraction or the possessive.  At the moment, I'm going before the possessive, because it clearly isn't the time that this laptop is ready to be sold.

Possessive should have no apostrophe, although that doesn't mean people (including I) don't goof it up.

Try substituting "it is" for its.

I will sell no laptop before it is time.  Nope, doesn't work, so "its" does not get an apostrophe, even though it is possessive.

It is time to sell the laptop.  Gets an apostrophe.

darling

« Reply #1268 on: March 31, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »
Someone posted offering feminine hygiene products again.  :P Just throw that away, please!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1269 on: March 31, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »

At the time I wrote the last sentence - "it's" was intended to be "it is".  The comment about "its time" as a possessive was intended as a pun, as it the proper time for that laptop to be sold.  If you remember the wine commercials about "will sell no wine before its time" - it was originally meant as the wine was allowed to age until it was READY to be sold.

But I guess the double meaning was too obscure.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #1270 on: March 31, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
Someone posted offering feminine hygiene products again.  :P Just throw that away, please!

I think that depends on the details: I don't see a problem with an unopened package of tampons or sanitary napkins, because the plastic wrap would protect them as well in someone's bathroom or cabinet as it did on the store shelf. If I had an opened package I no longer needed (which will probably happen one of these years, and it might be soon) I might offer it to a friend, or just leave it under the bathroom sink in case a visitor needed it sometime.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

snowfire

« Reply #1271 on: March 31, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
I got one of those "I want to buy your item, can you ship it to XXXXX for $$$$ cashiers check" scams.  Not on craigslist, however. It was a horse related site.  The item in question? Stud service (shipped semen) from our Shire stallion.  I was SOOOOOOO tempted to send them an envelope of something gooey.  >:D >:D >:D  I stuffed evil Snowfire back in her cage, however...

darling

« Reply #1272 on: March 31, 2014, 10:52:37 PM »

I think that depends on the details: I don't see a problem with an unopened package of tampons or sanitary napkins, because the plastic wrap would protect them as well in someone's bathroom or cabinet as it did on the store shelf. If I had an opened package I no longer needed (which will probably happen one of these years, and it might be soon) I might offer it to a friend, or just leave it under the bathroom sink in case a visitor needed it sometime.

Unfortunately, it wasn't that type of hygeine product...

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1273 on: March 31, 2014, 11:52:38 PM »

Unfortunately, it wasn't that type of hygeine product...

If it's the reusable kind, as long as it was boiled/washed really, really well, it shouldn't have any problems. I mean, if it was an internal device, I personally might be a bit squicked, but health-wise there's nothing wrong with using it.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1274 on: March 31, 2014, 11:58:15 PM »
If it's the reusable kind, as long as it was boiled/washed really, really well, it shouldn't have any problems. I mean, if it was an internal device, I personally might be a bit squicked, but health-wise there's nothing wrong with using it.

Okay, so I closed this thread, then went and told DH about snowfire's hilarious experience (because he wasn't really watching that stupid TV show anyway, right?) and then I came back and saw this and kinda mixed up the two in my mind.  And took me a minute to figure what kind of horse semen might possibly apply to this comment.