Author Topic: Meat and Cheese Tray?  (Read 8938 times)

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Meat and Cheese Tray?
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:42:12 PM »
So I want to put together a great meat and cheese tray (like you get in an italian restaurant drizzled with EVOO and balsalmic vinegarette...)

What meats/cheeses would you put on such a tray? I'm stuck at mozzarella and proscuitto!  They strike me as a great option, but I'm just not versed enough to know what goes well together.

I want to make it really tasty/interesting.  It's for a 6-person get-together...

Thanks in advance!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
Re: Meat and Cheese Tray?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Disclaimer:  I'm generally clueless when it comes to such things.

However, what about some salami and some provolone cheese?

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:54:46 PM »
Provolone would be a good  one to add as well as Parmigiana curls (so good with balsamic), also i have put balsamic on roast beef and Swiss sandwiches and it goes really well with both, but neither are super Italian.  

If you want to stick to Italian you could do some hard salami as well.  Also you could do chunks of chicken breasts.  May not be the most authentic but tasty and chicken does show up in Italian food often.  Maybe even marinate some fajita cut chicken in a garlic and herb oil.   (no not fajita flavor, just the cut/shape) I think you could make it fit in, but also give an option that is not quite as heavy and strong as the other suggested meats. Plus it would liven it up to have some other shapes besides slices.

You could also go ahead and do meat balls if you wanted.  

Can you tell us more about what you are trying to do? Are you going for more tasty or Italian?  Who is your audiance?  Are you going to do breads or crackers to go with it?  

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 02:23:37 PM »
Good Old Italian Anti-pasta

Meats: Hot Sobressada, Prosciutto, Salami (you can do the hard kind that's small and round & the larger thin sliced deli), Mortadella (Italian Bologna), Capocola

Cheese: Fresh Mozzarella, Provolone, Ricotta Salada, Pecorino Romano, Parmigiana Reggiano, Fontina

Other: Olives, Marinated Mushrooms, Roasted Red Peppers, Fresh Tomatoes, Sundried Tomatoes, Crusty Italian Bread, skinny breadsticks, foccacia bread
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:09:03 PM »
Red has a great list :)

I'd add Bressaola to the meats and roasted/grilled zucchini and aubergine and maybe marinated artichoke hearts to the "Other" category :)

Red1979

• Super Hero!
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 03:58:49 PM »
Some people also do pepperoncinos as well.  I'm not a big fan of them, so that's probably why I forgot to include them ;-)  I've also seen stuffed peppers on some meat/cheese anti-pasta trays too.  And the artichoke and grilled vegetable suggestion from magdalena is a great idea.

I mentiond a few typs of bread and I'd strongly suggest doing a nice mixed basket of different Italian breads.  If you go to a nice bakery or a supermarket with a nice bakery they should have a good selection.  You want to have a lot of variety to go with all the different items.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:53:43 AM »
I'm thinking of hitting whole foods for this -

It's a group of 5 women getting together at about dinner-time but not for dinner purposes. I'm doing light but filling appetizers to make sort of a buffet-type dinner experience. 

I've got quiches and shrimp and probably one other major app (dont know what yet), along with pita and humus/veggie tray, fondue fountain and drinks....

Any other suggestions for me? :) 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »
ZOMG this thread is KILLING me. Must have cheeeeeeese.
Words mean things.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 11:34:50 AM »
I'm thinking of hitting whole foods for this -

It's a group of 5 women getting together at about dinner-time but not for dinner purposes. I'm doing light but filling appetizers to make sort of a buffet-type dinner experience. 

I've got quiches and shrimp and probably one other major app (dont know what yet), along with pita and humus/veggie tray, fondue fountain and drinks....

Any other suggestions for me? :) 

How about something with chicken?  (Since you have fish, eggs and veggies--and most people enjoy chicken).  You could do ground chicken meatballs, chicken empanadas, chicken satay, chicken dumplings/potstickers, chicken egg rolls, chicken strips with interesting dipping sauces.
--Red

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 11:35:41 AM »
What a great idea Red -  I hadnt even thought of it like that...thank you!

peach2play

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 12:06:01 PM »
Cheddar cheese and summer sausage

magician5

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 01:45:24 PM »
Cubes of good feta
Hard salami
Good olives (for heaven's sake, no canned black olives)
Roasted sweet red pepper strips
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

lolane

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »
I'd put:

meat: Genoa salami, prosciutto, hot copa, mortadella and perhaps pepperoni or a different type of salami.

cheese: provolone, mozzarella,

other: olives, artichoke hearts, pepperonicini's

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
thanks guys! Lot's of good ideas here!